Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: which Buc draft pick AT THE TIME most made you wanna turn in your Pirate Flag « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #45 : February 20, 2013, 04:26:53 PM »

Booker Reese - 2nd rounder, '82.
Bucs could have had Dan Marino instead of Booker Reese
http://www.bucpower.com/feature-reese.html
And IIRC the pick they gave the Bears ended up being Willie Gault and he torched the Bucs for a number of years after that.  I agree Booker was the worst.
that made it even more egregious.

fanofkit

Pro Bowler

« #46 : February 20, 2013, 05:12:22 PM »

None. I always have some optimisim after the draft. I never assume some guy is automatically going to suck simply because he wasn't someone I projected.  The arrogance of some fans makes me laugh.

I don't see arrogance in these posts.  I find it hard to believe that anyone here was realy ready to "turn in their flag" after a pick.  Sure people may disagree with a pick and have their own opinion on what should have been done; the same way people second guess every facet of running a franchise.  Second guessing and debate is part of what makes football such a fun sport.  "We should have blitzed" "we shoud have run on third and short and kept the clock running..." etc...

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

« #47 : February 20, 2013, 07:08:21 PM »

As to the original question, I don't recall hating many 1st round picks, but I've hated a lot of 2nd and 3rd rounders - Dexter Jackson, Jeremy Zuttah, Sabby Piscitelli, Quincy Black, Jeremy Trueblood, Maurice Stovall, Chris Colmer, etc.

Did you really hate the Stovall and Quincy Black picks though? They were 3rd rounders and high potential guys.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

« #48 : February 20, 2013, 08:46:23 PM »

Josh Freeman.  Made me ill.  And I remember Chev got up and left the restaurant without saying a word.  And a groan went out in the room with people shaking their heads.  All the enthusiasm went out of the group for the rest of the draft.   I relented a bit.  But now I feel as tho I was right from the beginning.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #49 : February 20, 2013, 08:52:19 PM »

Josh Freeman.  Made me ill.  And I remember Chev got up and left the restaurant without saying a word.  And a groan went out in the room with people shaking their heads  All the enthusiasm went out of the group for the rest of the draft.   I relented a bit.  But now I feel as tho I was right from the beginning.

Sounds like many of the Sundays that #5 has taken the field...

watson

Hall of Famer
« #50 : February 21, 2013, 02:58:46 AM »

Booker Reese - 2nd rounder, '82.
Bucs could have had Dan Marino instead of Booker Reese
http://www.bucpower.com/feature-reese.html
And IIRC the pick they gave the Bears ended up being Willie Gault and he torched the Bucs for a number of years after that.  I agree Booker was the worst.
that made it even more egregious.
And to add fuel to the fire, it was later revealed that the 40 time he posted during the pro day at Bethune Cookman was done on a track that was less than 40 yards long.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #51 : February 21, 2013, 06:48:54 AM »

Please you people and the Freeman selection. You had no idea what he was bringing to the table.  He's by no means a bust like the other players mentioned in this thread.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #52 : February 21, 2013, 07:12:00 AM »

Please you people and the Freeman selection. You had no idea what he was bringing to the table.  He's by no means a bust like the other players mentioned in this thread.

But it does reveal the true reason so many on this board are openly rooting against him....they want to be proved right...

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #53 : February 21, 2013, 07:19:24 AM »

2. Another was Caddy. Just didn't think he was anything special as a RB, neither instincts, speed, or power, and it was known he couldn't block or catch, although he did over the years as a Buc learn.

this was my gripe.... how do you take a guy at 5 that wasn't even the best back on his team. There was nothing from his game tape that said 'special'.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #54 : February 21, 2013, 07:21:44 AM »

Does that mean no one could HATE the pick when it was made?

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
« #55 : February 21, 2013, 07:52:38 AM »

We had just as much of an idea as any other draft prospect, plus where does it say anywhere about players who turned into busts, it's about who was hated AT THE TIME of  the pick.
The scouting report on Freeman was he couldn't read a defense, looked down targets, basically the mental part of the game and low & behold what are his issues now? Those same mental problems.
Throw in that his ties to Morris were a huge part of the selection and the trade up to get him and it's easy to see why the pick was hated.

For me personally you can keep all the Freeman type measureables and give me a QB that has smarts, also I prefer a guy that isn't a "homer pick" by the new regime.
The only way to view that pick in a positive light was we had a massive need for a QB, failed in FA and attempts to trade for one so had to get one in the draft, problem was NONE of that years guys were very good prospects IMO, only Stafford has come close to proving me wrong.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #56 : February 21, 2013, 07:54:04 AM »

But it does reveal the true reason so many on this board are openly rooting against him....they want to be proved right...

The "I told you so crowd" - there's probably a segment of the Seattle Seahawks fanbase who questioned Russell Wilson's selection the same way when he was selected.

Oracle

Starter

« #57 : February 21, 2013, 08:41:21 AM »

1976   1   Lee Roy Selmon *†   Defensive end   Oklahoma   
1977   1   Ricky Bell *   Running back   USC   
1978   17   Doug Williams   Quarterback   Grambling   [a]
1979   No pick   
1980   22   Ray Snell   Guard   Wisconsin   
1981   7   Hugh Green   Linebacker   Pittsburgh   
1982   18   Sean Farrell   Guard   Penn State                            A huge mistake
1983   No pick   [c]
1984   No pick   [d]
1985   8   Ron Holmes   Defensive end   Washington                   IBID
1986   1   Bo Jackson *   Running back   Auburn   [e]                    Worst Ever as he told Culverhouse he wouldn't come to Tampa
1986   25   Rod Jones   Cornerback   SMU   [q]
1987   1   Vinny Testaverde *   Quarterback   Miami   [f]
1988   4   Paul Gruber   Offensive tackle   Wisconsin   
1989   6   Broderick Thomas   Linebacker   Nebraska   
1990   4   Keith McCants   Linebacker   Alabama                         Hmmm - a contender
1991   7   Charles McRae   Offensive tackle   Tennessee   
1992   No pick   [g]
1993   6   Eric Curry   Defensive end   Alabama                                A contender
1994   6   Trent Dilfer   Quarterback   Fresno State   
1995   12   Warren Sapp   Defensive tackle   Miami   [h]
1995   28   Derrick Brooks   Linebacker   Florida State   
1996   12   Regan Upshaw   Defensive end   California                      Another contender
1996   22   Marcus Jones   Defensive tackle   North Carolina   [j]
1997   12   Warrick Dunn   Running back   Florida State   [k]
1997   16   Reidel Anthony   Wide receiver   Florida   [l]                 With most of the league shying away from Florida/Spurrier wrs - the bucs try to buc the trend - with normal results
1998   No pick   [m]
1999   15   Anthony McFarland   Defensive tackle   LSU   
2000   No pick   [n]

2001   14   Kenyatta Walker   Offensive tackle   Florida   [p]  Picked him to move him from RT to LT - didn't work.  Might of so he is merely a mention
2002   No pick   [r]
2003   No pick   [r]
2004   15   Michael Clayton   Wide receiver   LSU                        Left me startled - as I literally did not know anything about him
2005   5   Carnell Williams   Running Back   Auburn              
2006   23   Davin Joseph   Guard   Oklahoma   
2007   4   Gaines Adams   Defensive End   Clemson   
2008   20   Aqib Talib   Cornerback   Kansas   
2009   17   Josh Freeman   Quarterback   Kansas State               Percy Harvin or the 5-6th ranked qb in a college conference... and we took the 5-6 ranked qb... made me physically ill. 
2010   3   Gerald McCoy   Defensive Tackle   Oklahoma   
2011   20   Adrian Clayborn   Defensive End   Iowa                      
2012   7   Mark Barron   Safety   Alabama   
31   Doug Martin   Running Back   Boise State

Great list, thanks for sharing that.   Sean Farrell was one of the best draft picks in Buccaneer history though.   

The picks that were really sickening at the time in my opinion were

Bo Jackson (He didn't want to play for the Bucs)
Gaines Adams (He had bust written all over him.  Eric Curry part 2)
Josh Freeman (Tebow was coming out the following season)
Kenyatta Walker (never impressed by him, not even college.  I wouldn't even have taken him in the 5th round, let alone trade 2 first round picks to get him.)
Keith McCants (he was injured and some said his career was over even before it started.  I actually wanted Emmitt Smith that year, but most were saying he was too slow to pick that high.)
Marcus Jones (Alstott was still on the board!   Luckily they got Alstott the following round.)
Mark Barron (Kuechly was the pick)
Ron Holmes (I wanted WR Eddie Brown that year)
Dexter Jackson (was there any doubt he'd be a bust?)
Lars Tate (they could have taken Thurman Thomas but traded down a few picks and picked Tate.   Not as mad at the Tate pick as the trade down with Thomas still on the board.)
Melvin Johnson (right after 2 great picks in Sapp and Brooks, they took Johnson.   I really wanted them to take Bobby Taylor with that pick.    Taylor played the same position and was higher rated by all the services than Johnson.  Taylor went on to have a stellar career with the Eagles and Melvin sucked.)

As it turns out, Freeman was the worst pick because he has set this team back at least 7 years.    But at the exact time the pick was made, the pick that pissed me off the most was Marcus Jones.    Luckily, I was only pissed for a very short time since they got Alstott with their next pick.   

Holy Facepalm

Starter
« #58 : February 21, 2013, 09:27:38 AM »

Yep, that's Java.

“There is going to be a Buccaneer way and they’re going to be Buccaneer men.’’
“There are 1,440 minutes in a day. What you make of them, that’s going to determine our success.’’

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #59 : February 21, 2013, 09:29:34 AM »

Ahhhh Regan Upshaw. Another terrible pick who never gets the mention he deserves.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: which Buc draft pick AT THE TIME most made you wanna turn in your Pirate Flag « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools