Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A different approach to the offseason « previous next »
Page: 1 2

swamp_bats

Starter
: February 20, 2013, 01:41:39 AM

It seems like the consenses around the boards is that we have to go defense, defense, defense in the draft and FA. I was wondering what everyones thoughts would be if we did something like this. Remember they always stress "it is all about number 5". I just get the feeling we could surprise everyone and go WR in round one.

Sign both Bennett brothers.
Resign Ronde and Blount on the cheap.
Cut Wright and give his money to a more deserving corner.
Cut Black and don't replace, just go with Hayward/Watson/Goode.
Give Mike Williams new deal,  bring back Miller and cut overpriced punter.

Round one : Keenan Allen WR Cal'
End round one or top of round 2 trade up : D.J. Flucker RT Bama
Middle to end Round 2 Trade up one of the many corners left like Logan Ryan Rutgers
Round 5: Marcus Lattimore
Round 6:Q.B., best one left...
Round 7: Maybe someone who can return kicks...

It would be the best, most stocked offense we ever had for sure.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#1 : February 20, 2013, 01:43:53 AM

A 3rd receiver in the 1st round? Noooo, If we're going offense, get a RT.

swamp_bats

Starter
#2 : February 20, 2013, 01:48:14 AM

Did you read the second draft pick? Also look at how some of the better offensive teams have drafted. Everytime you though the Colts would go defense they would draft another reciever and keep on scoring points. Why not a 3rd receiver in the first, by the time he is peaking and ready to take over V-jax will be on his way out or pushed to 3rd...

spurzo

Second String

#3 : February 20, 2013, 05:25:51 AM

Don't think everybody around here has been saying Defence the whole time.  Ppl are aware that one of the strengths of the drafts is the Dline though so lots have us taking Dline.  Allen doesn't make much sense because A)Cordarelle Patterson is the better prospect and there's tons of good receivers all the way through to Round 3.  B)What's the difference between Allen and Mike Williams, teams want different styles of receiver.  If we're taking a receiver in the first three rounds it'll be Tavon Austin, Marquise Goodwin or another burner type that offers a different style of receiver. 

Spider 2 Y Banana

Hall of Famer

#4 : February 20, 2013, 11:19:49 AM

It seems like the consenses around the boards is that we have to go defense, defense, defense in the draft and FA. I was wondering what everyones thoughts would be if we did something like this. Remember they always stress "it is all about number 5". I just get the feeling we could surprise everyone and go WR in round one.

Sign both Bennett brothers.
Resign Ronde and Blount on the cheap.
Cut Wright and give his money to a more deserving corner.
Cut Black and don't replace, just go with Hayward/Watson/Goode.
Give Mike Williams new deal,  bring back Miller and cut overpriced punter.

Round one : Keenan Allen WR Cal'
End round one or top of round 2 trade up : D.J. Flucker RT Bama
Middle to end Round 2 Trade up one of the many corners left like Logan Ryan Rutgers
Round 5: Marcus Lattimore
Round 6:Q.B., best one left...
Round 7: Maybe someone who can return kicks...

It would be the best, most stocked offense we ever had for sure.

Assuming we do this...who plays corner?  I realize you have 1, but we need more than just a 2nd round guy, especially if we dont restructure Wright.  We could have the greatest offense ever, but if we are trotting out a secondary like last year, whats the point?

Every time I see last post JC5100, I have to click on it.... Pure comedy.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#5 : February 20, 2013, 11:27:04 AM

Assuming we do this...who plays corner?  I realize you have 1, but we need more than just a 2nd round guy, especially if we dont restructure Wright.  We could have the greatest offense ever, but if we are trotting out a secondary like last year, whats the point?

sean smith, logan ryan, ej biggers, leonard johnson, and anthony gaitor/danny gorrer.     i could deal with that.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Spider 2 Y Banana

Hall of Famer

#6 : February 20, 2013, 11:37:24 AM

sean smith, logan ryan, ej biggers, leonard johnson, and anthony gaitor/danny gorrer.     i could deal with that.

I would be ok with that as well, even if you switch out those first two with say a Cox/Rhodes or DRC/Trufant...any number of combos.  If we go WR at #13 I might just vomit. 

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#7 : February 20, 2013, 11:42:24 AM

History shows you're much more likely to find an impact WR in the top 15 and an impact RT at 45 than a RT at 15 and WR at 45.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Spider 2 Y Banana

Hall of Famer

#8 : February 20, 2013, 11:44:33 AM

History shows you're much more likely to find an impact WR in the top 15 and an impact RT at 45 than a RT at 15 and WR at 45.

While this is true, good slot WR can be taken in the 100-200 range.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#9 : February 20, 2013, 11:46:43 AM

Very true, but I think the logic is if you draft Allen, he's only going to be your slot receiver for a year or two. By 2015, he's going to be your #1 WR and a better #1 WR than anyone available between 100-200.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

swamp_bats

Starter
#10 : February 20, 2013, 05:00:58 PM

Very true, but I think the logic is if you draft Allen, he's only going to be your slot receiver for a year or two. By 2015, he's going to be your #1 WR and a better #1 WR than anyone available between 100-200.
Exactly, like I said. Cut Wright and give his money to a better corner, ANY corner that is out there.
Draft another corner in second but Keenan Allen in the first would really put this offense over the top. They say he is most like Anquan Boldin and we all just saw in the Superbowl how good he is. DOn't even think of him as "just a slot reciever" because they will probably continue to run V-jax a lot from the slot. Think of it as more like 3 starter receivers.
Next years stat line:
V-jax 75 catches, 1200 yards, 10 T.D,s
Mike Will 70 catches 1000 yards 12 T.D.s
Keenan Allen 60 catches 850 yards 7 T.Ds
Marcellus Bennett 55 catches 700 yards 6 T.Ds
Doug Martin 40 catches 550 yards 4 T.Ds (plus 1500 yards and 14 T.D.s on ground)

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

#11 : February 20, 2013, 05:12:34 PM

CB has to be the target in the 1st.

Milliner, Banks, Trufant, maybe Rhodes
I would target WR Tavon Austin or a TE in the 2nd
: February 20, 2013, 05:41:32 PM SWAGGANEER

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#12 : February 20, 2013, 05:36:06 PM

Why would we cut Koenen? $3.2mil in terms of the entire teams cap, is not very much. Cutting him just creates another hole and you are doing so to save next to nothing.

..and if we are going WR in the 1st round, give me Patterson.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

swamp_bats

Starter
#13 : February 20, 2013, 05:51:17 PM

Why would we cut Koenen? $3.2mil in terms of the entire teams cap, is not very much. Cutting him just creates another hole and you are doing so to save next to nothing.

..and if we are going WR in the 1st round, give me Patterson.
3.2 is a lot for a punter, and we just signed Henry this week and funny enough they just posted an article on this site today about the punter competition so I'm not that far off. Koenen isn't exactly the best punter around.
CB has to be the target in the 1st.

Milliner, Banks, Trufant, maybe Rhodes
I would target WR Tavon Austin or a TE in the 2nd
sigh at wanting us to need draft, worst approach you can have. This years CB crop doesn't scream draft me in round one please...

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#14 : February 20, 2013, 06:05:58 PM

They will eventually have more than one PK on the roster as well, that doesn't mean that Barth's job will be in jeopardy.

While Koenen may not be the best punter in the league, he is player that serves his purpose and is good at punting as well as KO duties. Cutting him does nothing to help us cap-wise and replaces a solid player for a player who could end up sucking and leading to another revolving door situation at the P position. I understand the $ issue that people have, but cutting him does not make the team better from either a personnel standpoint, nor a financial standpoint.

The average salary of the top 8 punters salary-wise, ranges between $2mil and $3.6mil. Koenen is tucked in there at #3 and will be left alone, until he stops being a quality punter.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A different approach to the offseason « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools