Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: They would definitely make a nice tandem in the secondary... « previous next »
Page: 1

yungbull

Starter
: February 21, 2013, 12:45:00 AM

One can only dream for now, but acquiring and NOT over paying for Revis and selecting Logan in the 2nd/3rd would be a tremendous upgrade in the secondary.  Pairing these two with another FA pickup at CB and FS, and a more experienced Barron would make the secondary our strongest unit after a healthy OL.

Logan Ryan takes to desert for NFL Combine preparations, working out with Darrelle Revis

Every training facility that Logan Ryan considered for his pre-NFL Combine work offered the ability to improve the one thing he knows scouts have the most concerns about: His 40 time.

But only one, in Ryans mind, included the personnel to help hone his cornerback skills as well. Thats why the former Rutgers star finds himself working out -- next to a rehabbing Darrelle Revis, no less -- almost every day now at Fischer Sports in Phoenix.

The biggest reason why Im here and not in Florida or somewhere else is because of the whole defensive back aspect, Ryan said by phone from Arizona today. I feel like this is a place where Im going to come back to my whole career and Im really becoming a better defensive back.

I feel like Im training with one of the best defensive back coaches in the country in Will Sullivan and this is where Darrelle Revis is rehabbing. Im learning a lot from him, just being around him every day and picking his brain. So I have that and the guy who trains Darrelle Revis, among many other great defensive backs, working with me.

Ryan draft status, at this point, appears promising. He is rated anywhere from the third-best corner to the seventh-best in the coming draft, and is projected by most talent evaluators to be a second-round pick.

But after leaving Rutgers with a year of eligibility remaining, the 6-0, 190-pounder knows that his draft position will hinge on the NFL Combine that runs from Feb. 20-26 in Indianapolis.

Specifically, it will be his 40 time there that will most impact where and when he goes.

FOLLOW RUTGERS FOOTBALL AROUND THE CLOCK
Download our free NJ.com mobile and tablet apps to keep up with the latest Rutgers football news, analysis, photos, videos and stats.

Thats true, but thats not just me, said Ryan, a first-team All-Big East selection this season. As a football player, unless youre a track guy, you dont know how well youre going to run the 40. Its something you dont do often. I think a lot of us would tell you we probably have run a 40 maybe two or three times in our life.

Its not something we work on. We work on playing football. But its something that gets a lot of attention and if you want to be one of the elite cornerbacks in the NFL, or get drafted high, youve got to run a great 40. Its just the way it is. So I know the importance of running a great 40 and I think I will run a great 40.

Ryan wouldnt say where he is with the 40, but projections have him running somewhere between a 4.5 to 4.45.

The rest of his credentials appear to be in order after he was the Scarlet Knights second-leading tackler with 94 and led the Big East in pass break-ups with 17. During his two years as a starter, Ryan proved himself to be a physical corner, a sure tackler and stellar in coverage.

I think I can be one of the elite corners coming out this year, said Ryan, who starred at Eastern High School before Rutgers. I dont think anyone has outworked me right now. Thats how Ive been my whole career. Your tape is your tape. What youve done in college is over and now its about preparing your numbers because you get broken down by numbers, whether its fair or not.

Its about peaking at the right time for the NFL Combine.

Following the NFL Combine, Ryan said he will attend Rutgers Pro Day on March 13 on campus.

I think its going to be the best pro day Rutgers has ever had with the number of players and the caliber of talent we have this year, he said.

Tom Luicci: tluicci@starledger.com; twitter.com/tomluicci

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2013/01/former_rutgers_cb_logan_ryan_t.html

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#1 : February 21, 2013, 12:53:26 AM

Might have to trade away the fourth to move up and snag him. He is a good cb by all accounts. Signing a guy like Smith, or swinging a deal for Revis (maybe our first and LGB)?...having this kid. Secondary is instantly better regardless of rookie expectations.

But Bucs need better pass "pressurers" or the secondary gets lit regardless.

Is Nnamdi still available?

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 21, 2013, 01:07:52 AM

He hasn't been cut...yet.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

yungbull

Starter
#3 : February 21, 2013, 01:25:23 AM

Hopefully if we do sign Nmandi itll go better than the Fat Albert experiment in 2011.  Also, not sure im sold on Smith, opinions on him by scouts say he's big physical guy but lacks the ball skills of top CB.  I Really don't want to overpay for another mid tier corner. Besides, isn't MIA in cap heaven, why aren't they keeping hiM?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#4 : February 21, 2013, 08:35:29 AM

Also, not sure im sold on Smith, opinions on him by scouts say he's big physical guy but lacks the ball skills of top CB.  I Really don't want to overpay for another mid tier corner.

thats just life in FA.  no one really wants to overpay for a top tier corner (ie revis) either. 

id be thrilled with smith in FA and logan ryan in the 2nd/3rd.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#5 : February 21, 2013, 09:04:10 AM

Probably the first CB taken in 2014 if he didn't decide to skip his senior year.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#6 : February 21, 2013, 09:25:54 AM

In another thread I was halfway joking about revis and banks. Ryan and revis would also be a tough duo.

yungbull

Starter
#7 : February 21, 2013, 10:54:49 AM

NFL.com seems to think he's pretty raw and only the 16th best corner available since he's raw and lacks great speed.  If this is at all true, he seems like somebody that would be available in the 3rd/4th or even 5th round. 

LOGAN RYAN, CB  RUTGERS

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Good size for a corner. Extremely physical. Active all across the field, and not afraid to come up an participate in the run game. Reckless abandon for his body, but still a sound tackler. Constantly around the football, makes plays on the ball. Intelligent. Experience with both man and zone coverage. Fluid hips.

WEAKNESSES Still raw in terms of technique. Lacks blazing speed. As a result, will fly his hips open far to quickly to compensate, leading to a lot of short completions. Will get too grabby and not turn his head to find ball, which will result in penalties in the NFL.
NFL COMPARISON Dunta Robinson

BOTTOM LINE Teams that value physicality and tackling ability from their corners will surely like Ryan. He's an active, physical player that often finds himself around the football. He's not the fastest, and will need to clean up his technique in order to be successful at the next level, but he is still likely to be a second-day selection.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#8 : February 21, 2013, 12:10:11 PM

yungbull, the report says "second day" - that's round 2 the way they run the draft now.

yungbull

Starter
#9 : February 21, 2013, 04:02:07 PM

yungbull, the report says "second day" - that's round 2 the way they run the draft now.

Good point, i overlooked that.  That analysis/ranking seems to contradict itself if that's the case.  A  16th ranked cb getting selected in the second?  Will there really be 10+ corners selected in the first 2 rounds??
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: They would definitely make a nice tandem in the secondary... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools