Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano: Josh Freeman is our QB « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Al Bundy

Pro Bowler

« : February 21, 2013, 11:55:32 AM »

Clark Judge ‏@ClarkJudgeCBS

Greg Schiano on TB's QB situation: "Josh Freeman is our QB, and I believe with Josh Freeman we'll be able to accomplish our goals."

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #1 : February 21, 2013, 12:04:33 PM »

and he has the 2013 season to prove it...

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #2 : February 21, 2013, 12:25:45 PM »

That's a statement of fact.  Not sure why this is thread-worthy.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
« #3 : February 21, 2013, 12:26:30 PM »

That's a statement of fact.  Not sure why this is thread-worthy.

Have you seen some of the threads?

Sailing2smth

Starter

« #4 : February 21, 2013, 12:27:38 PM »

Just read this over on nfl.com - makes sense because not many options in FA or draft.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #5 : February 21, 2013, 12:45:19 PM »

Schiano's quote verbatim (JBF)

“I am glad you brought that up because at the end of the season, the day after the final game, I probably said something that got a lot more attention than I meant for it to do. Really, it was about every year that I have been a head coach I step back and I evaluate every phase of our program and it starts with me. So that takes a while. I even said I didn’t know if I was the right guy, let’s figure this out.

“Then I went through every assistant coach and then as a staff, we went through every single player in a series of evaluations. But the one thing I believe in whether it is as coaches or as players, in our whole life we have grown up in competitive athletics and that competition is healthy. So I made the statement that I wanted competition at every position. My fault, but it kind of stood out at the quarterback position more than any other. Josh Freeman is our quarterback. And I believe Josh Freeman – with Josh Freeman – we will be able to accomplish our goals. So, that is my belief and our organization’s belief.

“I have been busy and I hadn’t had a chance to clear that up. I’m glad I had the opportunity to today

sunrisejeff

Hall of Famer
« #6 : February 21, 2013, 01:21:34 PM »

Until he isn't

beardmcdoug

Pro Bowler

« #7 : February 21, 2013, 01:59:39 PM »

I really think its as simple as this:

we draft a mid-late round qb for competition no matter what

we make the playoffs, freeman stays, we don't, he's gone

then we look FA qb's if our drafted QB is not ready after riding the pine for a year

But I really do think next year is ride or die with freeman

JC5100

Hall of Famer

« #8 : February 21, 2013, 02:12:35 PM »

then we look FA qb's if our drafted QB is not ready after riding the pine for a year

It's not that simple.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #9 : February 21, 2013, 02:31:00 PM »

So Im curious now for the fans POV, what does Freeman need to do this year to stay or get another contract?? I guess for me hes gotta improve off of what hes done this past season. I think some of those games where he threw multiple picks can be toned down and I think they will. So decision making needs to be better. Of course we all know his accuracy can improve. I think we know his leadership can improve. Hes on his fifth year now?? Be the leader of that offense. Dont **CENSORED** or blame others, take responsiblity for this offense and how it plays. I think we have all said that he could run a bit more. I just think thats an option you need to have now days. Especially if your QB isnt as accurate as you want him to be. Schiano would be wise to take off that brace and let him go. Id like to see a TE brought in to help open things up. As well as a slot guy. Of course our defense needs to improve if we want to get any further in the standings or playoffs. These are all things I think would help get Freeman a new contract here.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #10 : February 21, 2013, 02:39:20 PM »

Improvement of:

Knowledge, Execution and Accuracy.  Summarized over his career thus far - the simple fact is he is average.  and Average won't do...   even for the forever QB bereft bucs.

Josh must become a vocal VETERAN leader and back it up on the field...  no excuses. (I believe part of this is on Schiano and Sullivan to endorse this to the team specifically at earliest opportunity.)

I'm a Freeman supporter.   He's our QB for 2013.   My expectations have been lowered since we drafted him, but I have not lost hope.     

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #11 : February 21, 2013, 02:46:02 PM »

We had the 9th most productive offense in the league last year. Freeman was the 10th most productive QB. We were 15th in rushing with Doug 5th overall. Half of Freeman's interceptions were in two consecutive games. If he plays for another decade, that will never happen again. VJax set personal records in his first season with Freeman for number of catches and for yardage, despite playing in a new system for new coaches. His previous QBs were Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers. He missed matching his TD record by one. Logic would dictate that, in a second season, Freeman will break his franchise records for TDs and yardage. In the process he should become more consistent. The return of Joseph and Nicks surely will make him more comfortable, more accurate, and less likely to turn the ball over. Another productive RB would be nice, and an impact TE would help. Our offense can easily move up into the top 5 without a whole lot of help. Freeman was a major factor in the team ranking 9th.

A defense ranked 15th would be enough to get the Bucs in the playoffs. Barron needs some competent help. Freeman needs more experience in this system with these people, and they need it too.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #12 : February 21, 2013, 02:51:18 PM »

Good that Schiano cleared that up. Also good he's been BUSY ;D
    Looking forward to the addition of McNulty to our offensive  brain-trust. Hope him and Sullivan kick Josh & our O into another gear this year!!
    We really don't know where Orlovsky is development-wise. He may be fine as a legit b/u going forward...
« : February 21, 2013, 02:53:47 PM NotDeadYet »

beardmcdoug

Pro Bowler

« #13 : February 21, 2013, 02:58:02 PM »

It's not that simple.

Unless he flat out stinks it up - i'm talking 3-4 ints in the first round of the playoffs... you really think the Bucs would hit the reset button at quarterback? On a guy that has set multiple team records?

Keep in mind that next year's offense is 1 player away from being elite (a TE or slot receiver - either could be had in FA / Draft)

and that we're definitely addressing CB in the FA or draft... and with AC back healthy... our D should be pretty legit

this team is about to snowball into success with all of our "young guys" becoming veterans...

so unless freeman completely implodes, I just don't see where we're going to find anything better for us RIGHT NOW - and no, Russell Wilson and Colin Kap are not a dime a dozen - and we're not about to go shell out a ton of money for a top FA QB (if there are any....) because the rest of the team is about to cost us more and more money

but yes, I agree that he of course needs to improve in the mental game, but with his back up against the wall, and all the time in the world to prepare for the biggest season of his life... I think he'll pull through... and I think we'll end up resigning him whether the fans like it or not...

JC5100

Hall of Famer

« #14 : February 21, 2013, 03:03:06 PM »

It's not that simple.

Unless he flat out stinks it up - i'm talking 3-4 ints in the first round of the playoffs... you really think the Bucs would hit the reset button at quarterback? On a guy that has set multiple team records?

Keep in mind that next year's offense is 1 player away from being elite (a TE or slot receiver - either could be had in FA / Draft)

and that we're definitely addressing CB in the FA or draft... and with AC back healthy... our D should be pretty legit

this team is about to snowball into success with all of our "young guys" becoming veterans...

so unless freeman completely implodes, I just don't see where we're going to find anything better for us RIGHT NOW - and no, Russell Wilson and Colin Kap are not a dime a dozen - and we're not about to go shell out a ton of money for a top FA QB (if there are any....) because the rest of the team is about to cost us more and more money

but yes, I agree that he of course needs to improve in the mental game, but with his back up against the wall, and all the time in the world to prepare for the biggest season of his life... I think he'll pull through... and I think we'll end up resigning him whether the fans like it or not...

I was talking about your implication of replacing him. You said if we miss the playoffs then he's gone. Well he had 25/6 in 2010 and we missed the playoffs and was 25/8 this year and the team was 6-7. So how much sense does that make.
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano: Josh Freeman is our QB « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools