Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Trades that make sense..... Alex Smith will only be the first to go « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: February 28, 2013, 12:02:57 AM

Matt Williamson‏@WilliamsonNFL

Who else could be in Revis trade market besides #49ers and #Buccaneers ?

Trades that make sense: Alex Smith will only be the first to go

By Jason La Canfora | NFL Insider

The 49ers have made it clear they are moving Alex Smith and he will not be a part of the team this year. (USATSI)

INDIANAPOLIS --

There is going to be at least one significant trade this offseason. This much we know.

The San Francisco 49ers will trade Alex Smith, and, according to league sources, the deal has effectively already been agreed to. No trades can be official until the league year begins March 12, so nothing can be finalized now, but sources said the two teams involved have the key terms in place at this point, and will finalize it down the road.

Darrelle Revis to the Bucs for a 1st and third:

The Jets will explore options to deal Revis, sources said. The timing of his ACL injury and the fact that he can make a very compelling case to be the game's highest paid defensive player make it tough. "It's not going to be an easy trade to make," one GM told me. "Any time you have to give up picks that high, and pay the player that much money, it's going to limit the options." Still, this is a player still plenty young enough who would be in the discussion of top five players in the NFL, regardless of position.

The Jets know they face a very real risk of losing Revis for nothing after the 2013 season, and the window to get some value for him is now. The question will be can they get a first-rounder now? Will be tough, especially a high first rounder. But still, might a team offer a second now, and, if Revis hits certain benchmarks in terms of playing time and performance, the future pick becomes a first rounder? There are ways to get creative. Tampa is still looking to be aggressive, tightening up the back end of the defense would be vital, and they were going to have corner Eric Wright on the books for $7.7 million (it's all but certain he will be released). So Revis at $14-$15 million a year, or Wright at $8 million?

To me Tampa is one of several teams that should at least deeply explore what exactly the price for Revis will be (in terms of picks and contractually). Buffalo and Miami could badly use him, but I don't see the Jets trading him in the division. He is precisely the kind of lock-down corner new Jags head coach Gus Bradley covets (but picking second overall, dealing a 2013 first-rounder for Revis wouldn't really work; perhaps a future one?).

In the end, maybe the Jets can't get what they feel is close enough to fair value for Revis. We shall see.

Percy Harvin to the Dolphins for a 2 and a 4:

Miami needs playmakers, desperately. And let's say Greg Jennings ends up re-signing in Green Bay, and let's say teams blanch at paying Mike Wallace $11 million a season. Harvin can do it all and is just entering his prime and Miami is bracing for the departure of Reggie Bush. They could line up Harvin everywhere and he would immediately be Ryan Tannehill's best option.

If the Dolphins are losing a lot of talent -- and they could end up losing four of the following five players: Sean Smith, Jake Long, Randy Starks, Brian Hartline and Bush. They need to offset that somehow, and it can't be just through free agency. The Vikings brass is still mulling its options with Harvin internally, and though GM Rick Spielman said at the combine he does not "intend" to deal Harvin, they know if they don't get him re-signed this offseason they could risk losing him.

If a deal comes along that makes sense, I suspect the Vikings listen. Given the situation they're in, I don't see them getting a first rounder here, but, especially if more receivers end up getting franchised or re-signed by their current teams than expected, the market for Harvin could get pretty interesting if the Vikings shop him.

Matt Flynn to the Jags for a 4th or 5th round pick:

Seattle isn't under the gun to deal Flynn the way San Francisco is with Smith, but it would certainly love to deal him if it makes sense. There is no mystery to that. Jacksonville needs competition for Blaine Gabbert, Bradley was in Seattle with Flynn and would have a good sense about him.

Flynn hasn't played much, but when he has, he has shined. Given the state of Jacksonville's quarterbacking situation, almost anything would be an upgrade. Again, the Jags could end up being the team for Smith, but given the dearth of options in free agency, and with the Jags having an aggressive ownership group, and new GM and coach, getting the chance to find out how good Flynn could be would be worth a fifth-round pick in my estimation, if not a fourth.

Rolando McClain to the Ravens for a 7th round pick:

Baltimore is very thin at interior linebacker, with Ray Lewis departing. And given the overall strength of the locker room and front office, the Ravens have been willing to take risks on troubled players. McClain's constant stream of legal issues and arrests puts him a unique category among troubled players, and maybe he is too much of a bad seed and locker room issue to even think about bringing in.

But Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome went to Alabama, knows the program inside out, is very close to Nick Saban and maybe is the one guy who could talk some sense into the recent top-10 pick and find some value there. McClain has been a bust, and maybe no one touches him. But with Lewis leaving and Dannell Ellerbe a free agent and linebacker Jameel McClain dealing with a serious neck issue, I'm just thinking out loud a moment here.

Regardless, McClain has worn out his welcome in Oakland and the Raiders will try to get something for him if possible.

bucs449

Hall of Famer

#1 : February 28, 2013, 12:08:55 AM

The picks are a lot, but I never thought about that regarding Wright. When he's (hopefully) released, it'll save about 8 million this year and Revis should cost about 14 million a year. Interesting way to look at it. Revis would make a lot more sense than Wright at that price. If its just a 1 this year and a mid round pick next year, I'd be 100% down.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 28, 2013, 01:48:45 AM

A first this year, and a third next year,  I would be ok with, assuming he is willing to sign a reasonable long term contract. And pass a physical.

But if the Niners offered basically the same deal, its a no brainer he picks the Niners.  Better chance of postseason action.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

bucs449

Hall of Famer

#3 : February 28, 2013, 11:59:55 AM

A first this year, and a third next year,  I would be ok with, assuming he is willing to sign a reasonable long term contract. And pass a physical.

But if the Niners offered basically the same deal, its a no brainer he picks the Niners.  Better chance of postseason action.

I don't think he has that ability in his contract.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#4 : February 28, 2013, 02:53:18 PM

He could refuse to sign a long term contract.  So if your the Jags or whoever, you get him for one season only.  Or he can stay with the Jets for one more.  Either way, he is a free agent after 2013 season.

Unless he likes where he is traded too, and signs the long term deal. So he does have some leverage.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#5 : February 28, 2013, 03:11:59 PM

If this trade did happen, (I don't want it to) I would say the second pick would most definitely have to be from next year's draft and would be conditional. As high as a 3rd or as low as a 6th depending on how good or bad he plays.

Draft Aaron Donald

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#6 : February 28, 2013, 04:27:15 PM

If this trade did happen, (I don't want it to) I would say the second pick would most definitely have to be from next year's draft and would be conditional. As high as a 3rd or as low as a 6th depending on how good or bad he plays.

Agree.   And as fewer and fewer teams seem to be interested, the price is dropping.  It could get interesting  in the next week or two.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#7 : February 28, 2013, 05:06:46 PM

Agree.   And as fewer and fewer teams seem to be interested, the price is dropping.  It could get interesting  in the next week or two.

The Jets price might be dropping, but Revis' won't. Dude isn't going to go along with any trade that doesn't involve a new deal for $16M/year.

Draft Aaron Donald

gone

Hall of Famer
#8 : February 28, 2013, 07:28:49 PM

He could refuse to sign a long term contract.  So if your the Jags or whoever, you get him for one season only.  Or he can stay with the Jets for one more.  Either way, he is a free agent after 2013 season.

Unless he likes where he is traded too, and signs the long term deal. So he does have some leverage.

He has a lot more than "some" leverage.  He has "all" the leverage. He can pick wherever he wants to go, period.  Not sure what bucs449 thinks his contract has to do with him not being able to pick. There isn't a team in the league that will pay more than a late round pick on the guy if he isn't interested in staying there for longer than one season.  Jets have no choice but to deal him to a team of his choice.  The balancing act is getting that team to pay for him.  Basically the only thing the pick you would trade for him is to get a single year.  The long term contract is separate.

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

#9 : February 28, 2013, 08:08:58 PM

The Jets price might be dropping, but Revis' won't. Dude isn't going to go along with any trade that doesn't involve a new deal for $16M/year.
La Canfora couldn't have said it any better...

So Revis at $14-$15 million a year, or Wright at $8 million?

Revis is 100x better than Wright is and you would only pay 2x as much as Wright is making. Sean Smith whom a lot of the posters want will probably command 10M/yr. after seeing what previous CB's signed for with lesser talent.

Revis makes perfect sense for the Bucs. Offer the Jets our 1st (2013) and a 3rd (2014) and if Revis hits certain benchmarks in terms of playing time and performance, as well as signs a new contract, the 2014 pick becomes a 2nd.

Bucs sign Revis to 5yr/70M
: February 28, 2013, 08:11:09 PM SWAGGANEER

Hate

Hall of Famer
#10 : February 28, 2013, 08:38:03 PM

What's reasonable?

-------------------------------------------------------

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#11 : February 28, 2013, 08:41:42 PM

That's the question Hate...   

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#12 : February 28, 2013, 08:49:34 PM

That's the question Hate...

$20mil per is outta the question for me

-------------------------------------------------------

ctymniak

Second String

#13 : February 28, 2013, 08:50:15 PM

I would drop a 3rd and Blount.  They would even take Benn.  The Jets need a RB and WR's they would value our players at there contracts as much as a pick.  I don't see any team dropping a 1st on a 15 million $ player coming off a MCL injury.  Especially in the back half of the draft what team do you see with the cash on hand to pay for him. 

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#14 : February 28, 2013, 09:25:26 PM

Why would anyone sign him long term until this season plays out to MAKE SURE HE CAN PLAY?
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Trades that make sense..... Alex Smith will only be the first to go « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools