Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Trades that make sense..... Alex Smith will only be the first to go « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#30 : March 01, 2013, 08:09:08 AM

I would be pissed if we make this trade. Revis is the Best player at his position but we are not ready to sell the farm to become a Super Bowl team. Besides this year is deep with talented linemen and a some depth at cb in the mid rounds

Revis is only 27, so he would be around another 5-6 years.  He could be our Hardy Nickerson of the 2000"s

You do know he blew his knee out, right?  So where does that come into your equation?

You do know medical science has improved leaps and bounds in the last decade, right? Guys are coming back faster than ever from those type of injuries. I don't know if it's HGH or Deer Antlers or what - but its working.  I'm sure the Bucs medical staff will do a thorough evaluation of Revis' knee before saying go for it.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#31 : March 01, 2013, 08:11:32 AM

If the niners want to match our offer and he wants to go there instead then so be it. Id do the deal if its right,  but I wouldn't get into a bidding war.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#32 : March 01, 2013, 12:05:28 PM

I would be pissed if we make this trade. Revis is the Best player at his position but we are not ready to sell the farm to become a Super Bowl team. Besides this year is deep with talented linemen and a some depth at cb in the mid rounds

Revis is only 27, so he would be around another 5-6 years.  He could be our Hardy Nickerson of the 2000"s

You do know he blew his knee out, right?  So where does that come into your equation?

You do know medical science has improved leaps and bounds in the last decade, right? Guys are coming back faster than ever from those type of injuries. I don't know if it's HGH or Deer Antlers or what - but its working.  I'm sure the Bucs medical staff will do a thorough evaluation of Revis' knee before saying go for it.

Not my point.  I'm sure the Bucs will do their due diligence to the best of their ability.  However, the timeline will play out prior to the actual season.  You can't trade for him unless you are signing him long term and you'd have to sign that extension PRIOR to the start of the season.  You won't really know your money was well spent or not until it is too late.  I think the Bucs should steer clear of this dude, IMHO.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#33 : March 01, 2013, 01:56:06 PM

Think Adrian Peterson.

And the team can structure the contract so there are outs, if he wasn't 100% healthy.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#34 : March 01, 2013, 02:26:40 PM

You would clearly do the deal pending a physical and a workout. So the knee shouldn't be an issue otherwise you could back out of the deal.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#35 : March 01, 2013, 10:16:42 PM

You would clearly do the deal pending a physical and a workout. So the knee shouldn't be an issue otherwise you could back out of the deal.

I don't believe he is able to work out right now.  I thought I read he is halfway through the rehab, but will be good to go by preseason.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#36 : March 01, 2013, 10:19:19 PM

He isn't even running at full speed. If a team wants him, they have to give him a ginormous contract based on prior performance. He can't pass a physical currently.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#37 : March 01, 2013, 10:27:49 PM

He isn't even running at full speed. If a team wants him, they have to give him a ginormous contract based on prior performance. He can't pass a physical currently.

Agree.   But they could structure a contract where there are outs....if he wasn't 100%.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#38 : March 02, 2013, 06:40:19 AM

Agree.   But they could structure a contract where there are outs....if he wasn't 100%.

You keep saying this...can you cite some recent examples of similar deals or are you talking out your behind?  Never heard of a major contract signed with a "get out cluase".  Who knows...maybe it has happened but I don't think so.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#39 : March 02, 2013, 06:48:51 AM

A lil nugget that most seem to overlook. I blame Adrian Peterson for that.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

muvlodge

Pro Bowler
#40 : March 02, 2013, 08:07:10 AM

A first this year, and a third next year,  I would be ok with, assuming he is willing to sign a reasonable long term contract. And pass a physical.

But if the Niners offered basically the same deal, its a no brainer he picks the Niners.  Better chance of postseason action.

What's reasonable?

There is one big difference over playing in SF...CA state tax is a killer.  Over the life of his contract that is a ton of money to lose.  It would amost be unfair to let SF have Revis...they would definitely repeat.  It would be a tough call to make as him. Save almost  $10 mil  or play for an up & coming toes on the line team. The toes on the line would probably be the deciding factor for him to walk away : (

Hate

Hall of Famer
#41 : March 02, 2013, 08:13:38 AM

The guy seems more interested in being "the highest paid" than anything else.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#42 : March 02, 2013, 08:14:03 AM

This changes my mind a bit then . He would need to pass a physical or lower his contract demands , in my book.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#43 : March 02, 2013, 09:38:42 AM

You keep saying this...can you cite some recent examples of similar deals or are you talking out your behind?  Never heard of a major contract signed with a "get out cluase".  Who knows...maybe it has happened but I don't think so.

I can't think of any major deal that had an injury clause in it. It's important to remember that Revis has all the leverage. If he doesn't agree to a new deal, then there is no trade....so why would he except a new deal that has an easy out for the team in it? He is going to want his guaranteed money with no exceptions. The bottom line is, it doesn't matter if the final average is $14M or $16M per year, he's going to get around $35M guaranteed in a new deal and whatever team takes him will have to take that risk because he can't pass a physical right now. So it is a big risk that could set a franchise back big time.

Personally I think the guy is a diva and can't be trusted. Even if he ends up healing and being great, what has having the best CB in the league done for the Jets? They haven't even sniffed a Super Bowl....so it it really worth paying the guy $16M a year? I think the answer is no and I think he is being traded because the Jets finally realize this.

Most of the top CBs make $8M to $10M per year, but then Nnamdi Asomugha and Revis want to average $12M to $16M......it's just not worth it. No matter how good a CB is, he just doesn't have that much value. The salary cap hardly increases each year, but these guys think they should get twice as much as the top CB got 5 years ago? It's nonsense and whatever team gives him this ludicrous contract is just contributing to the nonsense.

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#44 : March 02, 2013, 09:45:18 AM

I'm good on Revis. He's not worth what he wants. Mainly because you know in 2 seasons he's either going to be a disappointment or say hes under paid. Lose-lose situation. Better make a run at a free agent

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Trades that make sense..... Alex Smith will only be the first to go « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools