Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL Free Agency 2013.......Biggest Sleeper at Every Position « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: March 02, 2013, 12:15:25 AM

NFL Free Agency 2013: Biggest Sleeper at Every Position

By Cooper Allen

The NFL free agency period is right around the corner. It will kick off on March 12 and feature several big names, potentially including Super Bowl MVP Joe Flacco.

While Flacco, Reggie Bush, Mike Wallace and Jake Long will receive most of the attention, there are plenty of other players to keep an eye on.

Although it would be nice to just bring in every big name available, the salary cap will not allow some teams to do so.

If your team does not have much cap room to work with, dont worry. Looking past the stars that will demand massive contracts are a handful of under-the-radar players.

This article will highlight the biggest free agent sleepers at each position.

Quarterback: Matt Moore  
1 of 7

Similar to the draft class, the free agent crop of quarterbacks is just awful. Michael Vick restructured his deal with Philadelphia, Joe Flacco is likely to re-sign with Baltimore and Alex Smith has been traded to Kansas City.

In other words, there will be no Peyton Manning-like saga this offseason.

If you are looking for a signal-caller, however, then Matt Moore is the man to bring in. The current Miami Dolphins backup has started 25 games in his career, putting up respectable numbers in the process.

He has been replaced twice in his career. First by Cam Newton in Carolina and then by Ryan Tannehill in Miami. This does not necessarily mean he is a career backup, though.

Moore has starting potential and is a very reliable backup. If a team is looking for some competition at quarterback, then he is the perfect player to bring in.

Running Back: LaRod Stephens-Howling
2 of 7

There are not very many quality running backs available this offseason. Of the ones that are up for grabs, most of them are not worthy of the contracts they will likely receive.

Reggie Bush and Steven Jackson highlight the crop of backs looking for a new home, but the list dies down from there. Michael Turner, Rashard Mendenhall and Shonn Greene are next in line.

Turner is past his prime and the other two are just not reliable. They will likely want a good amount of money, though, which leaves us looking at the free agents that are next in line.

Insert LaRod Stephens-Howling.

Running behind a depleted offensive line in Arizona, the 25-year-old still averaged over three yards per carry. Normally that would not be saying much, but when you consider how poor the quarterback play was, his numbers are not that bad.

Stephens-Howling can contribute in all aspects of the game. I could easily see him breaking out next year, playing a role similar to that of Darren Sproles in New Orleans.

Wide Receiver: Steve Breaston
3 of 7

In just the second year of a five-year, $25 million deal, the Kansas City Chiefs released Steve Breaston. The wideout came over from Arizona to Kansas City to reunite with Todd Haley.

Haley was the offensive coordinator in Arizona when they made it to the Super Bowl and was the Head Coach in Kansas City when Breaston signed.

Once Haley was fired, Breaston had a hard time adapting to the new system. In 13 games with his old coordinator, he had 52 receptions for 685 yards. Under Romeo Crennel, he had just 16 receptions in 19 games.

Breaston is a solid receiver. There is no doubt in my mind that there was something going on behind the scenes. I fully expect him to bounce back in 2013 and he is one of the sleepers in a deep wide receiver class.

Offensive Line: Jake Scott 
4 of 7

I was shocked when Jake Scott when unsigned last offseason. Sure, he is getting up there in age, but the man still has a few solid years left.

He was one of the best guards in the game during the 2011 season and did not ask for much more than the league minimum just 11 months ago.

Scott signed with the Philadelphia Eagles during the season and played in seven games. It was just a one-year deal worth $825,000.

Turning 32 in April, he still has a few years left in him. He may not be as good as he was back when he won the Super Bowl with Indianapolis, but there should definitely be a few teams talking to him.

Forget best offensive lineman, Jake Scott is the best available free agent that it not being talked about.

Defensive Line: Arthur Jones 
5 of 7

It is crazy to think that Super Bowl champion Arthur Jones may be the third most talented person in his family. His brothers, Jon and Chandler, are also great athletes. Jon is the UFC light heavyweight champion while Chandler is a member of the New England Patriots.

The eldest of the three brothers, Arthur received a lot more playing time in 2012 than he had in previous years. This was due to not only the injuries on the Ravens defense, but his improved play as well.

Jones is an underrated player. Despite starting in only six games last season, the 26-year-old recorded 47 tackles, forced a fumble and also picked up 4.5 sacks.

Baltimore has a lot of free agents to re-sign and it may have to let Jones walk. He will not demand much money and would be a solid pickup for a team in need of depth on the defensive line.

Linebacker: Larry Grant
6 of 7

A player that could give Jake Scott a run for best free agent not being talked about is middle linebacker Larry Grant.

He is stuck at the bottom of the San Francisco depth chart behind Pro Bowlers NaVorro Bowman and Patrick Willis.

The 27-year-old Ohio State product has started in 11 games over a five-year career, recording 93 tackles, five sacks and four forced fumbles.

Playing behind players like Bowman and Willis, you tend to pick up good habits. Grant played extremely well when Willis missed three games to injury in 2011.

Any team with a need at the inside linebacker position should take a chance on Larry Grant. He will not expect a ton of money and would be an immediate starter on most teams.

Defensive Back: Greg Toler
7 of 7

After missing all of the 2011 season due to a torn ACL, it took a while for Greg Toler to get back in the swing of things in 2012.

He did not play much this past season, but received a fair amount of playing time down the stretch. The 27-year-old came up big for the Arizona Cardinals over the final few games of the year.

His biggest play was a 102-yard interception return for a touchdown against the Detroit Lions in Week 15.

Toler has started 15 games in his career between 2010 and 2012. He has four interceptions, two forced fumbles, two touchdowns, 117 tackles, a sack and 17 passes defended over that span.

When healthy, he is one of the better No. 2 corners in the game. Considering he did not play much this past year, though, he may be overlooked during the free agent period.

http://www.footballnation.com/content/nfl-free-agency-2013-biggest-sleeper-every-position/21608/

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 02, 2013, 12:26:38 AM

Interesting...Greg Toler hadn't crossed my mind at all. I wonder how much he's looking to get paid.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#2 : March 02, 2013, 12:43:18 AM

I would sign Larry Grant at 12:05am the moment free agency opens. Dude can play, he is just behind two all-pro linebackers. He wouldn't command alot of scratch and I think he would be a steal.

I would like Greg Toler as a #2 or #3.

On another note, I wish they had a combine for free agents. Lol. Probably would never happen tho.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 02, 2013, 01:17:27 AM

I would add...

CB Keenan Lewis
OLB Justin Durant
DT Desmond Bryant
DE Paul Kruger
OT Sam Baker
WRs Domenik Hixon/Brandon Gibson/Danario Alexander
RB Chris Ivory

Open up the checkbook.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#4 : March 02, 2013, 01:21:06 AM

I would add...

CB Keenan Lewis
OLB Justin Durant
DT Desmond Bryant
DE Paul Kruger
OT Sam Baker
WRs Domenik Hixon/Brandon Gibson/Danario Alexander
RB Chris Ivory

Open up the checkbook.

Sam Baker for what?? As a back up?

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 02, 2013, 01:27:00 AM

Possible RT, of course.

gbobucsfan

Pro Bowler
#6 : March 02, 2013, 08:08:19 AM

Is anyone interested in Howlings as a spell RB for Martin?

Hate

Hall of Famer
#7 : March 02, 2013, 08:11:28 AM

Ivory, Ivory, Ivory, Ivory!!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#8 : March 02, 2013, 08:19:59 AM

Stephens-howling would be an upgrade for 3rd down back over D.J. Ware

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#9 : March 02, 2013, 10:17:47 AM

I've thought about Stephens-Howling, especially if our O-line is healthy.  He's cat quick, and a good receiver.  He could also compete for returner duties.

Arthur Jones is someone I liked a lot in his draft class.  He had first round talent, but fell due to a major injury his senior year.  I think his best fit would be as a UT in the 4-3.  Could provide good depth for McCoy.

I like Toler, as well.  Would be a great option for a #2.  Face it, we need 3-4 new CB's this offseason so if we can add talent for a decent price in FA it frees us up in the draft.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#10 : March 02, 2013, 10:30:29 AM

I like Toler and Arthur Jones.

At LB, not on this list, but I like John Conner and Justin Durant.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#11 : March 02, 2013, 10:32:35 AM

John Conner? The FB?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#12 : March 02, 2013, 10:39:46 AM

Meant Dan Conner.....my bad.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 02, 2013, 12:16:33 PM

John Conner? The FB?

No, post apocalypse John Connor.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#14 : March 02, 2013, 12:27:37 PM

John Conner? The FB?

No, post apocalypse John Connor.
I would rather have Sarah Connor. Bitcsh was a bad azz.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL Free Agency 2013.......Biggest Sleeper at Every Position « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools