Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does Freeman have .... "the intangibles " « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #15 : March 04, 2013, 10:53:31 AM »

I think it's unfair to say that Freeman doesn't have intangibles, because he certainly does, the problem is that he doesn't have enough of the one's that you need to be considered a franchise quarterback. Free certainly is better than quite a few quarterbacks in the league, but his problem, at least to me, is that he doesn't always remain cool under pressure. There are times that he does and that's when he does look like a franchise quarterback, however, there are also times when he feels pressure (existent or non-existent) and throws a horrible pick. I think this was the main reason we got Nicks last year and why we might consider a right tackle candidate in the first round this year. I don't think it was a coincidence that when Freeman had confidence in his front line to protect him, his QB rating was over 100 and as he lost confidence, his ratings fell and his INT-TD ratio increased negatively.

Few quarterbacks out work Freeman, so the effort is there, Sullivan has called Freeman very coach-able and football smart, so he knows and understands defenses and the offensive playbook. The offensive players indicate that he has good leadership skills.

IMO Freeman is the type of quarterback that will get better as he gets older, I'm just not sure if the Bucs can afford to continue to be patient with him. He's certainly a good enough quarterback that you can win with if the rest of the team is solid around him.

This^^^^^for the most part. I find it strange that Freeman played some of his best games in 2010 behind a patchwork OL that included guys off the street. IIRC the Bucs lost 9 starters off the youngest team in the league that year. The lockout season sucked because most of the team simply quit. Freeman didn't, but no QB could have carried that bunch. Last year was streaky, but too many here ignore the good and focus on the bad. I'm confident 2013 will be his best season. The defense may not be top 10 but they'll be close. Freeman will eliminate half of his turnovers and that alone will be enough to get them in the playoffs. The haters will back off a little bit and Josh will get paid. We won't play in the SB, but we will have a hand in determining who does. Our turn is coming, and Schiano and Freeman will be major factors.

Agree. Hope this is the case guys. Would hate to see him go elsewhere and tear it up. Wouldnt be the first time weve seen that happen.

bucfan26

Pro Bowler
« #16 : March 04, 2013, 10:53:37 AM »

Some pretty good QB's on that list.  As of right now,  I don't think Free has the intangibles.  Hopefully he can show he does, and make me wrong,  in the 2013 season.

+1

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

« #17 : March 04, 2013, 11:17:20 AM »

I think it's unfair to say that Freeman doesn't have intangibles, because he certainly does, the problem is that he doesn't have enough of the one's that you need to be considered a franchise quarterback. Free certainly is better than quite a few quarterbacks in the league, but his problem, at least to me, is that he doesn't always remain cool under pressure. There are times that he does and that's when he does look like a franchise quarterback, however, there are also times when he feels pressure (existent or non-existent) and throws a horrible pick. I think this was the main reason we got Nicks last year and why we might consider a right tackle candidate in the first round this year. I don't think it was a coincidence that when Freeman had confidence in his front line to protect him, his QB rating was over 100 and as he lost confidence, his ratings fell and his INT-TD ratio increased negatively.

Few quarterbacks out work Freeman, so the effort is there, Sullivan has called Freeman very coach-able and football smart, so he knows and understands defenses and the offensive playbook. The offensive players indicate that he has good leadership skills.

IMO Freeman is the type of quarterback that will get better as he gets older, I'm just not sure if the Bucs can afford to continue to be patient with him. He's certainly a good enough quarterback that you can win with if the rest of the team is solid around him.

This^^^^^for the most part. I find it strange that Freeman played some of his best games in 2010 behind a patchwork OL that included guys off the street. IIRC the Bucs lost 9 starters off the youngest team in the league that year. The lockout season sucked because most of the team simply quit. Freeman didn't, but no QB could have carried that bunch. Last year was streaky, but too many here ignore the good and focus on the bad. I'm confident 2013 will be his best season. The defense may not be top 10 but they'll be close. Freeman will eliminate half of his turnovers and that alone will be enough to get them in the playoffs. The haters will back off a little bit and Josh will get paid. We won't play in the SB, but we will have a hand in determining who does. Our turn is coming, and Schiano and Freeman will be major factors.

Freeman played his best ball with Caddy on the field. I am still surprised how so many Buc fans missed that. Caddy was very vocal on the field helping Freeman read defenses when plays were being called. Freeman's problems were not the result of the OL as many fans like to claim. In 2010 Freeman had on-field support from Caddy (and Graham). Not to mention Blount spreading the offense when he took many by surprise.  In 2010 has stats was not an accurate description of his play.  He actually looked like Tebow before his tenure in Denver. Played absolutely terrible until the last few minutes of the game. He did the same thing in 2011 in the 4-2 start including his fear of throwing deep. In 2012 is was just inconsistency. I like Freeman and want him to succeed but fans keep on blaming too many factors around him. Only Freeman can now improve Freeman. One was that can happen is if he can overcome the mental side of football. Too many times it seems like things don't “click” for him until the fourth quarter. Defenses can’t consistently keep the offense in the game with that kind of play week-in and week-out.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #18 : March 04, 2013, 11:35:58 AM »

My take.

"...Leadership isn’t the only intangible that matters. Instincts, work ethic and intelligence all play a part..."

Instincts - he has shown ability, especially in fourth quarters of games.  Confidence and Trust in your knowledge of a system promote instincts.

Work Ethic - Check. no question.

Intelligence - Check. no question.

Leadership...........   In my experience, this intangible is a funny thing.  Really two parts (nature and nurture) but in the end in comes down to nurture - everyone is completely different in this regard.  To my knowledge, there is no reason Josh shouldn't have all the right qualities inate to be a leader.

He's  on the cusp of becoming a full blown adult... and leadership is a product of ones summary of experience.    I believe  guys like Vjax, Schiano and Sullivan are HUGE to his development in this area this offseason/season.

This year is going to be a big deal...    and a primary reason if I'm the organization, I'm not working a deal until he takes that ultimate next step.

I'm backing the guy.  I want him to succeed.   

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #19 : March 04, 2013, 11:43:10 AM »

If it were an exact science there wouldn't be so many 1st round d QB busts or 6th round Tom Bradys. Nobody knows exactly what makes a great QB... But after four years it would appear Freeman does not have it.

Draft Aaron Donald

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #20 : March 04, 2013, 12:03:51 PM »

I'm just trying to think how many people I've come across in my experience (military, commercial sector) who are/were leaders at 24...   and I can't think no more than one or two.   Very rare at that age.

Oracle

Starter

« #21 : March 04, 2013, 12:06:22 PM »

He's only 25, 26, 27, 28, 29,30....

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

« #22 : March 04, 2013, 12:34:22 PM »

This year is going to be a big deal...    and a primary reason if I'm the organization, I'm not working a deal until he takes that ultimate next step.

I'm backing the guy.  I want him to succeed.

The Flacco deal is going to be a difference maker for all QB's now because they know if it's even a starting caliber QB then a giant contract is getting signed or else become like the Cardinals or Browns trying to find a top 20 guy for years and not having a chance to win anything. If Freeman has another year like last season he's going to get a big contract somewhere and make too much.

youngone

Hall of Famer
« #23 : March 04, 2013, 12:34:58 PM »

Chubby Freeman had the intangibles, swag, mojo, balls, the stuff, whatever you want to call it. What happened to that guy?
« : March 04, 2013, 12:41:58 PM youngone »

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #24 : March 04, 2013, 12:37:18 PM »

New system, New regime...    never fails to reset some.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #25 : March 04, 2013, 12:40:47 PM »

Chubby Freeman had the intangibles, swag, mojo, balls, whatever you want to call it. What happened to that guy?

Its what they put in the food at Taco Bell at 3AM. Call them and ask for their secret! Get it down to OBP pronto!!

youngone

Hall of Famer
« #26 : March 04, 2013, 12:48:56 PM »

Chubby Freeman had the intangibles, swag, mojo, balls, whatever you want to call it. What happened to that guy?

Its what they put in the food at Taco Bell at 3AM. Call them and ask for their secret! Get it down to OBP pronto!!

I'm thinking about just mailing boxes of those Doritos locos tacos to OBP. We would be playoff if he gets that 25 lbs and the fro back.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #27 : March 04, 2013, 12:59:05 PM »

I'm thinking about just mailing boxes of those Doritos locos tacos to OBP. We would be playoff if he gets that 25 lbs and the fro back.

lol just make sure theres a porto on the sideline.

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

« #28 : March 04, 2013, 01:44:20 PM »

Did Christian Ponder have everything you look for? No, but he had some leadership to him. I’m not surprised he went in the first round. Minnesota got comfortable with the leader. That’s a valuable trait, over the arm strength.

How's that working out?

Made the playoffs...

\"I seen his aura or whatever...I seen it...it\'s orange...\"
- Un-named source on Lovie Smith

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #29 : March 04, 2013, 02:20:55 PM »

On the magical knees of AP.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does Freeman have .... "the intangibles " « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools