Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does Freeman have .... "the intangibles " « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #30 : March 04, 2013, 02:46:48 PM »

New system, New regime...    never fails to reset some.

The system was the same in 2010 and 2011, but Freeman wasn't.  I'm not sure what happened to the guy, but his on-field performance changed.

And Freeman played very well in this new system, until the last third of the season happened.

Sweep

Hall of Famer
« #31 : March 04, 2013, 02:53:02 PM »

The Bucs can make the playoffs even if it's a case of the team carrying Freeman, not the other way around.  But if I'm the GM or Head Coach, I'm not betting my job on it.  I'm bringing in quality QB competition this year.

It’s going to look to some people like a different play every time we use it, but pretty soon they’ll be able to recognize it....by watching the official for the first-down signal.   -Vincent T. Lombardi

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
« #32 : March 04, 2013, 02:55:48 PM »

I really wouldn't be surprised to see a QB drafted in round 2-3 this year. I don't really want that as I think we have needs elsewhere and it's a weak QB class. But I think if FA goes well and we sign some CB/DL help, they might just snag a guy early.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

« #33 : March 04, 2013, 03:07:47 PM »

On the magical knees of AP.

Bucs watched.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #34 : March 04, 2013, 03:52:22 PM »

Fans of ManU must be up in arms that the Glazers are siphoning money from there to pay all of these coaches

lmao

nitey

Hall of Famer
« #35 : March 04, 2013, 04:38:22 PM »

I think it's unfair to say that Freeman doesn't have intangibles, because he certainly does, the problem is that he doesn't have enough of the one's that you need to be considered a franchise quarterback. Free certainly is better than quite a few quarterbacks in the league, but his problem, at least to me, is that he doesn't always remain cool under pressure. There are times that he does and that's when he does look like a franchise quarterback, however, there are also times when he feels pressure (existent or non-existent) and throws a horrible pick. I think this was the main reason we got Nicks last year and why we might consider a right tackle candidate in the first round this year. I don't think it was a coincidence that when Freeman had confidence in his front line to protect him, his QB rating was over 100 and as he lost confidence, his ratings fell and his INT-TD ratio increased negatively.

Few quarterbacks out work Freeman, so the effort is there, Sullivan has called Freeman very coach-able and football smart, so he knows and understands defenses and the offensive playbook. The offensive players indicate that he has good leadership skills.

IMO Freeman is the type of quarterback that will get better as he gets older, I'm just not sure if the Bucs can afford to continue to be patient with him. He's certainly a good enough quarterback that you can win with if the rest of the team is solid around him.

This^^^^^for the most part. I find it strange that Freeman played some of his best games in 2010 behind a patchwork OL that included guys off the street. IIRC the Bucs lost 9 starters off the youngest team in the league that year. The lockout season sucked because most of the team simply quit. Freeman didn't, but no QB could have carried that bunch. Last year was streaky, but too many here ignore the good and focus on the bad. I'm confident 2013 will be his best season. The defense may not be top 10 but they'll be close. Freeman will eliminate half of his turnovers and that alone will be enough to get them in the playoffs. The haters will back off a little bit and Josh will get paid. We won't play in the SB, but we will have a hand in determining who does. Our turn is coming, and Schiano and Freeman will be major factors.

Freeman played his best ball with Caddy on the field. I am still surprised how so many Buc fans missed that. Caddy was very vocal on the field helping Freeman read defenses when plays were being called. Freeman's problems were not the result of the OL as many fans like to claim. In 2010 Freeman had on-field support from Caddy (and Graham). Not to mention Blount spreading the offense when he took many by surprise.  In 2010 has stats was not an accurate description of his play.  He actually looked like Tebow before his tenure in Denver. Played absolutely terrible until the last few minutes of the game. He did the same thing in 2011 in the 4-2 start including his fear of throwing deep. In 2012 is was just inconsistency. I like Freeman and want him to succeed but fans keep on blaming too many factors around him. Only Freeman can now improve Freeman. One was that can happen is if he can overcome the mental side of football. Too many times it seems like things don't “click” for him until the fourth quarter. Defenses can’t consistently keep the offense in the game with that kind of play week-in and week-out.

That may have been true for the 2010 version of Free, but I'm not sure that it still holds true today. I do think it's true that Freeman tends to over-think himself into problems though. In 2010, he didn't know defenses and probably the playbook well enough so with Caddy and Graham handling/helping out with the calls, he played more on instinct and less on knowledge. Now, I think he plays too much on knowledge and blocks his instincts. When he's comfortable, the two meet in a happy medium, but when he's worried about protection he plays more on 'I have to throw it here NOW' rather than by using his instincts to look for a better play or run.

JMO.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #36 : March 04, 2013, 06:02:14 PM »

I really wouldn't be surprised to see a QB drafted in round 2-3 this year. I don't really want that as I think we have needs elsewhere and it's a weak QB class. But I think if FA goes well and we sign some CB/DL help, they might just snag a guy early.

Completely agree.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #37 : March 04, 2013, 06:33:17 PM »

Completely agree.

I don't know about "early".   But I wouldn't mind if they took a flyer on Tyler Bray.  Big arm, a little unpolished, but could turn into something down the road.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Hayseed

Hall of Famer

« #38 : March 05, 2013, 01:32:45 AM »

I think he absolutely has "the intangibles". What he doesn't have is consistency. When the kid runs the two minute drill, he can be an absolute beast. When he is in attack mode, he seems to be a very good QB. However, he has issues playing with a lead or any time we switch to the dink and dunk, small ball stuff. He appears to over think things too much in these situations. Not sure if its a maturity thing or what but he has got to fix it. If he can't , then the team will probably look elsewhere after next season.

They Call Me El Jefe, El Primo De Los Matadors,
The Master Of The Metaphor, A Chaw Chewin\' Troubadour

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #39 : March 05, 2013, 01:56:19 AM »

Hay, I agree somewhat with what you're saying, but don't understand why it can't be like the two minute drills all the time.

If it works, it works. We saw it work downright dominate at times. No huddle + shotgun + Freeman's huge arm + martin = beastmode.

I know it's somewhat unconventional, but why can't the coaches see that? Why is it everyone wants to limit the guy because of particular situations? BB would never let anyone be limited, he would tell you run up the score. Not saying it's directly the coaches fault, just saying that playing the "death from a thousand papercuts" offense is a waste of Freeman's particular talents. He is at his best throwing long and running QB "sneaks." Anything underneath needs to be picked up by martin in this type of offense(I'd compare it to what Westbrook did for Philly).

I feel for the guy. He honestly never had a good start to his NFL career. It doesn't mean he's ruined, but we're going to find out if he's the QB of the future this upcoming season. I think one day he will be a darn good QB, and I fear the bucs will once again find themselves riding the wave of QB uncertainty. Moreover, if they are going to play josh, they need to use his strengths. If not, they need to just bench him and get it over with, because no one is doing anyone any favors that way.

First things first though. They need to tighten up this pass defense drastically before they can even begin to dream of playoffs with any QB whatsoever.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #40 : March 05, 2013, 02:01:54 AM »

Hay, I agree somewhat with what you're saying, but don't understand why it can't be like the two minute drills all the time.

If it works, it works. We saw it work downright dominate at times. No huddle + shotgun + Freeman's huge arm + martin = beastmode.

I know it's somewhat unconventional, but why can't the coaches see that? Why is it everyone wants to limit the guy because of particular situations? BB would never let anyone be limited, he would tell you run up the score. Not saying it's directly the coaches fault, just saying that playing the "death from a thousand papercuts" offense is a waste of Freeman's particular talents. He is at his best throwing long and running QB "sneaks." Anything underneath needs to be picked up by martin in this type of offense(I'd compare it to what Westbrook did for Philly).

I feel for the guy. He honestly never had a good start to his NFL career. It doesn't mean he's ruined, but we're going to find out if he's the QB of the future this upcoming season. I think one day he will be a darn good QB, and I fear the bucs will once again find themselves riding the wave of QB uncertainty. Moreover, if they are going to play josh, they need to use his strengths. If not, they need to just bench him and get it over with, because no one is doing anyone any favors that way.

First things first though. They need to tighten up this pass defense drastically before they can even begin to dream of playoffs with any QB whatsoever.

I have been sayin that for awhile now.    I don't think the dude can be put in a box and labeled.  Seems MUCH more efficient when he is winging it.  Think Favre.  Sandlot ball, but hey, if it works, why not.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #41 : March 05, 2013, 08:46:43 AM »

I agree about the defense.  Needs help

Can't run the 2 min offense all game...  olinemen would pass out.   I do think they can use it more than they do now though. 

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #42 : March 05, 2013, 06:12:13 PM »

Absolutely.... once we tighten that up his accuracy will improve, his mobility will return, and he'll stop locking onto WRs. Can't wait!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does Freeman have .... "the intangibles " « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools