Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs want Blount back, and are considering placing a first-round tender on him « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: March 05, 2013, 12:00:25 AM

How much do Bucs value RB Blount; well soon find out

Posted Mar 4, 2013 by Roy Cummings

BY ROY CUMMINGS
 Tribune Staff

TAMPA

With the start of the free-agency signing period now just eight days away, resolutions regarding the futures of S Ronde Barber, LB Quincy Black and CB Eric Wright are not the only decisions the Bucs have to make in the coming days.

The Bucs also have to decide just how much they want to restrict the movement of their three restricted free agents RB LeGarrette Blount, DE Daniel Teo- Nesheim and LB Jacob Cutrera.

Bucs general manager Mark Dominik has expressed a desire to retain all three players, so with Blount and Cutrera, who went undrafted, he has three options and with Teo-Nesheim, who was a third-round pick of the Eagles in XXXX, he has two.

With Blount and Cutrera the Bucs can opt to place either a first-round tender worth $2.879 million, a second-round tender worth $2.023 million or a right-of-first-refusal tender worth $1.323 million on them.

In Teo-Nesheims case the Bucs can go with either the right-of-first-refusal tender or an original-round tender, which is also worth $1.323 million but includes draft-pick compensation.

Thats the part that makes the decisions enticing. The Bucs can assure themselves that the loss of any of those three players will at least result in them receiving a draft pick in return, and in the case of Blount it could be a big one.

The Bucs are considering placing a first-round tender on Blount, in part because Dominik says he never wants to leave himself short at the running back position the way he did in 2010, especially now that the Bucs offense is a run-first attack.

Of course, a second-round tender might be enough to keep anyone from stealing Blount away as well, but that is one of the decisions the Bucs have to make before the 4 p.m. March 12 deadline rolls around.

As for Teo-Nesheim and Cutrera, look for the Bucs to place an original round tender on Teo-Nesheim and the right-of-first-refusal tender on Cutrera. They value both as depth players, at the very least.

Q: Now that RB Michael Turner has been released from the Falcons, could he be a possible player that the Bucs could go for in free agency along with trading LeGarrette Blount?

Chuck, Tampa

A: I really doubt it. The Bucs want Blount back and will tender him as a restricted free agent because he's young, healthy, has very little tread wear and has the potential to be a 1,000-yard rusher. Turner is plenty good, but he's not as young as Blount and he was released after failing a team physical. Could be he's not all that healthy either.

Roy Cummings

Q: Is it just me or does Josh Freeman, every time he throws the ball, he throws it like he is scared and he looks predictable?

Louis Santiago, Clearwater

A: I'm going to say that's you. You don't throw for 4,000 yards and 27 TDs in this league by throwing scared or being predictable. Now, I will say that two years ago and during his slump this past season he did struggle a bit from throwing off balance off his back foot. He definitely needs to step into his throws and that's something a quarterback usually does with confidence and gets away from when he's lacking confidence. But it's also something that naturally comes as a result of poor pass protection. No question Freeman has some areas he needs to work on but I don't think fear is one of them, and I believe he became a lot less predictable once Kellen Winslow left.

Roy Cummings

Q: The Buccaneers need to sign Josh Freeman to long-term deal now see Joe Flacco, Super Bowl MVP!

Paul H. Hessler, Wesley Chapel

A: I think the Bucs would be very happy to pay a little more for Freeman a year from now if he can lead them to the Super Bowl next season. But if he fails and has another 2011-like season in 2013 the Bucs may want to pay someone else to lead them to the promised land. That's why they're waiting.

Roy Cummings

Q: Sign Michael Bennett then go after his brother in free agency.

Paul H. Hessler, Wesley Chapel

A: I promise you the Bucs have thought of doing just that. But everything depends on whether the Bennett brothers, Michael and TE Martellus Bennett (Giants), wanting to play for the Bucs at their price.

Roy Cummings

Q: During the Redskins and Eagles games the Buccaneers coaching staff cost us a win with poor clock management. Has the team addressed this issue and if so what do they plan to do to prevent a repeat occurrence? It appeared everyone in the stadium except the coaching staff knew how to manage the clock.

Brian, St. Petersburg

A: I'm sure the Bucs have reviewed those situations many times and come up with a better plan for clock management. As I remember, though, both games were lost because of defensive collapses late against Washington and all throughout the second half against Philadelphia. I'd say fixing those issues are more crucial to future success. But that's just me.

Roy Cummings

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 05, 2013, 01:30:09 AM

Well, if Dom did that, he might end up one of the smartest GM's in NFL history sometime in December (when playoff bound teams have no rb's left).

Doubtful, but hey...you gotta play it to win it. Free lottery ticket anyone?

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#2 : March 05, 2013, 02:06:55 AM

Man, I will believe that when I see it.  Last season, it looked like Schiano couldn't care less if Blount was on the team or not.  I figured he was not part of the future going forward.  I hope he is though,  I like the big **CENSORED**.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 05, 2013, 02:14:37 AM

Man, I will believe that when I see it.  Last season, it looked like Schiano couldn't care less if Blount was on the team or not.  I figured he was not part of the future going forward.  I hope he is though,  I like the big **CENSORED**.

Agree. Seems like the idiot brother syndrome.

Can't help but to like the guy, even though he does some dumb things now and again and isn't exactly your textbook type running back.

I still want to know wtf ware was doing out there instead though.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 05, 2013, 02:19:37 AM

Agree. Seems like the idiot brother syndrome.

Can't help but to like the guy, even though he does some dumb things now and again and isn't exactly your textbook type running back.

I still want to know wtf ware was doing out there instead though.

I assumed it was Blount's lack of blocking and picking up the blitz..     But if that was true, you don't go putting a first round tender on him.   Could be smoke, as they try to work him into the Revis deal.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 05, 2013, 02:24:40 AM

I'm hoping like hell it is anti.

Revis would be a huge boon to this team in many ways, whereas schiano isn't going to play blount and he'll just sit on the bench.

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#6 : March 05, 2013, 03:01:20 AM

They definitely aren't going to place that kind of a tender on Blount. I think Schiano could care less about the guy. He will never play a RB significant playing time that can't block and be involved in more of the game plan.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#7 : March 05, 2013, 08:23:55 AM

I wouldn't understand placing a 1st round tender on a guy who we didn't use.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#8 : March 05, 2013, 08:37:51 AM

I wouldn't understand placing a 1st round tender on a guy who we didn't use.

Wouldn't understand paying a guy almost $3m who we don't use.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

The Freeman

Starter

#9 : March 05, 2013, 08:52:03 AM

second-round tender for Blount make sense, LGB isn't the complete package but he's the only back we have behind Doug Martin who can run for 1000 yards/season... and he may offer some trade value later between preaseason and the trade deadline if another team need someone.

original-round tender for Teo-Nesheim, he was a 3rd round draft pick, if someone offer such a price for DTN i'll take the pick.

no tender for Cutrera... MD should be fired in the minute if he give $1.323 million to Cutrera.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#10 : March 05, 2013, 08:57:59 AM

id take a 2nd in heartbeat for blount and ditto for a 3 for nesheim. 2nd and 3rd rounders get you better than depth caliber guys

PewterPirate54

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pro Bowler

#11 : March 05, 2013, 09:02:04 AM

You guys think this is a smokescreen for Revis?

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#12 : March 05, 2013, 09:11:29 AM

Only reason to place that high a tender on a guy you don't plan to use, is that you are seeking to trade.

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#13 : March 05, 2013, 10:22:01 AM

Its possible that Schiano would like to continue to develop Blount rather than use a draft pick. Like him or not, he has more potential than anyone in the draft other than Lacy. Schiano might like the potential and want another year with him. None of us know whats going on anyway. Blount may have been a good team player and buys into whatever Schiano wants. The thing I like about Schiano the most is that he is able to understand and see the same weaknesses that we do.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 05, 2013, 10:34:42 AM

Only reason to place that high a tender on a guy you don't plan to use, is that you are seeking to trade.

This, although a second round tender would work just as well.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs want Blount back, and are considering placing a first-round tender on him « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools