Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Derek Cox free agency rumors:.... Buccaneers interested « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: March 09, 2013, 12:02:32 AM

Derek Cox free agency rumors: Buccaneers interested

By Sander Philipse

on Mar 8 2013, 6:56pm

Kim Klement-US PRESSWIRE

The Buccaneers are interested in free agent cornerbacks! Shocker! According to Tom Krasniqi of 620 WDAE, Derek Cox is one of the free agents drawing that interest. Cox, a third-round pick in the 2009 draft, has been a starter for the Jaguars for four years. He's missed 14 games due to injury over the past two seasons, which is the only real knock on his game. He's not a world-beater, but he's a solid all-around cornerback with good size who has played for some awful pass defenses in recent years. Cox has 12 interceptions and 32 passes defensed in 47 career games.

The Bucs need starting cornerbacks, and Cox while still young isn't expected to demand top dollar on the free agent market. It's not exactly clear why the Jaguars are letting him walk, though. The injury issues could be one reason, although the injuries have mostly been lingering issues rather than catastrophic breaks and tears. Cox has been a good, though not great cornerback who has struggled to stay on the field. Signing him would make sense, at the right price, with some injury insurance. It's a move with some risk, but it could easily pay off.

Here's another reason it makes sense: the Buccaneers' cornerback coach Tony Oden was the Jaguars' defensive backs coach last season. He will know everything the Bucs need to know about Cox, and his signing off on his addition to the team should carry some weight around One Buc Place. W

dmajik85

Hall of Famer
#1 : March 09, 2013, 12:13:19 AM

I prefer Cox to Smith. Crossing fingers we can pull him.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#2 : March 09, 2013, 01:48:48 AM

I am starting to lean in that direction. There both big CB's, and I don't think Cox will get anywhere near the money that Sean Smith gets.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#3 : March 09, 2013, 02:39:10 AM

He clearly has outstanding cover skills.

zsmith22

Starter

#4 : March 09, 2013, 10:42:04 AM

A combo of Keenan Lewis and Cox would be incredible

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 09, 2013, 06:49:31 PM

He clearly has outstanding cover skills.

LOL

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 09, 2013, 07:06:00 PM

I am starting to lean in that direction. There both big CB's, and I don't think Cox will get anywhere near the money that Sean Smith gets.

I slightly prefer Smith, but as you said money could be an issue. If Smith is asking for a lot more, I'd go with Cox. There's not a large difference between the two imo and we have other holes to fill as well.

HolyBuc

Starter
#7 : March 09, 2013, 09:15:06 PM

@TKras: I'm told the #Bucs are in the mix for CB Derek Cox.  Also in play for CB Sean Smith

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#8 : March 10, 2013, 01:15:53 AM

Cox, Toler, and Rutgers CB in round 2 would make the Bucs defense incredibly better.

Then the Bucs can show Kruger some cash, flash some cash at Loadholdt. I would be happy with that.

Problem is, Cox is brittle. Sick of dealing with that schidt.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#9 : March 10, 2013, 01:18:43 AM

Smith can go play with Cox down the street for all I care.

Don't want either of them on the bucs roster as a #1.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#10 : March 10, 2013, 10:00:53 AM

We are not exactly in a position to be picky with the 32nd ranked pass defense and all the good corners in high demand. We need to sign as many corners as will come here and sort them out later.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

big_JLB

Starter

#11 : March 10, 2013, 10:04:57 AM

greg toler and keenan lewis would be unreal. trade back into the 2nd to get logan ryan. if biggers is back i think delmas might be a real option as well

spurzo

Second String

#12 : March 10, 2013, 10:06:25 AM

Cox would be a solid signing but he's not a number 1 CB.  As a #2 he'd go a long way to fixing the pass D.

Behind Enemy Lines

Second String

#13 : March 10, 2013, 10:13:04 AM

greg toler and keenan lewis would be unreal. trade back into the 2nd to get logan ryan. if biggers is back i think delmas might be a real option as well

+1

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 10, 2013, 10:17:45 AM

We are not exactly in a position to be picky with the 32nd ranked pass defense and all the good corners in high demand. We need to sign as many corners as will come here and sort them out later.

I kinda agree with you there DJ, but with all the cb's avalible, can't we be a wee bit picky?

....Like not go after a cb who could only muster four ints in two seasons?

Do we really want a DB core, who's combined career ints are around eight, give or take (without barber)?

I keep hearing talk about tackling being important. While it very much is, we have to remember, there are other stats. Smith is gorrer super-sized, and we all know how fans feel about his bumbling hands. Sure, he stays in the picture, but he's not going to make the splash plays that the bucs need.
: March 10, 2013, 10:19:34 AM Benchwarmer#1

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Derek Cox free agency rumors:.... Buccaneers interested « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools