Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sternberg Talks, Stadium, Payroll, Attendance And Keeping Price « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #150 : August 10, 2013, 08:21:36 AM »

Not surprising , the Dodgers are on fire right now.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #151 : August 10, 2013, 11:26:37 AM »

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #152 : August 11, 2013, 09:09:17 AM »

Again, Sternberg seems to be on the wrong end of another long term contract - just like his stadium deal.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/fans-are-watching-tampa-bay-rays-on-tv-8212-a-popularity-that-could-pay/2135859

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #153 : August 11, 2013, 02:23:54 PM »

http://mlb.mlb.com/tb/ticketing/953.jsp

great deal, about $20 off the regular price for these tickets

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #154 : August 11, 2013, 02:39:08 PM »

Uribe getting harassed by teammate re: Rays' hidden ball trick.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #155 : August 12, 2013, 04:57:28 PM »

Rays Acquire Wesley Wright From Astros

3.92 ERA (41.1-IP, 18-ER) this season and leads all American League lefties with 54 appearances. In 41.1 innings pitched, he has totaled 40 strikeouts and only 16 BB. He has compiled a 2.08 ERA (8.2-IP, 2-ER) since the All-Star break.

The left-handed pitcher has spent five seasons in the majors, all with the Astros.  In 2012, Wright’s 77 appearances were tied for eighth-most among all major league relievers.  For his career, he is 10-15 with a 4.44 ERA in 286 games.

Read more: http://www.620wdae.com/pages/rays.html?article=11565297#ixzz2bn58RWN5

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #156 : August 15, 2013, 02:35:33 PM »

Major League Baseball may intervene in Rays stadium issue

TAMPA — Major League Baseball is growing frustrated with the slow pace of progress in the Tampa Bay Rays stadium negotiations and may intervene in the issue, MLB Commissioner Bud Selig said Thursday.

Selig and baseball’s owners are meeting this week in Cooperstown, N.Y., about league issues. During a recap of the day’s events, Selig told the press that Rays principal owner Stuart Sternberg told him on Tuesday that negotiations with St. Petersburg over the stadium issue had stalled, league spokesman Pat Courtney said.

Selig also said he’s “getting to the point” where he might ask an MLB representative to intervene in the issue. No further information was available Thursday. A spokesman for the Rays was not immediately available Thursday.

The baseball commissioner’s comments come at a time when St. Petersburg and the Rays seemed to be making the most progress in years. The two parties are in discussions that could let the Rays look around the entire Tampa Bay area for stadium sites, and for the first time, St. Petersburg Mayor Bill Foster said he is open to letting the team look in Hillsborough County.

The Rays’ low attendance at Tropicana Field has been an issue throughout Major League Baseball, because richer teams such as the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox have to subsidize less profitable teams through revenue-sharing payments.

msasso@tampatrib.com

(813) 259-7865

Twitter: @msasso

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #157 : August 16, 2013, 07:12:03 AM »

13k for a playoff contender is unbelievable.....I think school started, so kids weren't probably at the game.....30-40k at most other MLB games last night.....can anyone imagine if the Rays were a bad team (cellar) what their attendance would be? I don't even think moving the stadium elsewhere would bring a huge draw like other cities.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #158 : August 16, 2013, 07:54:36 AM »

No one in Tampa is driving across the bridge in the middle of the week on a work night. That's why it needs to be in Tampa ....simply more people close by.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #159 : August 16, 2013, 08:11:28 AM »

Lack of sellouts by the Bucs disproves that theory.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #160 : August 16, 2013, 08:14:45 AM »

Apples and oranges . It takes 65,000 to sell-out ray-jay and there are other factors like a team that hasn't made the playoffs in nearly a decade...

Sweep

Hall of Famer
« #161 : August 16, 2013, 10:41:04 AM »

It should be at the Fairgrounds location, for more than 1 reason.

1.  Easy access will draw more people from much needed surrounding areas such as Orlando, Polk County, Ocala, etc.  Fans will come and go via  I-75, I-4, Hwy 301, Hwy 92 , Hwy 60,  and 574.   It's not just how quick you can get to the ball park, but how quick can you get back home on a school/work night when 20,000+ fans leave all at the same time.   Those that live outside of the immediate Tampa area can come and go in a reasonable amount of time.

2.  Cost in relation to transportation and access.  It's ready to go right now.  It's asking for a stadium.

3.  Possible cost of the land itself.  If I recall correctly, I heard a radio interview about a year or so ago, that Commissioner Hagan has said he has heard mention of the possibility of working out a deal with the State of Florida.  Diligent leaders would pursue this.

Why it most likely won't happen.

1. Politics.   

2. Makes too much sense

« : August 16, 2013, 10:47:53 AM Sweep »

It’s going to look to some people like a different play every time we use it, but pretty soon they’ll be able to recognize it....by watching the official for the first-down signal.   -Vincent T. Lombardi

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #162 : August 16, 2013, 11:10:57 AM »

the thing that I don't really understand is that over the last two seasons, the Bolts have drawn well - I know there are a lot of snowbirders from the north and Canada at the games and the stadium is filled with opponent fans, but for a team that hasn't done very well over the last several seasons, they continue to draw. I know Vinik has done a lot as an owner to improve the fan experience, but what else explains that phenomenon? 

I always through the I4 I75 interchange (Fairgrounds) was the most practical area.  The best aesthetically is Channelside with the Tampa skyline in the outfield (Like Pittsburgh). Not sure that ingress/egress would be easy though.

Went to a conference in Clarrion (sp) a few week ago and there are a ton of corporate buildings out there and the Rays' major issue is corporate support. I could see each of those corps buying a bulk of season tickets or luxury suites and helping the team's attendance.

deadzone

Hall of Famer

« #163 : August 16, 2013, 11:11:22 AM »

No one in Tampa is driving across the bridge in the middle of the week on a work night. That's why it needs to be in Tampa ....simply more people close by.

Some good stuff there.........Big question is where they'll build the ballpark.....some are looking at the Channelside area, but look what a bust that's become. I'm hoping for an isolated site along the I-4 corrider.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #164 : August 16, 2013, 11:18:44 AM »

Apples and oranges . It takes 65,000 to sell-out ray-jay and there are other factors like a team that hasn't made the playoffs in nearly a decade...

Buc fans can't even get 85% of non-luxury seats sold. That's around 40-45k. Pretty weak for only 8 games in the season. Doubt that the Rays 81-game schedule can sell much more than their current avg (18k per game).

I go to 20-30 games a season (Rays), but move them if MLB wants. I can always watch them on MLB.com.
  Page: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sternberg Talks, Stadium, Payroll, Attendance And Keeping Price « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools