Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WTF is BPA? « previous next »
Page: 1

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
: March 15, 2013, 01:58:25 PM

I love when Fans throw this around like teams really know with any certainty who the Best Player Available is. In all of these picks teams have to factor in the talent, and personality of a player, and how they will fit into their team. With these first round picks they have to run the scenarios for each possible player they may draft, and consider how that player will fit in the team for the coming years, and how drafting that player will affect what the team does personnel wise not only through the rest of the draft, but in years to come. If we go back to the 1st round of the 2010 draft, we can probably say the best player so far has been Jason Pierre Paul. Did anyone say that the Giants drafted the Best Player Available back in 2010? No they said they drafted a project, a talented project, but a project.

All BPA is, is a justification fans and media use for a team not drafting the perceived need.
: March 15, 2013, 02:00:48 PM BucsBay

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 15, 2013, 02:09:09 PM

BucsBay, don't make it so complicated.

It means the guy ranked highest on a team's board. It may or may not also be a need.

I'm pretty sure the Giants drafted the best player on their board at the time they drafted JPP.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#2 : March 15, 2013, 02:12:15 PM

I'll preface by admitting I didn't read the post at all, but BPA means the best college player available. The perceived BPA is just as likely to bust as the perceived reach.

Then there is the argument for value. A guy is a reach at 13 but is good value at 20. Well what if you can't get a good deal to trade down? And if you do, what if someone felt he was worth the pick at 18?

It's really just a bunch blah blah blah.

As long as its within reason (don't draft a universally accepted 2round prospect at 13), you just draft the guy you like the most

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#3 : March 15, 2013, 02:13:28 PM

BPA is how a team really sets their draft board and stays with those rankings. It's up to that team to decide how to rank players, and yes potential probably gets considered but it's still BPA until they decide ignore how they put together their draft board.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 15, 2013, 02:13:41 PM

BPA also helps you build quality depth. who would you rather sub in at DE in their rookie season. JPP or daniel teo nesheim? smart teams have been taking this approach for a while and it works out for them. every team makes a list of players they want and they can go to the list and make the selection based on that

you are way over thinking a simple concept

youngone

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 15, 2013, 02:22:55 PM

BPA means selecting Adrian Peterson even though you already have Caddilac Williams..

germcanbuc

Pro Bowler
#6 : March 15, 2013, 02:35:14 PM

^
^
^
^
^
That right there. Im still upset about that. He was the only guy I wanted that year and we passed on him for Adams, may he R.I.P., all because wed drafted Caddy the year before.....Dont get me wrong, I loved Caddy, and hes still one of my fav Bucs all time, but man did that ever piss me off.......

Check out www.reverbnation.com/nickfreddy and follow me on twitter @nick_freddy

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#7 : March 15, 2013, 03:18:51 PM

BVA is a more intelligent strategy than BPA.

Example

Mark Barron may very well have been the "best player" left on our board last year, but he clearly didn't have the best value available.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#8 : March 15, 2013, 03:27:20 PM

BPA is how great teams stay great.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WTF is BPA? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools