Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Eric Wright vs. the Bucs: ...How it all unfolded « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : March 17, 2013, 01:21:16 AM »

Eric Wright vs. the Bucs: How it all unfolded

Stephen F. Holder, Times Staff Writer

Saturday, March 16, 2013 2:35pm

When it was revealed Friday that cornerback Eric Wright lost his grievance hearing against the Bucs, the outcome was clear: Tampa Bay may void the guarantees in his deal and may release him with no consequence.

But if you’re interested in how it all unfolded, and why Wright felt the need to take this action, we have the decision written by arbitrator Shyam Das, a document that sheds much light.

Let’s start on December 19: That’s when the Bucs sent a letter to Wright informing him of their decision to void the guarantees in his contract based on their stance that he did not comply because he was suspended for a violation of the league’s performance-enhancing drug policy.

The letter contained the following language: “As you know, you were recently suspended for four (4) regular-season games by the NFL. As a result of your suspension, during Weeks 13-16 of the 2012 NFL Season, you failed to practice and play with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Therefore, please be advised that the Paragraph 5 Conditional Skill, Injury and Cap Guarantees for the 2012 and 2013 League Years in your NFL Player Contract dated on or about March 13, 2012, have been rendered null and void.”

This tells us that the Bucs long ago made their decision to carry through with this action, and likely decided then to release Wright at a later time – long before the season even ended.

Fast forward to Feb. 4, and we learn that’s when Wright’s lawyers filed the grievance on his behalf. Their argument: That the team did not have the right to void the guarantees because the contract contained no specific language indicating that a PED suspension equated to a breach of contract.

According to Wright’s agents, the Bucs have negotiated multiple contracts that explicitly contain language calling for guarantees to be voided if a player violated the PED or substance-abuse policies. Wright’s own agents say such wording was included in the contract they personally negotiated for 2007 draft pick Arron Sears.

In the document, under the explanation of Wright’s position, it indicates that “Wright insists that any claim that his being barred from playing because of the Steroid Policy violation somehow constitutes a failure or refusal to play cannot overcome the Club's failure to negotiate the right to void the guarantees based on the Steroid Policy.”

In the end, the team justified its action based on the broad language contained in every contract, that a player is subject to financial forfeitures if his availability is impacted by anything not protected in the contract (family emergencies and the like).
In the written decision, arbitrator Das upheld the team’s position.

He wrote, “During his four-game suspension (Wright) clearly failed to practice or play with Club. The only express exception is spelled out – as Wright requested – in the final sentence of Addendum C, that is, if he fails to report due to an NFL football-related injury, illness or death. . . Some contracts provide examples of what is included; others do not. The wording and punctuation in Addendum C are confusing in some respects, but the critical words are sufficiently clear.” Das also cited a number of precedents that agree with his position, too.

And so ends the months-long debate over Wright’s contract, possibly bringing his tenure with the club closer to its end

TampaBucks05

Pro Bowler
« #1 : March 17, 2013, 01:24:52 AM »

More interested in how it ends.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #2 : March 17, 2013, 01:47:43 AM »

He is done for.

I will be surprised if a team signs him for anything more than 1 year 3 mil.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #3 : March 17, 2013, 02:26:34 AM »

He is done for.

Well,  Talib got one year 5mil.

Is Wright better or worse that Talib?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #4 : March 17, 2013, 02:31:00 AM »

How it all unfolded....

Wright got a huge contract.

Wright popped some pills.

Wright got caught.

Wright lost money for being a dumbass.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #5 : March 17, 2013, 03:44:24 AM »

He is done for.

Um...Talib.
Wright is awful, Talib is average.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #6 : March 17, 2013, 07:36:15 AM »

Dec 19.  this is a long time coming.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #7 : March 17, 2013, 08:31:40 AM »

Said it earlier. The fact that Wright fought the voiding of his guarantees was all I needed.

Bucs aren't keeping this overpaid, mediocre, drug dealing, Niners gear wearing twat.

Get this god damned turd off the roster. Jesus Dom. WTF is wrong with you?!?!

Al Bundy

Pro Bowler

« #8 : March 17, 2013, 08:43:04 AM »

Talib and Wright are the same player. Average. He'll get a job somewhere @ 1 for 3 million a year.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #9 : March 17, 2013, 04:05:27 PM »

He is done for.

Um...Talib.
Wright is awful, Talib is average.

And very brittle.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #10 : March 19, 2013, 02:07:25 PM »

Did he get cut?

Eric Wright ‏@EWrighteous21
So when challenge arise, Ill rise to the occasion & do my best to set an example of perseverance, persistence & discipline for my community

Eric Wright ‏@EWrighteous21
I understand that obstacles r really opportunities to learn and to grow stronger...

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
« #11 : March 19, 2013, 02:10:43 PM »

My first reaction to the one about "discipline for my community" was that it's step one in trying to get back into Schiano's good graces.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #12 : March 19, 2013, 02:13:02 PM »

Actions speak louder than tweets.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer
« #13 : March 19, 2013, 02:13:47 PM »

How it all unfolded....

Wright got a huge contract.

Wright popped some pills.

Wright got caught.

Wright lost money for being a dumbass.

That about says it all. Thanks. ;D

GayRobot

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Starter

« #14 : March 19, 2013, 02:16:12 PM »

Meh, flame at me all you want but I think wright is a better corner than what we have at the moment. Did he play better? Not at all, he was awful but if he can get his **CENSORED** together he has the potential to be a decent number 2... I just think he played worse than his abilities and he's wayyyy overpaid
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Eric Wright vs. the Bucs: ...How it all unfolded « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools