Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Two boys convicted in Steubenville rape case « previous next »
Page: 1 2

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

: March 17, 2013, 03:58:52 PM

Inside a small Steubenville, Ohio, courtroom filled with sobbing and exhausting emotion, Judge Thomas Lipps found Trent Mays and Ma'lik Richmond guilty Sunday of raping an intoxicated 16-year-old girl. Lipps sentenced both defendants to a minimum of one year in a youth correctional institute with the determination for a longer sentence coming from child-service experts.

Mays received an additional year for transmission of nude photos, to be served after his rape sentence is completed. Mays and Richmond also will have to register as sex offenders for the rest of their lives.

"It provides a great incentive to do well," said Lipps, who could have ordered Mays and Richmond to remain behind bars until they turned 21.

Mays, 17, and Richmond, 16, both wept, at times uncontrollably, as the verdict was announced. Mays buried his head in a handkerchief as defense attorneys rubbed his back. He later hugged his parents goodbye.

--

The five-day trial of Mays and Richmond for the August 2012 rape of the West Virginia girl, who had come across the Ohio River for a night of partying, engulfed this old mill town in the eastern part of the state. Both boys are members of the high-profile and historically successful Big Red football team at Steubenville High School, which serves as a point of pride for the city dealing with economic hardship after the collapse of the steel industry.

Put in the spotlight was the local football team, which, critics said, allowed players to brazenly operate seemingly above the law for years. Social-media accounts, self-made videos, photos and classless text messages exposed an entire world that seemed like a Hollywood script of a high school team out of control.

It also exposed a teenage culture of weak ethics, rampant alcohol abuse and poor family structures that wound up dooming Mays and Richmond, both of whom had promising futures and no criminal past.

After the verdict, Nathaniel Richmond approached the defense table and held his son for a prolonged period. According to defense attorney Walter Madison who was overcome with tears for what he said was the first time in his legal career the elder Richmond told his son he loved him.

"I knew he realized he loved him, but he never told him [before]," Madison said. "So it took this."

It took this for a lot of things to come to light.

Rape, experts say, is a crime of power and control more than sex. Underlying all of that is arrogance, and in Steubenville it was taken to the extreme.

Throughout this trial, the two defendants and a parade of friends who wound up mostly testifying against the defendants, expressed little understanding of rape let alone common decency or respect for women. Despite the conviction, the defendants likely don't view themselves as rapists, at least not the classic sense of a man hiding in the shadows.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/highschool--steubenville-high-school-football-players-found-guilty-of-raping-16-year-old-girl-164129528.html

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#1 : March 17, 2013, 04:10:47 PM

It also exposed a teenage culture of weak ethics, rampant alcohol abuse and poor family structures that wound up dooming Mays and Richmond, both of whom had promising futures and no criminal past. 

Ya think?!

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#2 : March 18, 2013, 04:59:12 PM

This was a sick story, it's nice to hear a few of the people involved are paying the price.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#3 : March 18, 2013, 05:39:49 PM

Ya think?!

the root cause of many problems in this country

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#4 : March 19, 2013, 02:52:20 AM

Living in Ohio, I hear about this all the time now. Its a damn shame they can only be in jail up to 21 years old. They needed to be tried as adults. They have so much evidence on them, that these kids KNEW what they were doing. Talking on a video about how they would want her raped too, if it was their daughter.

McBarron

Pro Bowler

#5 : March 19, 2013, 04:26:36 PM

Can this **CENSORED** be appealed?

There is only one court in the whole country that would allow these MONSTERS to be tried as juveniles: Steubenville, Ohio.

Well, when some poor woman gets raped by these evil f%cks in like 5 yrs, then I sure hope they get the f'in chair.

JUSTICE FAIL.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 20, 2013, 12:37:33 AM

Two teen girls now arrested for making death threats TO THE VICTIM!

There is something in the water in that town.

McBarron

Pro Bowler

#7 : March 20, 2013, 08:55:05 AM

I feel so horrible for the girl and her family. Damn, if I was the dad.........i dunno, man.......how I could resist getting vigilante justice after this farce of a ruling by that corrupt ass court is beyond me.

McBarron

Pro Bowler

#8 : March 20, 2013, 01:16:54 PM

Anyone who wants to see this debate or participate in this debate on a Ohio State board, do so here.

http://www.buckeyeplanet.com/forum/open-discussion-work-safe/630414-steubenville-scandal-merged-10.html#post2317318

I'm Blue Falcon, and they already hate me.....

TheAman

Hall of Famer
#9 : March 20, 2013, 01:19:37 PM

It's kinda sad that the coach hasn't been fired yet.  He helped cover it up.

McBarron

Pro Bowler

#10 : March 20, 2013, 01:32:43 PM

They're very much on the side that the court was right in trying them a juvies. Unbelievable.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 20, 2013, 06:19:57 PM

Did you see the reaction from CNN, from two women none the less, on this and how sad it was to see such promising lives "ruined".

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/03/cnns-not-only-one-peddling-sympathy-steubenville-rapists/63204/

They're rapist scumbags. Good their lives are ruined.  Plus I'm not sure how "promising" their lives were. To borry a line from Heathers, "Football season is over, they had nothing left to offer the world except for date rapes and AIDS jokes. "

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

McBarron

Pro Bowler

#12 : March 21, 2013, 09:01:39 AM

Did you see the reaction from CNN, from two women none the less, on this and how sad it was to see such promising lives "ruined".

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/03/cnns-not-only-one-peddling-sympathy-steubenville-rapists/63204/

They're rapist scumbags. Good their lives are ruined.  Plus I'm not sure how "promising" their lives were. To borry a line from Heathers, "Football season is over, they had nothing left to offer the world except for date rapes and AIDS jokes. "

Yeah, CNN is a truly pathetic news outlet.

I wish their lives would have actually been ruined by having them serve REAL time with the big boys. This way they would truly know how it feels to be gang-raped.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#13 : March 21, 2013, 12:07:05 PM

Stupidville

McBarron

Pro Bowler

#14 : March 22, 2013, 12:48:05 PM

Stupidville

I heard others call it "Rapeyville"

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Two boys convicted in Steubenville rape case « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools