Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Remaining Free Agents and Other Free Agency Gibberish « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: March 18, 2013, 01:42:10 AM

Remaining Free Agents and Other Free Agency Gibberish

Mar 16 2013, 11:44a

I would like to start off this post by expressing my opinion of this free agency period as of right now (day 5) by giving my rank on the signings the Bucs have made.

Dashon Goldson: The man got paid. I still like the signing and am excited for the next 4 seasons of WR's and TE's fearing catching a pass over the middle with Barron and Goldson back there to destroy them. B-

Kevin Ogletree: All I ever heard when people spoke of him over the past few years was his massive potential. Last season he had a breakout game and then made a small amount of plays after that. I like the signing though. I think he is a serviceable 3rd WR who still has room to grow. B

Jonathon Casillas: The replacement for Quincy Black, getting 3 million over 1 year with no guarantees. So basically if the Bucs don't like what they see they can just cut him. C+

Tom Crabtree: Big Tom Crabtree fan right here. Curious to see how much it was for. If its under 3 million a year then I think its a good signing. B+

Now for the reason you clicked on this post, players that are still available. After four days of free agency, the market still has many solid players to offer. There are a good amount of cut players and seasoned players that would be serviceable. There are also some players still in their prime and some players that still have room to improve. I am using NFL.com's free agency tracker and I am sorting by position. I specify the search by experience and work my way down the list from there. Its also where I get age from so don't hate if they will be a year older come regular season.

Running Backs: Javon Ringer (26), LaRod Stephens Howling (25), Felix Jones (25), Ahmad Bradshaw (26), FB Greg Jones (31), and Michael Turner (31).

Wide Reciever: KR/PR Brandon Banks (25), Julian Edelman (26), Darrius Heyward-Bey (26), Early Doucet (27), and Domenik Hixon (28).

Tight End: Cameron Morrah (25), Brandon Myers (27), Fred Davis (27), Kellen Davis (27), and Kevin Boss (29).

Offensive Line: T Eben Britton (25), G Lance Louis (27), G Matt Slauson (27), T Andre Smith (26), T Sebastian Vollmer (28), T Jake Long (27), G Kevin Boothe (28), T Eric Winston (29), and G Brandon Moore (32).

Defensive Line: DE Lawrence Jackson (27), DT/NT Alan Branch (28), DE Elvis Dumervil (29), DT Corey Williams (32), DE Osi Umenyiora (31), DE Dwight Freeney (33), and DE John Abraham (34). Some more DT's Richard Seymour(33), Sedrick Ellis (27), Amobi Okoye (25), Dwan Edwards (31), and Sen'Derrick Marks (26).

Linebacker: Frank Zombo (26), Victor Butler (25), Larry Grant (28), Gerald McRath (26), Dan Connor (27), Gary Guyton (27), James Anderson (29), and Carlos Dansby (31).

Cornerback: E.J. Biggers (25), Jacob Lacey (25), D.J. Moore (25), Captain Munnerlynn (24), Brent Grimes (29), Mike Jenkins (27), Tracy Porter (26), Aqib Talib (27), Adam "Pacman" Jones (29), Chris Carr (29), Kelvin Hayden (29), Stanford Routt (29), DeAngello Hall (29), Nnamdi Asomugha (31), Rashean Mathis (32), Sheldon Brown (33), and Antoine Winfield (35).

Don't interpret this as my list of desired free agents. I'm just simply throwing out some of the more popular and skilled players that are still available in my opinion. If I had my way right now with the Bucs cap I would throw money at the following.

CB Tracy Porter, CB E.J. Biggers, and CB Brent Grimes, as well as trade for Darrelle Revis. I'm not saying sign all these guys, but getting two of these guys and Revis or all three of them and no Revis would give the Bucs a serviceable pass defense.

]LB  Larry Grant, LB Dan Connor, or LB Carlos Dansby. Grant is a good special teams player that got stuck behind Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman, Dan Connor is a good LB and Carlos Dansby's release is a travesty. We would have to cut Casillas first though.

DE Elvis Dumervil, DE Dwight Freeney, NT Alan Branch, and DE Lawrence Jackson. Dumervil is a no brainer. Freeney is a great 4-3 DE who has lost a bit of a step but still can get to the QB. Branch would be our NT and a rotational guy. Jackson provides depth and decent pass rushing.

OTSebastion Vollmer and OT Eben Britton. Throw Penn to RT and give Vollmer the LT duties. Sign me up. Britton had a bad season at a terrible time. A former starter and 2nd round pick, he could provide tackle depth at a cheap price.

TE  Brandon Myers. This guy was a reliable catcher and blocker last season for the Raiders. He had a better season both then Keller and Bennett but still manages to be unknown. But now that we have MVP Tom Crabtree this is unlikely.

WR/KR/PR Brandon Banks and/or Julian Edelman, WR Darrius Heyward-Bey. Special teams needs a upgrade and Banks would be a cheap solution. Edelman can provide depth at WR and play special teams. Heyward-Bey is fast. That's pretty much his only good quality. I doubt any big WR names will be brought in with Ogletree signing.

RB Javon Ringer, RB Michael Turner, RB LaRod Stephens Howling, and FB Greg Jones. Ringer and Turner are complimentary bruisers while Stephens-Howling is a scat back that can handle returns. Jones is a good blocking FB and would be a upgrade over Lorig in the short term but he probably resigns with the Jags.

So, if I had my way I would trade for Revis and sign Porter, Biggers, Banks, Ringer, and Vollmer. Revis will probably get 13 million, Porter 3 million, Biggers 1 million, Banks peanuts, Ringer 1 million, and Vollmer 7 million. This would be around 25 million but contracts can be back loaded or have incentives. As much as I want the Bucs to make a play at Elvis Dumervil, I believe he is expensive and has already hit his prime. Would love to have him just hope its for a Cliff Avril like contract (7.5 million).

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/3/16/4112242/remaining-free-agents-and-other-free-agency-gibberish

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 18, 2013, 02:51:58 AM

Who wrote this? Did you?

Seriously, the Goldson signing gets a B-, but the Ogletree signing gets a solid B? I question that thinking right away. Does whomever wrote this know how much Goldson will help free up, not only possibly barber, but also the corners and barron?

Crabtree hasn't done squat yet in football terms, yet he's supposed to be a B+ because he came from a popular team who's homer fans like him? (Sounds like a packer fan to me)

And in no way do you move Penn from his spot for a "maybe" type player, not against the competition he normally faces...No way do you do that.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#2 : March 18, 2013, 03:00:05 AM

Ya its dumb.  Goldson is a solid A, no matter how you look at it.

Cornerback: E.J. Biggers (25), Jacob Lacey (25), D.J. Moore (25), Captain Munnerlynn (24), Brent Grimes (29), Mike Jenkins (27), Tracy Porter (26), Aqib Talib (27), Adam "Pacman" Jones (29), Chris Carr (29), Kelvin Hayden (29), Stanford Routt (29), DeAngello Hall (29), Nnamdi Asomugha (31), Rashean Mathis (32), Sheldon Brown (33), and Antoine Winfield (35).

Now that group right there is about the most uninspiring group I have seen.  I wouldn't touch any of them.  If the Revis thing doesn't pan out, draft 2 or 3 CB's early.
: March 18, 2013, 03:31:15 AM The Anti-Java

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 18, 2013, 03:05:31 AM

Perhaps we overpaid for Goldson. He IS a safety :PP

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 18, 2013, 03:09:46 AM

Perhaps we overpaid for Goldson. He IS a safety :PP

But a young one, and an All Pro also.  Your going to pay for a player of that caliber.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 18, 2013, 03:13:50 AM

He may be one of the best safeties right now, but I think league safety quality  has dipped. Is Goldson REALLY Troy P or Ed Reed talented (in their prime)? It's a moot point now because the ink is dry, but I think we could have got him cheaper.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 18, 2013, 03:20:20 AM

He may be one of the best safeties right now, but I think league safety quality  has dipped. Is Goldson REALLY Troy P or Ed Reed talented (in their prime)? It's a moot point now because the ink is dry, but I think we could have got him cheaper.

I don't think they wanted to take a chance on him leaving OBP,  and making other visits.  He is a hell of a nice fit here.  IMO.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#7 : March 18, 2013, 03:26:08 AM

Goldson will provide a lot for this particular team LF. Particularly if barber stays on.

If Barron goes back to college form in his old position and Goldson is the same as with the 9ers, sliding coverage can be done much better than it was in the past and TE's won't have such a mis-match advantage.

However, it's not enough to make a overnight improvement. Tampa needs a solid vet corner to round out any major improvements.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#8 : March 18, 2013, 04:06:17 AM

Goldson will provide a lot for this particular team LF. Particularly if barber stays on.

If Barron goes back to college form in his old position and Goldson is the same as with the 9ers, sliding coverage can be done much better than it was in the past and TE's won't have such a mis-match advantage.

However, it's not enough to make a overnight improvement. Tampa needs a solid vet corner to round out any major improvements.

I wonder if the Goldson signing swayed Ronde a bit closer to the rocking chair?  Love him, but he is way too slow to go back to CB.   And Black is a pretty nice backup at safety.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#9 : March 18, 2013, 04:13:52 AM

Long signed a 4 year deal with the Rams.

West Coast is loading up...NFC West.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#10 : March 18, 2013, 04:27:34 AM

I wonder if the Goldson signing swayed Ronde a bit closer to the rocking chair?  Love him, but he is way too slow to go back to CB.   And Black is a pretty nice backup at safety.

Possibly. Schiano convinced him to stay last season by saying he wanted barber to wait until he got his feet on the NFL turf and improve the defense.

Although, I have asked myself a couple of times if Schiano would be nutty enough to start Barber at corner since they signed Goldson. No way though.

m_j

Starter

#11 : March 18, 2013, 06:29:46 AM

Revis/CB story is clear, no need to waste more words there, same with DL after losing two solid guys.
I am worried about OL, I do not think we are in play for Vollmer, but we actually need an offensive tackle pretty urgent. German guy might be too expensive for Dom, considering how many cap space goes into our DL.. I am not sure who else would suit there. This way or other, we still need year or two to be really competitive .... with ??? on QB?  ;D

youngone

Hall of Famer
#12 : March 18, 2013, 09:21:57 AM

Sign Alan Branch, Larry Grant, a pass rusher, trade for you know who, draft a CB and this defense is good to go.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 18, 2013, 09:36:57 AM

I can understand why the grade on the Goldson singing is lower than expected. When looking at the needs of this defense before FA started, FS would have been on the list, but certainly lower than the positions of DE and CB. Goldson is a good player, but unless the pass rush and CB positions are improved you wont be much better off than a Black/Barron combo at safety. Goldson had a particular job in SF and had a specific and much lighter load than he will have here. For the last 2 years he has had a great pass rush paired with the two of the best ILBs in the front of him, as well as CBs that are light years better than the ones currently on our roster. I have my doubts that he will be as dynamic of a safety in Tampa than he was in SF. He is still really good and I like him a lot as a player. I certainly don't hate the signing, but it's very possible that he will have 3 poor-to-below average pass defending DBs accompanying him come Sept. I am not expecting a huge difference from what we saw last year at the FS position, to what we see at the FS position in 2013.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#14 : March 18, 2013, 09:44:22 AM

Lots of good available talent still

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Remaining Free Agents and Other Free Agency Gibberish « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools