Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Remaining Free Agents and Other Free Agency Gibberish « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#15 : March 18, 2013, 09:52:48 AM

I can understand why the grade on the Goldson singing is lower than expected. When looking at the needs of this defense before FA started, FS would have been on the list, but certainly lower than the positions of DE and CB. Goldson is a good player, but unless the pass rush and CB positions are improved you wont be much better off than a Black/Barron combo at safety. Goldson had a particular job in SF and had a specific and much lighter load than he will have here. For the last 2 years he has had a great pass rush paired with the two of the best ILBs in the front of him, as well as CBs that are light years better than the ones currently on our roster. I have my doubts that he will be as dynamic of a safety in Tampa than he was in SF. He is still really good and I like him a lot as a player. I certainly don't hate the signing, but it's very possible that he will have 3 poor-to-below average pass defending DBs accompanying him come Sept. I am not expecting a huge difference from what we saw last year at the FS position, to what we see at the FS position in 2013.

Add to that he is significantly overpaid.  We're paying him like an elite game-changer, which he's not.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#16 : March 18, 2013, 10:03:12 AM

Lots of good available talent still
Bucs should move on the available talent at cb.  Now.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#17 : March 18, 2013, 11:35:38 AM

Nah, I'd wait on Revis. Dominik must feel pretty solid, still could get burned, but he knows more than the rest of us.

I'd use the remaining FA to sign guys like ringer, branch, a lower RT, seymour, and others.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#18 : March 18, 2013, 11:44:51 AM

Nah, I'd wait on Revis. Dominik must feel pretty solid, still could get burned, but he knows more than the rest of us.

I'd use the remaining FA to sign guys like ringer, branch, a lower RT, seymour, and others.

You swing and miss on Revis, and we are right back where were in 2012 with the same bad pass rush and the same bad CBs. The pass D will be just as bad, regardless of who is lined up in the safety spots.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#19 : March 18, 2013, 11:57:07 AM

Not necessarily, this draft is loaded with good corners and pass rushers so that will push veterans out of the door for some teams. We could hit on rookies and veterans at the same time if we swing and miss on Revis. Thats not a sound strategy but it happens every year. There really isn't any cream in the crop that's availible right now at corner but we could make some moves on the Dline right now with alot of good availible players.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#20 : March 18, 2013, 12:02:48 PM

Not necessarily, this draft is loaded with good corners and pass rushers so that will push veterans out of the door for some teams.
+1

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#21 : March 18, 2013, 12:05:17 PM

Not necessarily, this draft is loaded with good corners and pass rushers so that will push veterans out of the door for some teams. We could hit on rookies and veterans at the same time if we swing and miss on Revis. Thats not a sound strategy but it happens every year. There really isn't any cream in the crop that's availible right now at corner but we could make some moves on the Dline right now with alot of good availible players.
From where I stand the pass rushers this year look like crap.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#22 : March 18, 2013, 12:15:41 PM

Dumervil, Freeney, Abraham are available.. Even though we are waiting for this Revis trade, we are still be the team swinging the biggest stick when it comes to cash. I just wish Dom could a gentleman's agreement with Revis' agent on a final number that works for both sides and sign other players while we wait accordingly.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#23 : March 18, 2013, 12:21:40 PM

Unless we trade up..in the 1st round we will be looking at only Ansah and Rhodes as viable options at the DE and CB positions with our selection. Which one will come in and have better immediate and long term impact?...Toss up.

I will say though, that I doubt we use our 1st rounder on a DE since we do have 2 DE starters in place and since we have 2-3 other holes on the D that could be addressed. If not much changed in terms of FA acquisitions, I would bet that if we stay at #13, the Bucs would take a CB or NT.

smithcar

Starter

#24 : March 18, 2013, 12:26:57 PM

We still need to spend to get the the floor of the cap, this yer you need to spend 89%.  I think that means we need to be at about 110 million, so we are still going to sign someone.  I would love to see some CB help but maybe Schiano is willing to go with the draft here, wouldn't be the end of the world IMO.  I would really like us to bring in Abraham or Freeney as a back up or starter depending on Bowers and his legal issues.  I would love to add a RT but again this could be done through the draft. 

I have said several times I do not want Revis, he is a cap nightmare and will cause us greif in the long term which may cause us to cut or let go of other young talent, we need much more than a single dominate player who is coming off a severe knee injury.  Not to mention that by trading for him we will be giving up at least 2 picks in the future, these players likely will not be as good as him but they both could end up being pro bowl types.  I would rather have two pro bowl players than one dominate CB.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#25 : March 18, 2013, 12:29:26 PM

Dumervil, Freeney, Abraham are available.. Even though we are waiting for this Revis trade, we are still be the team swinging the biggest stick when it comes to cash. I just wish Dom could a gentleman's agreement with Revis' agent on a final number that works for both sides and sign other players while we wait accordingly.

You made it sound like you were speaking exclusively about the draft...which is I think what FRG was referring to. If you are talking about FA as well, then there are still quality CBs that are available and would be solid #2 CBs and would help to solidify our defensive backfield.

Nnamdi, Grimes, Winfield, Porter, Jammer, Sheldon Brown, and D Hall. There isn't much left after that...but all of those guys are much better than anyone on the roster. God, I hope we at least get one of them.

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#26 : March 18, 2013, 12:32:16 PM

Unless we trade up..in the 1st round we will be looking at only Ansah and Rhodes as viable options at the DE and CB positions with our selection. Which one will come in and have better immediate and long term impact?...Toss up.

I will say though, that I doubt we use our 1st rounder on a DE since we do have 2 DE starters in place and since we have 2-3 other holes on the D that could be addressed. If not much changed in terms of FA acquisitions, I would bet that if we stay at #13, the Bucs would take a CB or NT.

Unlikely Ansah is there, possible that Rhodes is if Miami doesn't take him. Saw a mock today with Dion Jordan which would be great but doubtful again, so it's more like Trufant or Werner for CB and DE that are going to be there, which I would go with Trufant if trading down isn't possible.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#27 : March 18, 2013, 12:41:40 PM

You made it sound like you were speaking exclusively about the draft...which is I think what FRG was referring to. If you are talking about FA as well, then there are still quality CBs that are available and would be solid #2 CBs and would help to solidify our defensive backfield.

Nnamdi, Grimes, Winfield, Porter, Jammer, Sheldon Brown, and D Hall. There isn't much left after that...but all of those guys are much better than anyone on the roster. God, I hope we at least get one of them.
Yes, I was referring to the pass rushers in the draft.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#28 : March 18, 2013, 12:49:10 PM

I was referring to free agency. Those players would be upgrades to what we have now but which one of those guys fit the mold of the kind of players they want here. Grimes, Winfield and Jammer maybe, but they will be available later I think. I think this patience will pay off because the only way we don't improve our secondary this year is if we do nothing at all, and by reports that's obviously not the case.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#29 : March 18, 2013, 12:51:39 PM

Yes, I was referring to the pass rushers in the draft.

Other than taking Jarvis Jones or Dion Jordan I would rather sign a pass rusher from FA.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Remaining Free Agents and Other Free Agency Gibberish « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools