Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who do you think was the Bucs, Biggest Draft Day Regret, In Franchise History « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#30 : March 19, 2013, 09:17:17 AM

Cadillac over Aaron Rodgers. The supporting cast in 05, 07 and 08 was more than good enough to win a Super Bowl.

i completely disagree on this one. nobody had ever heard of aaron rodgers when he came out.

Duuuuude..... stop posting!!!

http://walterfootball.com/draft2005.php

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2005/mock2005.html

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/2005draft/2005-04-22-mock-draft-bell_x.htm

WOW way to completely miss my point. Rodgers wasnt a star in college and most people didnt know who the hell he was. trust me, i watch more college football than is probably healthy and if i dont know who a guy is, that says something. Williams was a star and Rodgers was a guy that nobody really knew about unless they were a Cal fan or a fan of a team that played Cal regularly. as i recall the big qbs in 05 were Leinert and vince young for better or worse.

coming out Williams was a sure thing. he had the production in the SEC to back it up. i disagree with taking a runningback that high but i get it. Rodgers was something of an unknown. he ended up working out very well for the Packers but obviously wasnt an instant impact guy when they took him. hell if we had taken him hed probably have been a bust. its not like we had all world receivers and a brilliant OC/HC in mike mccarthy

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#31 : March 19, 2013, 09:21:14 AM

If you want to take it as Vinny was a bad pick because it meant prematurely giving up on Steve Young, then, sure, but as far as evaluating Vinny as a player, he's one of the better 1st round picks in team history. There's a great blog about Vinny and how he basically had the worst teammates over his career as any longtime QB and that tremendously affected his reputation.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Sweep

Hall of Famer
#32 : March 19, 2013, 09:22:51 AM

Booker Reese and Bo Jackson.

Its going to look to some people like a different play every time we use it, but pretty soon theyll be able to recognize it....by watching the official for the first-down signal.   -Vincent T. Lombardi

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#33 : March 19, 2013, 09:24:28 AM

Cadillac over Aaron Rodgers. The supporting cast in 05, 07 and 08 was more than good enough to win a Super Bowl.

i completely disagree on this one. nobody had ever heard of aaron rodgers when he came out.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/2005draft/2005-04-22-mock-draft-bell_x.htm

WOW way to completely miss my point. Rodgers wasnt a star in college and most people didnt know who the hell he was. trust me, i watch more college football than is probably healthy and if i dont know who a guy is, that says something. Williams was a star and Rodgers was a guy that nobody really knew about unless they were a Cal fan or a fan of a team that played Cal regularly. as i recall the big qbs in 05 were Leinert and vince young for better or worse.

coming out Williams was a sure thing. he had the production in the SEC to back it up. i disagree with taking a runningback that high but i get it. Rodgers was something of an unknown. he ended up working out very well for the Packers but obviously wasnt an instant impact guy when they took him. hell if we had taken him hed probably have been a bust. its not like we had all world receivers and a brilliant OC/HC in mike mccarthy
You're going nowhere with this.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#34 : March 19, 2013, 09:31:26 AM

For those saying Bo Jackson he doesn't count. He clearly stated he didn't want to come here and the Bucs drafted him anyway.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#35 : March 19, 2013, 09:38:28 AM

So most people hadn't heard of  guy that was considered a possible #1 overall right until the moment the Niners picked Smith  and this is based on you having not heard of him?
To me that says a whole lot more about you than Rodgers position at that time.

Also what do the big QBs in college football during 2005 have to do with anything when Caddy & Rodgers were drafted in 05, in other words BEFORE that season happened, you mention Leinart but the year before Rodgers was drafted he was the All- Pac-10 first team QB NOT Leinart.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#36 : March 19, 2013, 09:43:54 AM

For those saying Bo Jackson he doesn't count. He clearly stated he didn't want to come here and the Bucs drafted him anyway.
He doesn;t count, why, because you say so?
Do you honestly think the Bucs franchise didn't regret taking a guy who refused to sign/report first overall?
They could have picked ANYONE else from the rookie pool and it would have been a better pick, even the guy picked last ,Mike Travis of GT
It helps to read what the topic is before commenting

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#37 : March 19, 2013, 09:52:01 AM

yeah i guess im the one whos wrong here................

either way this is pretty pointless. you guys **CENSORED**ing about us not picking Rodgers is pretty idiotic. like ive said, theres no way to know hed turn out the way he has.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#38 : March 19, 2013, 10:05:50 AM

either way this is pretty pointless. you guys **CENSORED**ing about us not picking Rodgers is pretty idiotic. like ive said, theres no way to know hed turn out the way he has.
So a marginally regarded prospect like Josh Freeman can play under Greg Olson for three of four years and break nearly every team passing record, yet the best QB in the NFL and projected #1 overall pick wouldn't turn out very well playing for Jon Gruden?

aquilus

Pro Bowler

#39 : March 19, 2013, 10:11:01 AM

Id say biggest blunder was not taking BO at face value when he said he didnt want to come here....the other was Keith McCants....If you look at that draft and see the players we passed for him it will make you puke

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#40 : March 19, 2013, 10:16:05 AM

So a marginally regarded prospect like Josh Freeman can play under Greg Olson for three of four years and break nearly every team passing record, yet the best QB in the NFL and projected #1 overall pick wouldn't turn out very well playing for Jon Gruden?
That's impossible to know.
Would a rookie Rodgers have wilted under the pressure of being the #1 overall pick rather than being a guy that had one of the worst waits in draft history?
Would he have had his confidence shot by playing right away with an inferior team rather than sitting and learning from a HoFer for years and taking over a really good team?
Could he have handled Grudens (at times) aggressive coaching?

How many high pick QBs have really been busts due to their own actions rather than because the team sucked and the QB was thrown in there to fight fo his life?
For as great as Rodgers is now I don't think hes mentally tough enough to have withstood the pressure he would have had going #1 or even to our Bucs.
As much as Culter gets ripped I think Rodgers is actually bigger baby than him, just look at how he couldn't let go of the Seattle game, 10 weeks later and he was still crying about it.

(edit: must remember to use spell check more often)
: March 19, 2013, 10:22:40 AM TBTrojan

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#41 : March 19, 2013, 10:16:08 AM

breaking passing records at tampa bay isnt a hard thing. this team has never been an offensive juggernaut. we also still  had a sub .500 season with that offensive performance. obviously the horrible defense had a big hand in it but the point still stands

i honestly dont think rodgers would have flourished under Gruden. he was notoriously hard on QBs and seemed to prefer veterans over rookies

lowlife

Starter

#42 : March 19, 2013, 10:17:32 AM

How can the answer be anything but Bo?

Tampa had the #1 overall pick and could have had anyone they wanted. They pick the one guy that wouldn't play for them and boom look what happened. A swift kick in the nuts and a true laughing stock moment in Buccaneer history, among many moments.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#43 : March 19, 2013, 10:18:15 AM

That's impossible to know.
Would a rookie Rodgers have wilted under the pressre of being the #1 overall pick rather than being a guy that had one of the worst waits in draft history?
Would he have had his confidence shot by playing right away with an inferior team rqther than sitting and learning from a HoFer for year and taking over a really good team?
Could he have handled Grudens (at times) aggressive coaching?

How many high pick QBs have really been busted due to their own actions rather than becasue the team sucked and the QB was thrown in their to fight fo his life?
For as great as Rodgers is now I don't think hes mentally tough enough to have withstood the pressure he would have had going #1 or even to our Bucs.
As much as Culter gets ripped I think Rodgers is actually bigger baby than him, just look at how he couldn't let go of the Seattle game, 10 weeks later and he was still crying about it.

thankyou. this is my exact thought process. most qbs who get taken in the first round have a tough road to hoe. usually if you are taking a 1st round qb your team sucks, unless you are picking in the mid to late 20s because youve got an aging veteran

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#44 : March 19, 2013, 10:19:41 AM

How is this not a hands down answer of Bo Jackson?  Sure we have had other miscues in the draft (that might be an understatement).  But to use the #1 overall draft pick on a player who said he wouldnt sign...and then didnt.  Complete waste of that pick.  At least with all the busts we have had, they showed up and we got something out of them.  Not to watch them be a superstar for another team a year later.

It was before my time but it's hard to blame them for drafting maybe the greatest athlete in history. The mistake in all that was not doing everything humanly possible for him to report.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who do you think was the Bucs, Biggest Draft Day Regret, In Franchise History « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools