Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Hall of Fame CB Lem Barney offered up a fitting football epitaph for Ronde « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: March 19, 2013, 01:50:08 AM

Proposed rule change involving crown of helmet has plenty of folks talking

TRIBUNE FILE PHOTO
Former Bucs safety John Lynch was a semifinalist in his first year on the Pro Football Hall of Fame ballot.

By TBO.COM | Staff
Published: March 19, 2013

PHOENIX --

One of the most intriguing issues up for debate at the owners meetings is a player safety proposal designed to eliminate the use of the crown of the helmet as a weapon when running backs and defenders operate in space.

"This one's gotten a lot of discussion, and so far, it's going well," said Rams coach Jeff Fisher, a member of the NFL Competition Committee. "We're not saying the ball carrier can't get small. As a runner in this league, you're not going to last very long if you run tall.

"But we've done a lot of work in this area and watched a lot of tape and when the crown comes down, it's a problem. We want to bring the shoulder back to the game.''

Former Pro Bowl guard Reggie McKenzie, who opened holes for O.J. Simpson in Buffalo 40 years ago, said the proposed crown rule is a touchy subject.

"This is an abnormal sport," McKenzie said Monday. "To want to run into somebody full speed, knock the heck out of him and like it that just isn't normal. It's a natural occurrence that when you go to tackle a runner, he's going to tuck and the guy who's going for the tackle is going to tuck. You don't even think about it.

"If a guy came in this hotel right now and fired a gun or a bomb went off, you duck your head without even thinking about it."

Be patient

Hall of Fame safety Paul Krause has a message for John Lynch.

Your day will come.

Krause still holds the NFL record with 81 career interceptions, but he didn't make it to Canton until 1998, almost two decades after his retirement from the Vikings.

Lynch, who earned nine Pro Bowl berths with the Bucs and Broncos, was eligible for the Hall this year and made the list of 25 semifinalists before he was eliminated from consideration.

"People ask me why I didn't get in the Hall earlier," Krause said. "We don't know. Take a guy like John Lynch great football player. It takes time. I'm hoping he gets in one day."

The Bucs are pairing second-year pro Mark Barron and free-agent acquisition Dashon Goldson at safety this fall, giving a beleaguered secondary two thumpers.

"Safeties have a different job than corners,'' Krause said. "It's a lot of recognition.''

Salute to Ronde

With DB Ronde Barber still contemplating retirement rather than return for a 17th NFL season, Hall of Fame CB Lem Barney offered up a fitting football epitaph for Tampa Bay's only remaining player link to the 2002 championship club.

"Here's what I think of Ronde Barber,'' Barney said. "Little guy, big heart and boy, can he play the game. Unlike a lot of players, he works out all the time to stay in shape and I respect that. I just enjoy watching the man play."

Ira Kaufman

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 19, 2013, 09:36:31 AM

I remember Lem Barney well; a thorn in Lombardi's Packers' side for the Lions. Similar-type player; not big, fast, or flashy, but sneaky-good; made a few game-changing plays!

SCLOBERNOCKER

Hall of Famer

#2 : March 19, 2013, 09:38:30 AM

John will make it one day. One of the greats.

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 19, 2013, 10:01:46 AM

Doubt Lynch makes it, it's extremely tough to make it as a safety.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 19, 2013, 11:22:55 AM

Ronde will make it, doubt Lynch does though.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#5 : March 19, 2013, 12:46:29 PM

I grew up in Detroit watching Lem Barney and he was really one of the best. Too bad he had to play on a bad Lions team for most of his career. High praise from him, especially when he doesn't talk to the media all that much.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 19, 2013, 04:33:02 PM

He will eventually. No doubt in my mind about that.

But this running rule they're talking about bothers the crap out of me. Who exactly is going to define the definition "leading with a helmet?"

Don't you always lead with your head moving forward?? ...seems like just another set-up to keep the media hyped teams in power.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#7 : March 19, 2013, 09:09:33 PM

He will eventually. No doubt in my mind about that.

But this running rule they're talking about bothers the crap out of me. Who exactly is going to define the definition "leading with a helmet?"

Don't you always lead with your head moving forward?? ...seems like just another set-up to keep the media hyped teams in power.

Trent Richardson is the poster boy for the rule change.  When they show an example, more often than not, its him.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#8 : March 19, 2013, 09:32:11 PM

Any rule that's subject to an officials interpretation is a BAD rule in my book. If it's not a CLEAR violation of a rigidly EXACTLY defined rule, refs should not have to deal with it. We all know the refs instead will be "pressured" to call it if they so much as think it MIGHT have occurred, or is about to occur. That's how all these subjective rules end up being enforced... >:(

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#9 : March 19, 2013, 09:49:16 PM

Any rule that's subject to an officials interpretation is a BAD rule in my book. If it's not a CLEAR violation of a rigidly EXACTLY defined rule, refs should not have to deal with it. We all know the refs instead will be "pressured" to call it if they so much as think it MIGHT have occurred, or is about to occur. That's how all these subjective rules end up being enforced... >:(

Ya its going to be a cluster &^%.     I thought I read somewhere, its only going to be enforced "in the box".  Outside the box, your ok.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#10 : March 19, 2013, 09:53:55 PM

That's why Trent will be broken down in four or five seasons. Little dude with big muscles and was never The Man. Plays in the cold against traditionally tough physical squads. And he tries to dish punishment. He is a warhorse. And with that, his life expectancy as a RB is going to be scrutinized.

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 19, 2013, 10:01:05 PM

Only rednecks believe this.

Lynch ain't makin' it.  :P

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#12 : March 19, 2013, 10:04:37 PM

Only rednecks believe this.

Lynch ain't makin' it.  :P

On his play only, probably not.

But being a member of the media may help him.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Hall of Fame CB Lem Barney offered up a fitting football epitaph for Ronde « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools