Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Revis / Grimes/ BPA « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#30 : March 19, 2013, 06:57:28 PM

We should  sign Grimes regardless. If the Jets ever get thier head out of thier ass we could still do the Revis deal also . If not , at least we have something.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

CaptainStagger

Hall of Famer
#31 : March 19, 2013, 07:17:49 PM

We should  sign Grimes regardless. If the Jets ever get thier head out of thier ass we could still do the Revis deal also . If not , at least we have something.

Exactly......land Grimes now, put pressure on Idzik....sit and wait.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#32 : March 19, 2013, 09:37:08 PM

Claiborne did fine opposite of Brandon Carr. Janoris Jenkins did fine opposite of Cortland Finnegan. All rookies will have growing pains, but that doesn't prevent them from contributing as starters.
Claiborne was a stud prospect coming out of college. THE corner.

Big difference between him and the guy the Bucs are going to be getting and it isn't in favor of the guy we pick IMO.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#33 : March 19, 2013, 09:54:25 PM

I don't see why the FO can't do all of these at the same time.

I don't think Dom will let go of the first, or any first for that matter, but regardless, grimes and BPA would be easy peesy.

I say do that anyway, no matter what happens with the revis trade. Bevis island would just be the huge cherry on top of a OK cake.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#34 : March 19, 2013, 09:57:03 PM

Rhodes and Trufant are actually better prospects than Moron Claiborne when you look the combine numbers. Both are better athletes , and thier film sure isnt bad either. It also is a plus that they arent half retarded like he was. Claiborne was hyped more simply because it was a weak corner class last year.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#35 : March 19, 2013, 10:01:30 PM

Rhodes and Trufant are actually better prospects than Moron Claiborne when you look the combine numbers. Both are better athletes , and thier film sure isnt bad either. It also is a plus that they arent half retarded like he was. Claiborne was hyped more simply because it was a weak corner class last year.

+1

I believe they have two or three potential "Claibornes" in the first two rounds.

And no... I don't mean they're dumb.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#36 : March 19, 2013, 10:05:34 PM

Claiborne looked solid. He played tough assignments and we'd be lucky to get that. Prattle away all you want, but that is fact. His coverage skills in the SEC were great. It looks like Claiborne is set to be a good NFL player.

Like I said, stud prospect.

chad1336

Starter

#37 : March 19, 2013, 10:20:20 PM

Claiborne looked solid. He played tough assignments and we'd be lucky to get that. Prattle away all you want, but that is fact. His coverage skills in the SEC were great. It looks like Claiborne is set to be a good NFL player.

Like I said, stud prospect.
One of the knocks on Claiborne, aside from being dumb, was who did he have to cover in the SEC at the time?  Now, I don't know if that was a valid criticism or not.  Still, I don't think last year's cornerback crop was too bad compared to this year's.  i think the three best coming out of that crop when all is said and done would be Janoris Jenkins, Casey Heyward, and possibly Claiborne and they're probably better than the top three in this year's class.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#38 : March 19, 2013, 10:24:27 PM

Like I said, stud prospect.@

It deffinately helps to be smart, or even average smart, but sometimes players can get past that.

In Claiborne's case, he certainly did that. If he has a learning disability, he's learned to deal with it, or is in a system that is easy enough to digest.

Congrats to him, because he was made mad fun of for awhile there.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#39 : March 20, 2013, 07:05:53 AM

Claiborne didn't do as well as some on here are trying to pretend . Teams tended to avoid Carr and pick on Claiborne at times.

"Cowboys rookie CB Morris Claiborne was flagged for five penalties in the Week 10 win over the Eagles.
Opponents are attacking Claiborne and avoiding Brandon Carr. The No. 6 overall pick has been thrown at 39 times this season, giving up 24 catches for 306 yards and four touchdowns"
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/49839263/

Claiborne - 5'11 , ran a 4.5 -   34 inch vertical - embarassed himself in intelligence

Xavier Rhodes - 6'1 , ran a 4.43 -  40.5 inch vertical - did not embarrass himself in intelligence

Desmond Trufant - 6'0 , ran a 4.38  - 37.5 inch vertical - did not embarass himself in intelligence

So.....besides the fact that some of you thought it was a great idea to reach for him last season , why is Moron Claiborne the better prospect again ?

: March 20, 2013, 07:15:39 AM Fire Mark Dummynik

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#40 : March 20, 2013, 07:29:54 AM

I would sign Grimes & Winfield to short cheap contracts like most guys are getting this year.
Then using the draft picks we saved go out and get Rhodes or Trufant plus a late pick guy to groom.
This way we would (hopefully) get 3 starting calibre corners for the price of Revis and we really need depth, we wouldn't have to rush along the rookies.
We don't need to over pay for the best at one spot on the depth chart we need to improve the entire depth chart to an NFL level.
We would still have picks left over to help fix the d line depth issues, TE, etc.

The more I think about getting Revis the more I hate it. No matter how great he might on the field he is but one player, we have to field 22 starters and have quality depth, he hinders that.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#41 : March 20, 2013, 09:30:37 AM

Superstars can overcome problems elsewhere. The problem with your approach Trojan is that it almost never works; it requires about four players to do well rather than one. Good on paper. Tough to do in reality.

In Verner We Trust

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#42 : March 20, 2013, 09:35:24 AM

"Cowboys rookie CB Morris Claiborne was flagged for five penalties in the Week 10 win over the Eagles.

NICK FOLES!

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#43 : March 20, 2013, 10:06:09 AM

Superstars can overcome problems elsewhere. The problem with your approach Trojan is that it almost never works; it requires about four players to do well rather than one. Good on paper. Tough to do in reality.
It's not just about 4 guys doing well, it's about guys coming in and improving their spot on the depth chart.
By getting a Grimes level guy who you can at least guess will be serviceable and it allows the guy who was #1 on the chart to drop down improving the depth. You have a better TEAM rather than a roster of a handful of " one percenters" and a whole bunch of scrubs.
There is a reason sayings like "one player does not make a team," "you are only as strong as your weakest link," "there is no I in team" are so well used & known.
Lets not act like Revis is a lock to be the preinjury Revis, if you look at all the examples of guys that came back fromhis injury and played at a high level none of them played corner BUT there is a list of corners who had it that didn't come back (you only have to look at Foxworthy in 2010/11).
Plus you miss the point about it not being about just those 4 guys, it's a team wide cap situation, I said it in another thread about 2014, that's just next year and we would be in real cap trouble.
Lets look on the bright side and say everything goes our way this season and Revis gets "just" $12 million per, Freeman earns an extension and gets $14 million and we then extend Williams for another $8 million, those are all real good contracts for us based on player demands and current league trends. That puts us at $78 million for just 7 players. Sure you can fudge the numbers but at some point that money will hit your books.
They say the cap is going to remain flat so lets just say it $125 million, that leaves us just $47 million to cover  the other 46 players.
It's not like the big money contracts are even old deals that really need reworking other than McCoys. The other 6 guys would be Revis, Freeman, Williams, Nicks, Jackson, Goldson. It's a potential nightmare.
You only have to look on the horizon for the Falcons who are in cap hell right now and still need to work something out for Ryan, get a pass rush, and DB help, similar things happening in Baltimore but at least they have something to show for their cap situations, they've at least made the playoffs a whole bunch (& the Ravens are champs), we haven't even made the playoffs in 5 seasons.
: March 20, 2013, 10:16:16 AM TBTrojan

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#44 : March 20, 2013, 10:26:49 AM

Justin Pawlowski ‏@CommishOnline 2m Charles Davis just said on @987TheFan that Brent Grimes' achilles injury is a way bigger concern than Revis' ACL injury. #Bucs

Very much agree with this...

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Revis / Grimes/ BPA « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools