Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Josh Freeman's Arm « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Naismith

Hall of Famer
: March 19, 2013, 01:59:51 PM

I just watched the last game of the season against Atlanta and noticed that on a deep throw to Vincent Jackson, Freeman seemed to put his all into it and couldn't get it far enough down the field. It was a long way off from this throw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1VogoHOrow

Does anyone think that there was an injury to his arm last season that never got reported? I can't find a video of it, I'm sure some of you remember the pass, but it definitely didn't look like the kind of throw a guy with a "cannon" for an arm would make.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 19, 2013, 02:04:35 PM

Holy crap the guy in that video looks more athletic than the guy we have been watching.. lol

Probably something to do with the offensive style, I'm sure.

Anyways, that is an interesting observation. I saved the last game of the season v Atl and will watch when I get home.

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#2 : March 19, 2013, 02:11:45 PM

I believe it's in the second quarter. You can fire up NFL Rewind and watch it as well.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 19, 2013, 02:14:22 PM

What quarter?

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 19, 2013, 02:17:31 PM

well it's the last game of the season, his arm was probably a bit tired by that point

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 19, 2013, 02:22:40 PM

First quarter with 2:19 left...

Vjax post route.

Freeman scrambles up and to the left of the LOS/Pocket.   Does not get his feet planted and shoulders aligned with the target (about 5 degrees left of vjax).   Still throws a catchable ball above the defender 40 yards.  Goes in and out of the hands of Vjax (with two defenders on him.)  PBU given to Samuel.

If that's the one you're talking about, it isn't his arm, its his stance.    Albeit he was getting pressure a defender in his face and a guy coming behind him.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 19, 2013, 02:30:33 PM

..also looks like there was a safety shading over/down and maybe Free was trying to drop it in, after cb and before safety.

On accuracy / form... I'd guess that it is difficult to change what comes natural to you, but improved accuracy is a nice benefit.

Would love not to hear about Freeman having poor form next year.

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

traew01

Pro Bowler

#7 : March 19, 2013, 02:30:58 PM

Most of Freeman's issues revolve around lazy mechanics - IMO.

When he is being deliberate and focused - especially late in games when he has to put a drive together - he is usually money. But early in games, when they are huddling up, walking up to the line of scrimmage, with no sense of urgency -- Freeman tends to get very lazy in his mechanics, he often does not step into throws, and he is generally very inaccurate.

I would love to see a study done of Freeman's overall stats and performance in the 1st quarter and 1st half - compared to the 2nd half - especially the 4th quarter.

Of course some of that has to do with the types of defenses he will see late in games. They tend to be less confusing, playing deep to prevent the deep throws.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#8 : March 19, 2013, 02:34:10 PM

I'm looking at that throw from K-State, he's on the move, his feet aren't planted and he really doesn't square up and he leads a WR over 60 yards in the air. I'm not a Quarterback Scientist and certainly don't know everything about mechanics, but the difference in the throws is startling to me.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#9 : March 19, 2013, 02:35:55 PM

I'm not sure his feet are quick enough to make that adjustment when he was rolling out...  he compensated for it with his arm quite well.

Did not have enough time to get properly set.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#10 : March 19, 2013, 02:36:31 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1VogoHOrow

vs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqMpobx57GU&feature=youtu.be

gbobucsfan

Pro Bowler
#11 : March 19, 2013, 02:43:13 PM

The 2 throws are noticeably different but I'm not going to worry until Free starts regularly underthrowing fly patterns. 

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#12 : March 19, 2013, 02:53:34 PM

A lot of issues with Freeman's game. Arm strength= not one of them.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
#13 : March 19, 2013, 03:04:55 PM

I'd say its probably more of a bad read/bad accuracy than a problem with his arm. The first one he's just letting it rip on fly route. The second one it looks like Vjax was coming inside, and Free threw it behind him. Maybe he was scared if the safety coming over the top.

Either way. That Freeman throw at Kstate makes your jaw drop. There's only a handful of guys in the nation that could make that throw - pressure, rolling to the weak side and throwing like that 60 yards in the air. Physically it's outstanding and impressive. Current Freeman doesn't do that anymore for some reason. Free needs to be on more rollouts and bootlegs.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#14 : March 19, 2013, 03:05:50 PM

I agree that arm strength isn't an issue. That's why I posted it, because arm strength seemed to be an issue on that throw. I'm curious if he might have had an arm injury that he didn't disclose since that should have been an easy pass for him.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Josh Freeman's Arm « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools