Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Josh Freeman's Arm « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#15 : March 19, 2013, 03:11:27 PM

Most of Freeman's issues revolve around lazy mechanics - IMO.

When he is being deliberate and focused - especially late in games when he has to put a drive together - he is usually money. But early in games, when they are huddling up, walking up to the line of scrimmage, with no sense of urgency -- Freeman tends to get very lazy in his mechanics, he often does not step into throws, and he is generally very inaccurate.

I would love to see a study done of Freeman's overall stats and performance in the 1st quarter and 1st half - compared to the 2nd half - especially the 4th quarter.

Of course some of that has to do with the types of defenses he will see late in games. They tend to be less confusing, playing deep to prevent the deep throws.

You can find those stats on NFL.com. You are right though, he QB rating is best in the 4th Quarter by a decent margin. I would also agree with your analysis. When he steps up into the pocket, which forces him to be moving forward and step into his throws, he is generally much more effective.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#16 : March 19, 2013, 03:13:00 PM

...There's only a handful of guys in the nation that could make that throw - pressure, rolling to the weak side and throwing like that 60 yards in the air. Physically it's outstanding and impressive. Current Freeman doesn't do that anymore for some reason. Free needs to be on more rollouts and bootlegs.

not going to get away with that in the NFL..

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
#17 : March 19, 2013, 03:18:08 PM

I don't necessarily want to see him chucking it around all willy nilly. Maybe I just want to see him on the move more. And more confidence. Nothing was more frustrating last year than watching him short-hop a 10 yard route.

I like Freeman and think his potential is huge still. But good god can he be frustrating.

As far as an injury - I never heard anything, never saw anything to make me think that.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#18 : March 19, 2013, 03:20:36 PM

I don't necessarily want to see him chucking it around all willy nilly. Maybe I just want to see him on the move more. And more confidence. Nothing was more frustrating last year than watching him short-hop a 10 yard route.

I like Freeman and think his potential is huge still. But good god can he be frustrating.

As far as an injury - I never heard anything, never saw anything to make me think that.

Watched his Highlight reel again. Some of the throws he made were simply amazing. Watch his low light reel and some of his throws were equally bad. I'm still on the Freeman bandwagon but we need to figure what he is. I don't think he is as inconsistent as he was all year.

- Everyone

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#19 : March 19, 2013, 04:06:15 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=Dc2Cf2HMaL0

We can all see why we were so excited about our young Mr. Josh Freeman. He shows all the talent in the world. The **CENSORED** storm that has been the Bucs since he was drafted undoubtedly can be blame for his slow to non-existent progression.

- Everyone

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#20 : March 19, 2013, 04:12:03 PM

Thank god he's on our team!

Smell a Joe Flacco type breakout coming on this year!

- Everyone

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#21 : March 19, 2013, 04:23:52 PM

Freeman's mechanics have been much worse last year when he was under pressure

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#22 : March 19, 2013, 04:28:56 PM

It's just one throw

Knucknbuc

Pro Bowler

#23 : March 19, 2013, 04:31:16 PM

Even in that freeman can't be touched video his mechanics wasn't that great. The difference between that year and every year since he improvised so much more and thats what made him special. He seemed to do that  a little bit more last year but he's so tough to defend if he ever gets back to that. Hopefully schiano loosens the grip a little bit and freeman starts to take off more well see what we really have.

gone

Hall of Famer
#24 : March 19, 2013, 04:38:14 PM

In 2011 a lot of people -- including me -- used the "nagging injury" hypothesis as an excuse for his awful play.  Nice to see it finally rears it's head again.  Just waiting for the "second thrower" theory to get popular now.  Or maybe NASA faked the footage of the last six games this year.

People need to just accept that the issue with Freeman is Freeman.

Or is it the Illuminati?

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#25 : March 19, 2013, 04:49:41 PM

My question has nothing to do with quality of play. I'm asking about one throw in one game and comparing it to a previous throw. There's a massive difference in distance. It appears like it required a lot more effort to throw the ball a shorter distance in the second one. I'm just trying to figure out what the cause of that could be since arm strength was never an issue for Freeman.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

gone

Hall of Famer
#26 : March 19, 2013, 05:26:48 PM

My question has nothing to do with quality of play. I'm asking about one throw in one game and comparing it to a previous throw. There's a massive difference in distance. It appears like it required a lot more effort to throw the ball a shorter distance in the second one. I'm just trying to figure out what the cause of that could be since arm strength was never an issue for Freeman.

As someone pointed out it was his footwork in all likelihood.  But maybe it was an alien tractor beam.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#27 : March 19, 2013, 05:44:04 PM

I think you're talking about the first Atlanta game, and if I remember correctly they went downfield like 4 times in a row that series. He threw a pick downfield that was called back because of a penalty, and then they went downfield the next 3 plays and couldn't convert if I remember correctly.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#28 : March 19, 2013, 05:47:33 PM

As someone pointed out it was his footwork in all likelihood.  But maybe it was an alien tractor beam.

Yeah, it's probably footwork, even though the one he threw 60 yards in the air, his feet weren't on the ground and in the one he could barely get over 40 yards, his feet planted before he threw it.

I think you're talking about the first Atlanta game, and if I remember correctly they went downfield like 4 times in a row that series. He threw a pick downfield that was called back because of a penalty, and then they went downfield the next 3 plays and couldn't convert if I remember correctly.

Definitely the second game. I included the link on the previous page. I only know and brought it up because I happened to watch the second Falcons game earlier today.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

cgnumber7

Starter

#29 : March 19, 2013, 06:00:00 PM

Is it sad that even though I knew it was a highlight reel, I still tensed up in fear every time free released the ball hoping that it wouldn't be intercepted ?
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Josh Freeman's Arm « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools