Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 5 Most Overhyped Players In The 2013 NFL Draft.....Agree or Disagree? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : March 20, 2013, 12:53:31 AM »

5 Most Overhyped Players In The 2013 NFL Draft

By Thomas Conroy

March 19, 2013 10:54 am

The job of an NFL scout is to slice and dice the video tape on every college football player eligible for this April’s draft. Springtime is their regular season, as scouts must look for traits and tendencies from collegiate stars that will help project their ability to play at the next level. But after witnessing the combine and pro day workouts, draftniks will still overhype certain players as being the “next big star” in the NFL.

With that in mind, here are five most overhyped players in the NFL draft:

Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse 
1 of 5

It seems like a foregone conclusion that the Buffalo Bills will draft quarterback Ryan Nassib in the first-round of next month’s NFL draft. The expected reunion with his former collegiate coach Doug Marrone could be a major mistake.

Bill fans will not be getting a game-changer, but a game-manager at the quarterback position. Nassib needs an effective running game to throw the football, as he lacks the arm strength needed to challenge a defense deep. Also, Nassib has trouble staying calm under duress pressure in the pocket, and is prone to turn the ball over.

Ezekiel Ansah, DE, Brigham Young
2 of 5

Defensive end Ezekiel Ansah has often been compared to Jason Pierre-Paul, as a player with untapped potential due to the lack of playing time in organized football. One big problem with this analogy is Ansah isn’t the pass rusher that Pierre-Paul was heading into the NFL.

Ansah has trouble shedding a pass blocker when rushing the quarterback. Too many times, an offensive linemen will ride him away from the pocket on obvious passing downs

Matt Barkley, QB, USC
3 of 5

What a difference a year makes for quarterback Matt Barkley, who was the hottest commodity in the draft following the conclusion of his junior season. Now, he’s a prospect that is rapidly falling on everyone’s draft board.

Barkley is still the same quarterback who can make smart decisions with the football because he can read complicated defenses. His shortcomings are still same, as he isn’t fast enough to elude oncoming pass rushers and his arm still isn’t strong enough to stretch a defense. Debates still rage inside draft war rooms on whether Barkley can lead a team to a Super Bowl title.

Don’t believe the hype; Barkley will excel in the right situation.

Manti Te’o, LB, Notre Dame
4 of 5

Sorry Notre Dame fans, but linebacker Manti Te’o just isn’t a first-round draft choice. No, it has nothing to do with his girlfriend hoax scandal, but more to do with his inability to fight through blocks in the BCS Championship game against Alabama.

The only positive that keeps him in the conversation is that Te’o is a better football player than an athlete, as he excels in zone pass coverage schemes. Te’o hopes NFL teams will let the game tapes override his poor combine workout when deciding his pro future

Barkevious Mingo, DE/LB, LSU
5 of 5

If a NFL team is looking for someone that looks good running in a 40-yard dash or shedding a tackle dummy, then Barkevious Mingo is your man. Unfortunately, how you play in games will determine your true draft value, and too often, Mingo had disappeared in games (recorded only 4.5 sacks) last season. He is a scout’s nightmare, as Mingo is considered a tweener.

He is undersized for the defensive end position in a 4-3 alignment and doesn’t have the pass defending skills to play the outside linebacker position in a 3-4 defense. Usually, tweeners have a short stay in the NFL if they cannot adapt quickly

http://www.footballnation.com/content/5-most-overhyped-players-the-2013-nfl-draft/21893/

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #1 : March 20, 2013, 02:34:04 AM »

Agree most of those are overhyped, but I don't think Ziggy is.  He has the measurables, 6-5  270lbs.

I have seen mocks with him going as high as #2.overall.

I guess him not knowing what a football even looked like,  until 2010 could scare some teams off.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #2 : March 20, 2013, 06:49:14 AM »

Agree about Mingo.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #3 : March 20, 2013, 08:04:15 AM »

Agree on everyone except Ansah ....yes he is raw , but in 2 years or so I think he will be an absolute monster.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

XFactor

Hall of Famer

« #4 : March 20, 2013, 08:43:35 AM »

Mingo and Teo are overhyped but I wouldn't be surprised if both are really good pros.

yungbull

Starter
« #5 : March 20, 2013, 10:29:53 AM »

Agree most of those are overhyped, but I don't think Ziggy is.  He has the measurables, 6-5  270lbs.

I guess him not knowing what a football even looked like,  until 2010 could scare some teams off.

Agreed.  JPP started playing football in high school.  So this article points out what everybody already knows about Ansah; He lacks pass rushing moves. But with the work ethic he's shown to get better since 2010 along with the tenacity and versatility he brings, this guy is definitely not overrated.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
« #6 : March 20, 2013, 11:02:48 AM »

No way do the Bills take Nassib in the first. They state he needs a good run game and he has that and beyond in Buffalo. I also wouldn't say he is prove to turnovers, he never threw more than 10 ints in a season. He has the arm strength, but his deep throw accuracy is bad. I think Ziggy is overhyped because of where they have him going. They guy has all the football talent in the world, but he lacks the instincts a normal NFL player should have and that may affect him come day 1.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #7 : March 20, 2013, 11:06:30 AM »

I don't see the Bills taking Nassib in the first.  Maybe the 2nd or 3rd if they don't draft Geno in the first. 

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #8 : March 20, 2013, 12:41:41 PM »

Mingo and Teo are overhyped but I wouldn't be surprised if both are really good pros.

Teo a good pro?  I guess its possible, but hopefully the Bucs don't take the risk. The only one still on his bandwagon seems to be Gruden.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
« #9 : March 20, 2013, 01:44:27 PM »

Ya Ansah is overhyped.  I production all potential and he's projected top 7

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

« #10 : March 20, 2013, 01:53:46 PM »

The kid has played 8 games, 1 year total. This kid has Maybin written all over him. Pass.

I agree with the entire list.

XFactor

Hall of Famer

« #11 : March 20, 2013, 02:19:12 PM »

Teo a good pro?  I guess its possible, but hopefully the Bucs don't take the risk. The only one still on his bandwagon seems to be Gruden.

Not trying to start a tired Teo debate or saying he's the next  Ray Lewis but it wouldn't surprise me that he is a good pro, a second tier guy like Curtis Lofton. He had one bad game, which Alabama **CENSORED** slapped the whole ND defense, wouldn't discount his whole season because of one game. The fact that Gruden is still on his bandwagon does scare me a little though.
« : March 20, 2013, 02:21:23 PM XFactor »

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #12 : March 20, 2013, 09:51:43 PM »

Not trying to start a tired Teo debate or saying he's the next  Ray Lewis but it wouldn't surprise me that he is a good pro, a second tier guy like Curtis Lofton. He had one bad game, which Alabama **CENSORED** slapped the whole ND defense, wouldn't discount his whole season because of one game. The fact that Gruden is still on his bandwagon does scare me a little though.

Well, the way I look at it,  that "one bad game" speaks volumes.  It wasn't against Cupcake U....it was against a great team.  So that is exactly what he will see every week in the Pros.  Every week he will be facing top notch competition. 

XFactor

Hall of Famer

« #13 : March 20, 2013, 11:00:07 PM »

Well, the way I look at it,  that "one bad game" speaks volumes.  It wasn't against Cupcake U....it was against a great team.  So that is exactly what he will see every week in the Pros.  Every week he will be facing top notch competition.

That's BS, no disrespect intended. ND had a top ten strength of schedule and finished with a top ten defense. Missouri got stomped by quite a few SEC  teams this year you think Sheldon Richardson is a bust also? Alabama made a lot of good players look bad when they played them, look at Teo's complete season not just one game.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
« #14 : March 20, 2013, 11:09:06 PM »

Dion Jordan. Great athlete, but I don't see a great pass rusher. Mingo is the better player.

Te'o is better than Kuechly.

Ziggy doesn't belong anywhere near this list. Guy is going to be a beast.
« : March 20, 2013, 11:11:04 PM BucsBay »
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 5 Most Overhyped Players In The 2013 NFL Draft.....Agree or Disagree? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools