Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 5 guys you think will be stars and five you think will be busts - 2013 edition « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

awitron

Hall of Famer

: March 20, 2013, 06:06:44 PM

Go out on a limb!

Stars
1. Jamar Taylor, CB Boise St.
- Best corner in the draft not named Dee Milliner and I have a hard time saying Milliner is better. Yeah, I said it. Can press, cover, run, has ball skills, can blitz, flat out playmaker and he's got prototype size.

2. Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
- I don't just think he is the best receiver in this draft, I'd say he is the best offensive player in this draft. I wouldn't be shocked in the least bit if the Eagles at 4 take him or move down a couple spots for him, Chip Kelly had a similar player at Oregon named DeAnthony Thomas and not many are better at showcasing individual talent than Chip Kelly.

3. Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M
- His combine sucked, I don't care. He is underdeveloped physically(he will play a snap in the NFL before he can legally drink in this country) and still played at an elite level in the SEC. He is only going to improve in the NFL and it is starting to look like some lucky team is going to get him in the bottom half of the 1st round.

4. Johnathon Franklin, RB, UCLA
- Carried an average UCLA team much more than anyone could have expected, he is a 3 down player who fits any offense. Immediate contributor to whatever team takes him, won't take him long before he starts wherever he ends up.

5. Logan Ryan, CB, Rutgers
- I'd be shocked if he isn't our 2nd round pick, I expect Schiano to beg for a trade up to get him. Played with little help on the outside at Rutgers, physical against the run and would fit in really well in any defense. Good size too, 40 time was average at the combine, I like that because if he ran 4.3 or 4.4 we would have to take him at 13 to get him.

Busts
1. Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU
Does anyone really think he can play at the next level? If you are going to be 250 pounds, you better have a great first step, which he doesn't. If he can't get an outside rush, he is irrelevant and the age one dimensional outside rushers is diminishing with the way NFL offenses are designed. 

2. Darius Slay, CB, Miss St
- Oh hell no. No. NOOOOOOOOOOOO. Classic example of a player who's stock is based on what he ran at the combine. Johnathon Banks pre-combine was without question a higher regarded player because people only had tape in mind. Slay can run and cover, but every time a screen or an outside run is in his direction, you can bet on more yardage being given up. A coward in the open field and the offenses are all about getting skill players the ball in space.

3. Matt Barkley, QB, USC
-  People want to say hes not as good as Sanchez, Leinart, or Palmer... John David Booty was in every way imaginable a better prospect. Barkley physically isn't even on the level of former 2nd round picks Andy Dalton who is more agile or Jimmy Clauson who is bigger with a stronger arm.

4. Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
- I'm not as high as people are on him. Dre Kirkpatrick last year was a better player who went in the teens, if Milliner doesn't run 4.3 at the combine he would be there too. What scares me the most is SEC QBs were not afraid to throw at Milliner, he led the SEC in passes defensed but that is a red flag, NFL QBs are significantly more accurate than the typical spread option passer and any team that takes Milliner is going to expect him to hold his own on an island.

5. Ziggy Ansah, DE, BYU
- I get the physical tools but did anyone actually watch him play? Indifference maker, they move him around because BYU is trying to use him to create matchups but nothing comes of it. JPP is not the best comparison, I'd say Ansah is more like Vernon Gholston.

These are my concerns about Schiano. He thinks hes the **CENSORED**, when really he is someone who couldn\'t win the Big East once in 10 years.

I said it before and I\'ll say it again, Josh Freeman is the only thing that can save this franchise from this dude. If he doesn\'t adjust his style AND Freeman cant win enough, we\'re going to be wondering who the next coach is going to be in 2 years.

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 20, 2013, 06:29:23 PM

I'll play...

Stars - Barkevious Mingo OLB, Justin Hunter WR, DeAndre Hopkins WR, Bjoern Werner DE, Datone Jones DE

Busts - Alec Ogletree LB, Kenny Vaccaro S, Luke Joekel OT, Damontre Moore DE, Eddie Lacy RB

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#2 : March 20, 2013, 06:33:30 PM

this is interesting.  i also wonder about jamar taylor...ive heard great things of him, but also heard he is toast.  definitely all over the board.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 20, 2013, 06:39:27 PM

Stars

1. Geno Smith. If he was in the draft before Luck and RGIII people would think he was a much better prospecf. As it is now, he looks bad just because you had such rare prospects last year. I think Smith will be good.
2. Star Lotuleiei - His hear is supposed to be AOK and there's really nothing about his game I don't like.
3. Desmond Trufant - Everything I've seen of this guy says player.
4. Deandre Hopkins - Hes doesn't measure elite but he has elite wide reciever skills - hands, routes and body control. He's Reggie Wayne-esque.
5. Kawann Short - Quality player.

Busts:
1. Damontre Moore - Sorry, disagree guy doesn't have an elite burst and didn't on film either.
2. Cordarelle Patterson - He's like the Anti-Hopkins: all measurables no real WR skills.
3. Barkevious Mingo - lack of production + failure rate of LSU front 7 players
4. Johnathan Hankins - Big and slow in everything. A slug of a player.
5. Johnathan Banks - Banks is a long strider who showed slow in change of direction and long speed.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 20, 2013, 09:43:47 PM

Go out on a limb!

Stars
1. Jamar Taylor, CB Boise St.
- Best corner in the draft not named Dee Milliner and I have a hard time saying Milliner is better. Yeah, I said it. Can press, cover, run, has ball skills, can blitz, flat out playmaker and he's got prototype size.

2. Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
- I don't just think he is the best receiver in this draft, I'd say he is the best offensive player in this draft. I wouldn't be shocked in the least bit if the Eagles at 4 take him or move down a couple spots for him, Chip Kelly had a similar player at Oregon named DeAnthony Thomas and not many are better at showcasing individual talent than Chip Kelly.

3. Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M
- His combine sucked, I don't care. He is underdeveloped physically(he will play a snap in the NFL before he can legally drink in this country) and still played at an elite level in the SEC. He is only going to improve in the NFL and it is starting to look like some lucky team is going to get him in the bottom half of the 1st round.

4. Johnathon Franklin, RB, UCLA
- Carried an average UCLA team much more than anyone could have expected, he is a 3 down player who fits any offense. Immediate contributor to whatever team takes him, won't take him long before he starts wherever he ends up.

5. Logan Ryan, CB, Rutgers
- I'd be shocked if he isn't our 2nd round pick, I expect Schiano to beg for a trade up to get him. Played with little help on the outside at Rutgers, physical against the run and would fit in really well in any defense. Good size too, 40 time was average at the combine, I like that because if he ran 4.3 or 4.4 we would have to take him at 13 to get him.

Busts
1. Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU
Does anyone really think he can play at the next level? If you are going to be 250 pounds, you better have a great first step, which he doesn't. If he can't get an outside rush, he is irrelevant and the age one dimensional outside rushers is diminishing with the way NFL offenses are designed. 

2. Darius Slay, CB, Miss St
- Oh hell no. No. NOOOOOOOOOOOO. Classic example of a player who's stock is based on what he ran at the combine. Johnathon Banks pre-combine was without question a higher regarded player because people only had tape in mind. Slay can run and cover, but every time a screen or an outside run is in his direction, you can bet on more yardage being given up. A coward in the open field and the offenses are all about getting skill players the ball in space.

3. Matt Barkley, QB, USC
-  People want to say hes not as good as Sanchez, Leinart, or Palmer... John David Booty was in every way imaginable a better prospect. Barkley physically isn't even on the level of former 2nd round picks Andy Dalton who is more agile or Jimmy Clauson who is bigger with a stronger arm.

4. Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
- I'm not as high as people are on him. Dre Kirkpatrick last year was a better player who went in the teens, if Milliner doesn't run 4.3 at the combine he would be there too. What scares me the most is SEC QBs were not afraid to throw at Milliner, he led the SEC in passes defensed but that is a red flag, NFL QBs are significantly more accurate than the typical spread option passer and any team that takes Milliner is going to expect him to hold his own on an island.

5. Ziggy Ansah, DE, BYU
- I get the physical tools but did anyone actually watch him play? Indifference maker, they move him around because BYU is trying to use him to create matchups but nothing comes of it. JPP is not the best comparison, I'd say Ansah is more like Vernon Gholston.

Surprised you don't like Milliner.  Dude has worked his way up to the #2 or #3 spot in the first round of late. He doesn't really blow you away with one thing.  But he does everything well. I like him, but the way he is climbing the board, a trade up is not looking good right now. Perhaps if he slipped to #10 or so, Dom could make a move on him.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 20, 2013, 09:59:06 PM

(not so obvious)Stars:

Cornellius Carradine
Stedman Bailey
Alec Ogletree
Arthur Brown
Johnthan Banks

Busts:

Kenny Vaccaro
Johnathan Hankins
Margus Hunt
Cordarrelle Patterson
Sam Montgomery

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 20, 2013, 10:02:29 PM

(not so obvious)Stars:

Cornellius Carradine
Stedman Bailey
Alec Ogletree
Arthur Brown
Johnthan Banks

Busts:

Kenny Vaccaro
Johnathan Hankins
Margus Hunt
Cordarrelle Patterson
Sam Montgomery

The Cowgirls seem to be in love with Vaccaro.  I don't see the big deal with him.  Thankfully, the Bucs are not in the market for a safety now.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

bucsquad

Pro Bowler

#7 : March 20, 2013, 10:19:55 PM

Stars:
Dion Jordan
Cordarrelle Patterson
Jordan Poyer
Xavier Rhodes
DJ Swearinger

Busts:
Jonathan Banks
Kenny Vaccaro
John Jenkins
Sam Montgomery
Alec Ogletree

Should be fun to look back at this.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#8 : March 20, 2013, 10:24:12 PM

(not so obvious)Stars:

Cornellius Carradine
Stedman Bailey
Alec Ogletree
Arthur Brown
Johnthan Banks

Busts:

Kenny Vaccaro
Johnathan Hankins
Margus Hunt
Cordarrelle Patterson
Sam Montgomery

The Cowgirls seem to be in love with Vaccaro.  I don't see the big deal with him.  Thankfully, the Bucs are not in the market for a safety now.

Yup. ESPN commentators here in Austin are constantly going over scenarios in which Vaccaro could fall to them. I hope he does. Just another wasted 1st rounder by them. A guy with Vaccaro's talent could be had in the 2nd or 3rd in Tony Jefferson/etc. I said before...an unsung good thing about the signing of Goldson is that we won't be wasting another pick on a safety in the 1st round. It's truly hilarious that Dallas only has cap space in the 5 digits. They tagged a 3-4 backer to be their DE in Anthony Spencer and will pay him double what they could have paid for a natural Tampa 2 DE in Dwight Freeney. JJ is so shortsighted as he continues to run that franchise into the ground.

wolfet

Pro Bowler
#9 : March 20, 2013, 10:26:06 PM

Agree completely on M Hunt.  He was not a great player in college and that was in CUSA.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#10 : March 20, 2013, 10:28:01 PM

(not so obvious)Stars:

Cornellius Carradine
Stedman Bailey
Alec Ogletree
Arthur Brown
Johnthan Banks

Busts:

Kenny Vaccaro
Johnathan Hankins
Margus Hunt
Cordarrelle Patterson
Sam Montgomery

Yup. ESPN commentators here in Austin are constantly going over scenarios in which Vaccaro could fall to them. I hope he does. Just another wasted 1st rounder by them. A guy with Vaccaro's talent could be had in the 2nd or 3rd in Tony Jefferson/etc. I said before...an unsung good thing about the signing of Goldson is that we won't be wasting another pick on a safety in the 1st round. It's truly hilarious that Dallas only has cap space in the 5 digits. They tagged a 3-4 backer to be their DE in Anthony Spencer and will pay him double what they could have paid for a natural Tampa 2 DE in Dwight Freeney. JJ is so shortsighted as he continues to run that franchise into the ground.

And....If I remember correctly, don't they need to resign Romo?
: March 20, 2013, 10:37:06 PM The Anti-Java

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 20, 2013, 10:31:33 PM

Franklin and  Taylor are interesting guys.

Moore and Barkley look to be long term backups. 

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#12 : March 20, 2013, 10:32:06 PM

stars:

Werner
Ertz
Tavron Austin
Trufant
Dion Jordan

Busts

Geno Smith
Ryan Nassib
Manti T'eo (is that really a bust?)
Star
Ansah

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 20, 2013, 11:03:07 PM

(not so obvious)Stars:

Cornellius Carradine
Stedman Bailey
Alec Ogletree
Arthur Brown
Johnthan Banks

Busts:

Kenny Vaccaro
Johnathan Hankins
Margus Hunt
Cordarrelle Patterson
Sam Montgomery

They are in the same conundrum we are in....they don't really know if they want to...or not.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 20, 2013, 11:26:11 PM

(not so obvious)Stars:

Cornellius Carradine
Stedman Bailey
Alec Ogletree
Arthur Brown
Johnthan Banks

Busts:

Kenny Vaccaro
Johnathan Hankins
Margus Hunt
Cordarrelle Patterson
Sam Montgomery

They are in the same conundrum we are in....they don't really know if they want to...or not.

I think Jerry is trying to create cap room by re-doing Romo's deal.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 5 guys you think will be stars and five you think will be busts - 2013 edition « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools