Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 5 guys you think will be stars and five you think will be busts - 2013 edition « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#30 : March 21, 2013, 12:12:47 PM

Bucs are interested in DE Mike Catapano

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#31 : March 21, 2013, 12:15:20 PM

out on a limb.. hmm..

Stars
-Geno Smith
-Tank Carradine
-Robert Woods
-David Amerson (as a S)
-Eric Reid

Busts
-Kenny Vaccaro
-Sam Montgomery
-Matt Barkley
-Sheldon Richardson
-Dion Jordan

Madman

Hall of Famer
#32 : March 21, 2013, 12:17:41 PM

This anti-Te'O stuff is overblown.

Te'O will be an excellent LB'er. Very similar measureables to Lofa Tatupu. The guy can play football.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#33 : March 21, 2013, 01:01:21 PM

Based on what I've seen on TV, read and the way I view it. Would rather be different and wrong then the same and right. Its about conviction. And, I personally believe in my five stars and my five bust. Also most are just throwing out first rounders or players who've been discussed as potential first at one point or another as stars.

It's not meant as a dig, I just thought it was interesting. I know your take on Bray, why so down on Eifert?

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#34 : March 21, 2013, 01:08:54 PM

He reminds so me of Maurice Stovall huge numbers for the Irish - but not much once in the NFL. Eifert doesn't show speed in his game on film, but ran a solid forty in 4.68 seconds, but lacks lateral explosion in and out of his cuts. And, will find it hard to operate in the NFL as he is going against bigger and stronger players. Doesn't offer much in the way of in-line blocking and is not scheme deserve. Of course in my opinion.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#35 : March 21, 2013, 01:13:27 PM

He reminds so me of Maurice Stovall huge numbers for the Irish - but not much once in the NFL. Eifert doesn't show speed in his game on film, but ran a solid forty in 4.68 seconds, but lacks lateral explosion in and out of his cuts. And, will find it hard to operate in the NFL as he is going against bigger and stronger players. Doesn't offer much in the way of in-line blocking and is not scheme deserve. Of course in my opinion.

I definitely agree with you on the last two points.

Interesting comparison to Mo Sto - better hands though. I'll have to think about him some more.

awitron

Hall of Famer

#36 : March 21, 2013, 01:55:41 PM

To those who think Geno Smith will be a bust... why?

Yes, the 2nd half of last year left a lot to be desired but he is a QB coach's dream, he has got every single physical trait you could want a modern QB to have.

These are my concerns about Schiano. He thinks hes the **CENSORED**, when really he is someone who couldn\'t win the Big East once in 10 years.

I said it before and I\'ll say it again, Josh Freeman is the only thing that can save this franchise from this dude. If he doesn\'t adjust his style AND Freeman cant win enough, we\'re going to be wondering who the next coach is going to be in 2 years.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#37 : March 21, 2013, 04:17:09 PM

Thanks Jdub. You might want to check the insider forum for more on Catapano.....

Just read it your thread in PI. That is awesome! I had know idea we were legitimately interested. Most people laugh and say "Princeton?" but I love that guy. Think he could be a great player. Most of the ranking sites still have him as a 7th round prospect, UDFA, or not even listed....but I think he's off the board no later than the 5th round, maybe even 4th.

PewterG@tor

Starter
#38 : March 21, 2013, 04:30:01 PM

To those who think Geno Smith will be a bust... why?

Yes, the 2nd half of last year left a lot to be desired but he is a QB coach's dream, he has got every single physical trait you could want a modern QB to have.

I have to agree with that assessment.  I was looking at his numbers and man, are they impressive.  He has done exactly what you'd want a college QB to show as far as progressing from year to year.  VERY low INTs over his career.  High completion percentage, high yardage total, high TD totals as well.  Numbers improved every single season without any of the throwaway wtf? seasons.  A very solid top 5 pick in just about any draft.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#39 : March 21, 2013, 04:35:05 PM

I think Geno Smith will be a bust because he lacks the mental aptitude and leadership to be a franchise QB in the NFL. I don't see a confident alpha dog that can clearly communicate his thoughts and take charge of a team. I don't think he has the maturity and people skills needed. It's not all about atheltic ability with NFL quarterbacks. If he can't deal with negativity in the media, locker room drama, team mate clashes, and hard nosed, no nonsense coaches...this league will chew him up and spit him out.

People want to compare him to RG3, but I think he is closer to Josh Johnson.
: March 21, 2013, 04:41:01 PM JDouble

PewterG@tor

Starter
#40 : March 21, 2013, 05:04:31 PM

I think Geno Smith will be a bust because he lacks the mental aptitude and leadership to be a franchise QB in the NFL. I don't see a confident alpha dog that can clearly communicate his thoughts and take charge of a team. I don't think he has the maturity and people skills needed. It's not all about atheltic ability with NFL quarterbacks. If he can't deal with negativity in the media, locker room drama, team mate clashes, and hard nosed, no nonsense coaches...this league will chew him up and spit him out.

Well said.  That would explain why he isn't more sought after

awitron

Hall of Famer

#41 : March 21, 2013, 06:24:09 PM

I've read absolutely nothing to support what you say, but I've read many things that go against what you are saying.

People always do the racial comparison. RG3 is a runner capable of throwing. Geno is a passer capable of running.

Best comparison I can think of for Geno is Jay Cutler.

These are my concerns about Schiano. He thinks hes the **CENSORED**, when really he is someone who couldn\'t win the Big East once in 10 years.

I said it before and I\'ll say it again, Josh Freeman is the only thing that can save this franchise from this dude. If he doesn\'t adjust his style AND Freeman cant win enough, we\'re going to be wondering who the next coach is going to be in 2 years.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#42 : March 21, 2013, 06:37:58 PM

Geno Smith = Cutler....is actually a pretty close comparison.

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#43 : March 22, 2013, 08:36:21 PM

Stars
LB Aurthur Brown
DE Mike Catapano
QB Tyler Bray
CB Will Davis
TE Jake Stoneburner

Bust
TE Tyler Eifert
DE Damontre Moore
LB Manti Te'o
QB Geno Smith
S Kenny Varraco

Yucc, you are really going out on a limb with Bray. Best arm in the class. I am a huge fan. Just don't have the nugs to label him a upcoming star.

awitron

Hall of Famer

#44 : March 22, 2013, 08:53:14 PM

Stars
LB Aurthur Brown
DE Mike Catapano
QB Tyler Bray
CB Will Davis
TE Jake Stoneburner

Bust
TE Tyler Eifert
DE Damontre Moore
LB Manti Te'o
QB Geno Smith
S Kenny Varraco

Yucc, you are really going out on a limb with Bray. Best arm in the class. I am a huge fan. Just don't have the nugs to label him a upcoming star.

Bray is one of these guys where it depends where he goes. He is basically the same prospect as Brock Osweiler was a year ago.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 5 guys you think will be stars and five you think will be busts - 2013 edition « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools