Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: GLAZER TELLS MEDIA, LET'S PLAY BETTER DEFENSE AND TAKE PRESURE OFF FREEMAN « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#30 : March 20, 2013, 09:33:30 PM

I'm not saying the defense didn't suck nor am I saying to get rid of freeman. BUT five years is enough for me.

You just don't find 4000 yard passers every day of the week. I'm no Freeman fan but he's better than most in the NFL.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#31 : March 20, 2013, 09:48:35 PM

Translation, Josh isn't a franchise QB who can carry a team.
his inability to carry his team to wins singlehandedly is well documented

When your QB throws 17 TDs and 3 INTs in an 8 game stretch and you only go 4-4....

there's a problem and it aint the QB.
and the other 8 games?

And his completion percentage?
Converting 3rd downs?

Hayseed

Hall of Famer

#32 : March 20, 2013, 09:52:38 PM

Mike McCarthy said the Green Bay O-line must play better this season. Translation: Rogers is not a franchise QB that can carry a team.

They Call Me El Jefe, El Primo De Los Matadors,
The Master Of The Metaphor, A Chaw Chewin\' Troubadour

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#33 : March 20, 2013, 10:05:16 PM

I'm not saying the defense didn't suck nor am I saying to get rid of freeman. BUT five years is enough for me.

You just don't find 4000 yard passers every day of the week. I'm no Freeman fan but he's better than most in the NFL.

Ten people in 2009, 7 in 2010, 10 in 2011, and 11 last year.  Some of the more famous 4000 yd passers? Jon Kitna, Steve Buerlein, Brad Johnson, Elvis Grbac, Don Majkowski, Jay Shroeder.   A deeper look puts more than half of all the qbs throwing for more than 3500 yards.  4000 isn't that big of a deal dude.  Putting it all in perspective now is it?

big_JLB

Starter

#34 : March 20, 2013, 11:38:13 PM

Ten people in 2009, 7 in 2010, 10 in 2011, and 11 last year.  Some of the more famous 4000 yd passers? Jon Kitna, Steve Buerlein, Brad Johnson, Elvis Grbac, Don Majkowski, Jay Shroeder.   A deeper look puts more than half of all the qbs throwing for more than 3500 yards.  4000 isn't that big of a deal dude.  Putting it all in perspective now is it?

try to imagine yourself a fan of one of the 22 teams in 2009, 25 teams in 2010, 22 teams in 2011 or 21 teams last year that DIDN'T have a 4000+ yard passer. one can only imagine how terribly you would piss and moan if you were in those shoes
: March 20, 2013, 11:40:37 PM big_JLB

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#35 : March 21, 2013, 12:37:03 AM

Yards per season is a pretty meaningless stat. Freeman has impressive TD numbers in his 2 good seasons, and good YPA though. If we got rid of Freeman, it really could be a while before we have a QB throw for 25+ TDs again.

I would consider 2004 to be the start of the pass heavy era when illegal contact started to get called more often.

Here's how many times a few teams have achieved 25+ TDs from a single QB in that time.

Panthers 1
Redskins 0
Eagles 1
Falcons 3 (all in the past 3 years)
Lions 1
Vikings 2
Bears 1
49ers 0
Rams 0
Cardinals 3 (all Kurt Warner)
Chiefs 2
Jets 1
Raiders 0
Dolphins 0
Titans 0
Jaguars 0
Ravens 1
Browns 1

It's an arbitrary amount, there were a couple of teams who had QBs with 23/24 TDs, and it's almost as impressive, but you have to cut it off somewhere for a comparison and 25+ is just a good amount.

Getting 25+ TDs in a season can happen by fluke (Mark Sanchez and Derek Anderson), but to do it twice is pretty impressive. If we got a guy like Tavon Austin, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Freeman had 35 TDs next year, with him being in a contract year and all. A lot of people can throw for yards, and some schemes inflate yards. No scheme inflates TDs though, and the numbers haven't increased that much in the new era.

That's why I'm very reluctant to give up on Freeman. There's just way too many crappy QBs out there. Good QBs usually take a big leap around this time. If Freeman improves, then we're looking at a guy who can put up 30 TDs a year.
: March 21, 2013, 12:41:36 AM lyronmewis

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#36 : March 21, 2013, 12:49:36 AM

The guy had a 54% completion last year.  That sucks out loud.  He has this year to prove himself.  54% probably means you aren't converting a lot of third downs.  He had a great streak last year that skewed his numbers. 17 qbs threw for 3500+ last year.  Big deal.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#37 : March 21, 2013, 07:08:09 AM

This is his year or he's gone.

Wouldn't be the first time the franchise mistakenly discarded a QB... or the second... or the third...or the fourth...

Huh?  You should be in the front office making decisions.
He's obviously referring to Doug Williams, Steve Young, and Vinny Testaverde.
: March 21, 2013, 07:42:39 AM Feel Real Good

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#38 : March 21, 2013, 08:41:41 AM

The guy had a 54% completion last year.  That sucks out loud.  He has this year to prove himself.  54% probably means you aren't converting a lot of third downs.  He had a great streak last year that skewed his numbers. 17 qbs threw for 3500+ last year.  Big deal.
Freeman threw the third most passes that traveled at least 20 yards in the air in the entire NFL last year. The player who threw the most completed 54.1% of his total passes, the player with the second most completed 59.7%, and the player with the fourth most completed 59.8%. As I'm sure you know Freeman has had two different seasons where he completed more than 60% of his passes, but Schiano wants him to throw it deep, and when you throw it deep, you don't throw for as high a %.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#39 : March 21, 2013, 08:56:15 AM

10 of his interceptions were in 3 games, so in 13 games he had 7 interceptions. I doubt he ever has 4 interceptions in back to back games in the rest of his career. A second year in a new system should help. Draft Austin and the Bucs might push 40 TDs and 5,000 yards passing. I'm looking forward to this season and to the endangerment of crows everywhere.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#40 : March 21, 2013, 09:00:27 AM

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/yardsPerPassAttempt

And I love how his "great streak skewed his numbers", but not the two games after they were essentially eliminated from the playoffs when the team, coaches included, packed it in.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#41 : March 21, 2013, 09:01:22 AM

You should be in the front office making decisions.

Agreed

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#42 : March 21, 2013, 09:24:34 AM

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/yardsPerPassAttempt

And I love how his "great streak skewed his numbers", but not the two games after they were essentially eliminated from the playoffs when the team, coaches included, packed it in.

He's not interested in all of the facts, just the ones that support his position.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#43 : March 21, 2013, 09:39:47 AM

You oblivious to your own hypocrisy, I see.

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

#44 : March 21, 2013, 10:20:43 AM

I guess Freeman wasn't the franchise QB they thought he was...
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: GLAZER TELLS MEDIA, LET'S PLAY BETTER DEFENSE AND TAKE PRESURE OFF FREEMAN « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools