Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano wants to be closer to his team « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : March 21, 2013, 12:20:49 AM »

Schiano wants to be closer to his team

March, 20, 2013

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

Greg Schiano isn’t going to suddenly turn into Raheem Morris. But the coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers admitted he’s going to change a bit as he heads into his second season.

“I think the biggest thing is we’ve established the culture of how we do things,’’ Schiano said Wednesday at the NFL owners meeting. “So that’s not going to have to be my overriding job. The thing I feel I enjoy the most is getting to know the players and getting involved in their lives and helping them. It’s hard to do that when you’re trying to establish a certain way of doing things. I look forward to being able to really get closer to the players, and this is our team now and growing the team closer.’’

In Schiano’s first year as an NFL head coach, he drew plenty of attention for being a strict disciplinarian. That’s part of his nature, but he might have gone a bit overboard in that direction because Morris, his predecessor, was known for running a loose ship.

Now that his players are used to his ways, Schiano said the next step is to build a closer team.

“The hardest thing to do in this league is to build an unselfish football team because the league is designed to be selfish,’’ Schiano said. “There’s a finite salary cap that 53 guys fight over that money. They’re fighting for positions that change all season long. … Once we get to the football, let’s go back to being football players and coaches. That’s what we need to do a better job of. Just get better and grow closer.’’

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #1 : March 21, 2013, 12:30:55 AM »

very Dungy-like

-------------------------------------------------------

geetech84

Starter

« #2 : March 21, 2013, 12:47:23 AM »

very Dungy-like

Agree

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #3 : March 21, 2013, 09:57:56 AM »

I think we'll be very happily surprised in year two with this team.

Schiano is a real players coach...   that's effective.

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #4 : March 21, 2013, 10:05:43 AM »

See. Even schiano isn't above showering with jackson.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #5 : March 21, 2013, 10:40:40 AM »

I wasnt a huge fan of his hiring at first. When I heard him speak at the first PC I felt a little different. Hes backed up everything he has said so far. Hes a hard ass yes but he does it only because he wants the team to succeed.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #6 : March 21, 2013, 04:04:11 PM »

I've loved the Schiano hire since it happened. I knew of Schiano from watching Bigeast football. His players have always loved him because he was fair. You won't always get what you want but he'll treat you fairly. I think he'll loosen up this year and start to find a good groove. One thing is for sure, he cares very much about his players.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

« #7 : March 21, 2013, 04:09:15 PM »

Seriously who on this board wouldn't want to shower with VJax? I'd even let him wash my hair.

Sailing2smth

Starter

« #8 : March 21, 2013, 04:51:38 PM »

Seriously who on this board wouldn't want to shower with VJax? I'd even let him wash my hair.

WTF??

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #9 : March 21, 2013, 05:13:04 PM »

very Dungy-like

Exactly. The Bucs have gone a full decade without a HC they could both trust and respect. Schiano has a reputation in the northeast much like Paterno before the Sandusky scandal. His players love him. He's the kind of coach that develops a fierce loyalty and bond with all of his guys. You can tell he is widely respected among the coaching ranks by the caliber of the people on his staff. He is a leader and a teacher. I am so thankful Chip Kelly turned the Bucs down. Schiano could have stayed with Rutgers forever. I believe he will have that same option with the Bucs.

TampaBucks05

Pro Bowler
« #10 : March 21, 2013, 05:13:53 PM »

WTF??

Yeah, wtf is this board coming to? Smh.

gone

Hall of Famer
« #11 : March 21, 2013, 05:19:33 PM »

I used to always harp on Raheem being the buddy boss, because if you start out that way you can never tighten up, but if you start out as a hardass you can always dial it back and it works -- Coughlin is a great recent (or semi-recent) example of that.  Hopefully this isn't just talk on his part.

PewterBlitz

Starter

« #12 : March 21, 2013, 05:22:04 PM »

Laughed so hard at the VJAX washing hair comment.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #13 : March 21, 2013, 05:32:39 PM »

Are you saying you don't want to shower with vJ?

Cause it's either him or martin, and you know how he likes his onezee put on for him afterwards....

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

« #14 : March 21, 2013, 05:39:22 PM »

Are you saying you don't want to shower with vJ?

Cause it's either him or martin, and you know how he likes his onezee put on for him afterwards....

I hate that stupid zipper.  >:(

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano wants to be closer to his team « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools