Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano .... "Bucs will actively pursue some remaining free-agent corners" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: March 21, 2013, 01:06:05 AM

Buccaneers' Schiano expects big 2013 from Freeman, Bowers

Published: March 20, 2013

By Ira Kaufman

Predicting a "great'' 2013 season for Josh Freeman, Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Greg Schiano is eager to sit down with his young quarterback and discuss the factors that contributed to several turnover-filled efforts late last season.

Speaking at a breakfast for NFC coaches Wednesday at the owners meetings, Schiano also expects a double-digit sack season from third-year defensive end Da'Quan Bowers and lamented Tampa Bay's penchant for yielding long pass completions during a 7-9 finish in Schiano's first year on the sideline.

And, as expected, Schiano declined to comment on any potential trade talks with the New York Jets regarding cornerback Darrelle Revis.

"We have good young players in the pipeline, we're going to continue to pursue guys in free agency and we're going to draft well,'' Schiano said. "We have many scenarios because you're not in control of everything.''

Schiano was asked whether acquiring Revis is one of the scenarios under consideration.

"Whether it does or doesn't, I can't comment on guys under contract with another team,'' Schiano said. "Anything we can do to help our football team, we're going to do.''

The Bucs were 6-4 last year before a five-game losing streak derailed their playoff hopes. In back-to-back setbacks against the Saints and Rams, Freeman threw four interceptions apiece.

"If you look at Josh's season, in 13 games he threw seven interceptions and in three games, he threw 10,'' said Schiano. "That's it in a nutshell. Let's find the reasons why those three games occurred and eliminate the causes. When we get Josh back in the building, we're going to dig into his feelings on what the causes were.

"I believe he's going to have a great season and it's going to catapult him to where he wants to go and where we want to go. All those beliefs are great, but you've got to do it. I've got to do it, he's got to do it we all have to do it.''

In evaluating last season, Schiano kept coming back to Tampa Bay's pass defense, which ranked last in the league. The Bucs were particularly vulnerable to the long pass, yielding 69 completions of at least 20 yards and 11 completions of at least 40 yards.

"There's no excuses,'' Schiano said. "It doesn't matter if you have rookies or 10-year vets out there, you cannot allow big plays. That's how you get beat. When you look at our season, the two things that hurt us most were big plays and giveaways. The big pass plays are killers.

"They not only affect the game, but they affect the momentum of the game. When you're home, it sucks the life out of your crowd. And on the road, it ignites the crowd.''

The Bucs will actively pursue some remaining free-agent corners, Schiano said. He didn't deflect speculation the Bucs are interested in Brent Grimes, coming off an Achilles injury in Atlanta.

A better pass rush would help and Schiano said Bowers is poised for a breakthrough season.

A second-round pick in 2011, Bowers recovered from an Achilles injury and posted three sacks in limited action last year. He is awaiting the fallout from his arrest a month ago for carrying a gun at New York's LaGuardia Airport.

"He's a tremendous athlete for a man his size,'' Schiano said. "He's explosive and he's done it. It's our job to make him do it consistently. When he hurt his Achilles, it changed his body. Rather than being negative, he got in with our strength staff and changed his body. I think he's prepared to take the next step.''

Does that include becoming a double-digit sacker in 2013?

"He needs to be,'' Schiano said. "He should be. That's why we drafted him.''

BucsFan4090

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 21, 2013, 01:11:18 AM

A little too late you morons.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#2 : March 21, 2013, 01:18:19 AM

not really. grimes still out there, Winfield--plenty of solid guys left, and we only need one to pressure the jets.

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

BucsFan4090

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 21, 2013, 01:21:59 AM

So basically old/injured players is what were going for?

Awesome.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#4 : March 21, 2013, 01:40:20 AM

Poor planning. Now they're left with sloppy seconds. Not good.

In Verner We Trust

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 21, 2013, 02:26:51 AM

not really. grimes still out there, Winfield--plenty of solid guys left, and we only need one to pressure the jets.

Grimes coming off a serious injury, much more serious than Revis, and WInfield who is almost as old as Barber.

There's really no one who is much better than Wright.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#6 : March 21, 2013, 02:29:32 AM

Everybody is better than Wright, lyron.

In Verner We Trust

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#7 : March 21, 2013, 02:41:43 AM

As i said, all it takes is just one to serve our need to pressure the Jest

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#8 : March 21, 2013, 03:23:23 AM

Hope it happens, Beat.

In Verner We Trust

spurzo

Second String

#9 : March 21, 2013, 06:17:22 AM

Couple corner names I haven't really heard linked to us.  Nnamdi.  I realize that he sucked and got beat a lot last year.  He was asked to play off and in zone mostly, when he was at his best he played press man and pretty much exclusively on the right side.  Schiano's D plays a ton of press so why not stick him on that right side where he was a perennial pro bowler.  I've seen it written a few times that we want big corners to match up with the divisions big receivers, Nnamdi is one of the better big corners in the last decade. Also, Pacman Jones, Zimmer who is without a doubt one of the league's best D coordinators loved him.  Still has a very high skill level and according to PFF corner ratings he has a solid season.  Both would be fairly cheap considering the chump change that other corners got this year.  I still want Grimes the most though.

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
#10 : March 21, 2013, 06:29:24 AM

So the team wasn't impressed with the top CBS in this FA class but will actively pursue what's left? Sweet got it! Next thing, this team needs at least 3 CBS and by signing just 1, just 1 of the guys left on the market we're sending a powerful message to the Jets while getting leverage over them? I think I got it now!

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius

gone

Hall of Famer
#11 : March 21, 2013, 06:54:33 AM

"Schiano also expects a double-digit sack season from third-year defensive end Da'Quan Bowers"

Bowers needs to come back from injuries, avoid jail, remain healthy, and provide production he never has before.  Yeah, that's a smart bet.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#12 : March 21, 2013, 07:39:24 AM

Apparently Dummynik didn't get the memo ....we still aren;t pursuing anyone too "actively" ...."Actively" usually entails actually bringing guys in for visits....

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 21, 2013, 08:03:31 AM

I think that this years FA CB class was either mediocre, broken or old.  The best corner in FA was who? Sean Smith?  A busted up Brent Grimes?   Methusalah?   I get they need some bodies to play corner, but I am having a hard time justifying bringing someone in who is a half-ass answer on a one year patch deal.   

Revis is equal to two of these corners.  I laud the front office for taking a swing.

If that doesn't work out a patch job and a couple of rooks will get it done more than likely with a slight shift in scheme (as seen vs ATL.). This will be sufficient to get a playoff berth all things working.

We are all passionate about this team...   and that can breed impatience when we don't know what the plan is..

9 days in to free agency.

In these post cba  times I don't think  this one Free agency will  make this team a contender... Does it? 

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 21, 2013, 08:07:45 AM

So basically old/injured players is what were going for?

Awesome.

Winfield played very well last year. He's clearly a one year stop gap but he wasn't awful. The problem at his age is any year could be the year he loses enough of a step to no longer be effective. Grimes is clearly heavily damaged goods. The rest of what is left is really name without game.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano .... "Bucs will actively pursue some remaining free-agent corners" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools