Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jarvis Jones bit the big one at his pro day « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

PewterG@tor

Starter
#15 : March 21, 2013, 05:49:21 PM

I just don't get the excitement over this guy.  He'd be a strongside LB in a 4-3 defense.  There's a reason that we can get away with playing (insert undrafted/special teams player here) for so many years.  It just isn't a valued position.  He was a great sack guy in college, but unless we play him at DE, he isn't going to be in a position to generate a pass rush since he won't even be on the field on 3rd down.
There's this guy in Denver who plays SAM and is a pretty good pass rusher, too.  I'm not saying that Jones has the athleticism of Von Miller (clearly he doesn't), but the guy was the best defensive player in the country playing in the toughest conference in the country.  That has to count for something.

The difference is that the guy in Denver plays in a 3-4, where the pass rush is supposed to come from the OLBs.  I can't think of a single LB in a 4-3 that has made a difference as a pass rusher over the course of a full season.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#16 : March 21, 2013, 05:53:05 PM

I just don't get the excitement over this guy.  He'd be a strongside LB in a 4-3 defense.  There's a reason that we can get away with playing (insert undrafted/special teams player here) for so many years.  It just isn't a valued position.  He was a great sack guy in college, but unless we play him at DE, he isn't going to be in a position to generate a pass rush since he won't even be on the field on 3rd down.
There's this guy in Denver who plays SAM and is a pretty good pass rusher, too.  I'm not saying that Jones has the athleticism of Von Miller (clearly he doesn't), but the guy was the best defensive player in the country playing in the toughest conference in the country.  That has to count for something.

The difference is that the guy in Denver plays in a 3-4, where the pass rush is supposed to come from the OLBs.  I can't think of a single LB in a 4-3 that has made a difference as a pass rusher over the course of a full season.
Denver played a 4-3 this year.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21672566/broncos-defense-features-classic-4-3-scheme-pass

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#17 : March 21, 2013, 05:55:40 PM

S likes to blitz from all angles. A guy like Jones makes sense for the sack starved defense.

Beefs up the linebackers, which are paper thin, and at a cost effective rate.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#18 : March 21, 2013, 06:04:20 PM

Inb4idonlytakehiminround2

gone

Hall of Famer
#19 : March 21, 2013, 06:11:00 PM

S likes to blitz from all angles. A guy like Jones makes sense for the sack starved defense.

^^^Basically this.

I posted something on the insider the other jay about us maybe targeting him.  Letting Bennett walk and gambling on Bowers is a big, big gamble for such a horrific pass-rushing team.  There needs to be a plan B (and a plan A).  Jones could be both.  Extra pressure behind Bowers if Bowers does well, and they may think that if Bowers fails or jails then DTN +Jones  > Bennett + Watson.  That's one way I can see letting Bennett go making some kind of sense.

And PewterGator, you need to get your head out of the SAMd -- stop fixating on the position title, it's not a straightjacket.  Just like the Mike doesn't always get the green dot, SAM isn't always just the run stuffer coming off on passing downs.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#20 : March 21, 2013, 06:18:50 PM

I would not mind drafting him. But looking at the big board
 I would say there is a 90 percent chance we will draft a DE in the 1st round.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

PewterG@tor

Starter
#21 : March 21, 2013, 06:26:02 PM

^^^Basically this.

I posted something on the insider the other jay about us maybe targeting him.  Letting Bennett walk and gambling on Bowers is a big, big gamble for such a horrific pass-rushing team.  There needs to be a plan B (and a plan A).  Jones could be both.  Extra pressure behind Bowers if Bowers does well, and they may think that if Bowers fails or jails then DTN +Jones  > Bennett + Watson.  That's one way I can see letting Bennett go making some kind of sense.

And PewterGator, you need to get your head out of the SAMd -- stop fixating on the position title, it's not a straightjacket.  Just like the Mike doesn't always get the green dot, SAM isn't always just the run stuffer coming off on passing downs.

Hey, I'm totally open to it working out.  Just saying that I haven't seen it work.  If Denver actually ran a 4-3 last year then they figured out how to make it happen.  I'm not sure that this is the right guy for us though.  Bucs have been burned more than once with guys and back problems.

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#22 : March 21, 2013, 06:42:14 PM

4.9? 

What did Teo run again?

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#23 : March 21, 2013, 06:44:54 PM

There is no "if"....Denver runs a 4-3. Not a 3-4.

Jarvis would play SLB in early downs and would rush the passer on passing downs.

Bowers, Bennett, McCoy, Clayborn all coming at the QB.

Not bad at all.
: March 21, 2013, 06:47:44 PM chace1986

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

BucMyLife

Pro Bowler
#24 : March 21, 2013, 06:57:00 PM

There's this guy in Denver who plays SAM and is a pretty good pass rusher, too.  I'm not saying that Jones has the athleticism of Von Miller (clearly he doesn't), but the guy was the best defensive player in the country playing in the toughest conference in the country. That has to count for something.

Da fuq?!

Signed,

Jadevon Clowney

The quest for .500 begins...

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#25 : March 21, 2013, 07:21:55 PM

I don't care about the slow 40 ....I care about the degenerative back.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#26 : March 21, 2013, 07:22:44 PM

There's this guy in Denver who plays SAM and is a pretty good pass rusher, too.  I'm not saying that Jones has the athleticism of Von Miller (clearly he doesn't), but the guy was the best defensive player in the country playing in the toughest conference in the country. That has to count for something.

Da fuq?!

Signed,

Jadevon Clowney
Good point. The best draft eligible defensive player in the country then.

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#27 : March 21, 2013, 07:24:45 PM

Were there any LB's up for the Heisman this year?

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#28 : March 21, 2013, 07:41:31 PM

If we still have a pick, I can see us taking a dlineman.  Anyone that has some kind of physical ailment is a contender.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#29 : March 21, 2013, 09:28:33 PM

I don't care about the slow 40 ....I care about the degenerative back.
Then this should put your mind at ease.  This is an actual doctor, who is specialized in spinal cord injuries, giving him an all clear.

"leading orthopedist Craig Brigham said Jarvis Jones never had a significant spinal cord contusion. Brigham believes that Jones had a very mild incident of a contusion or even a stinger."
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jarvis Jones bit the big one at his pro day « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools