Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jarvis Jones bit the big one at his pro day « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#45 : March 22, 2013, 07:31:25 PM

Easy. Xavier Rhodes. He may not slip out of the teens if we don't grab him. Not much of a reach, IMO.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#46 : March 22, 2013, 07:35:13 PM

As of today our starting corners are Leonard Johnson and Myron Lewis ,  and people are talking about drafting a NT or a SAM.

Freaking Amazing....

So the FO needs to get us some FA corners which would allow us to take BPA

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#47 : March 22, 2013, 07:58:04 PM

As of today our starting corners are Leonard Johnson and Myron Lewis ,  and people are talking about drafting a NT or a SAM.

Freaking Amazing....

What CB do you see with the value at 13? Millner will be gone and I don't want to reach for Trufant or Rhodes.

Doesn't matter . We've lost the ability to go BPA at this point through our negligence.....although I would argue that both Rhodes and Trufant are not reaches at 13.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#48 : March 22, 2013, 08:15:35 PM

Freaking Amazing....

What CB do you see with the value at 13? Millner will be gone and I don't want to reach for Trufant or Rhodes.

Doesn't matter . We've lost the ability to go BPA at this point through our negligence.....although I would argue that both Rhodes and Trufant are not reaches at 13.
And I would argue that there's not much difference between Rhodes or Trufant and Taylor, Banks, Wreh-Wilson, or Ryan.  We could easily grab one of those guys later in the draft.  There's no one else in the draft that brings Jones proven ability to get after the QB.  Going BPA instead of taking impact football players like Jones or Austin (who still fill needs) is what would keep this franchise mediocre for the future.

gone

Hall of Famer
#49 : March 22, 2013, 08:21:12 PM

Spending early picks to plug holes is just about the worst thing you can do.  You grab the best player you can unless you are thoroughly set at that player's position.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#50 : March 22, 2013, 10:11:28 PM

Freaking Amazing....

And I would argue that there's not much difference between Rhodes or Trufant and Taylor, Banks, Wreh-Wilson, or Ryan.  We could easily grab one of those guys later in the draft.  There's no one else in the draft that brings Jones proven ability to get after the QB.  Going BPA instead of taking impact football players like Jones or Austin (who still fill needs) is what would keep this franchise mediocre for the future.

Problem is , what if you wait until round 2 or 3 hoping to get a guy like Logan Ryan and he gets picked right before you ? Then you are going to be  forced to reach for even worse players  . This exact scenario is how we ended up with Arrelious Benn.

We have no choice but to address corner in this draft.  If you don't get the good ones when they are available to you , there's a chance they might not be there when your pick comes around again. Gambling is not a luxury we can afford with a gaping need at a position that is this crucial.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#51 : March 22, 2013, 11:54:01 PM

Freaking Amazing....

Problem is , what if you wait until round 2 or 3 hoping to get a guy like Logan Ryan and he gets picked right before you ? Then you are going to be  forced to reach for even worse players  . This exact scenario is how we ended up with Arrelious Benn.

We have no choice but to address corner in this draft.  If you don't get the good ones when they are available to you , there's a chance they might not be there when your pick comes around again. Gambling is not a luxury we can afford with a gaping need at a position that is this crucial.
That assumes that the Bucs are just going to wait and see what players are there when they pick.  I think last year showed that they are willing to maneuver to get the players they want.  Don't be surprised to see them jump back into the end of the first round if Trufant or Taylor is there late.  According to PR, Dom likes the 5 yr contracts that accompany 1st round picks.   

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#52 : March 23, 2013, 08:34:31 AM

Freaking Amazing....

That assumes that the Bucs are just going to wait and see what players are there when they pick.  I think last year showed that they are willing to maneuver to get the players they want.  Don't be surprised to see them jump back into the end of the first round if Trufant or Taylor is there late.  According to PR, Dom likes the 5 yr contracts that accompany 1st round picks.

True. But we got lucky last year when Lavonte fell as far as he did. If he didn't fall that far , we wouldn't have had the ammo to get back up and get him , and our draft would not be nearly as good. Plus you need willing partners at the right location.  I don't think it's a good idea to count on that type of thing every year.

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#53 : March 23, 2013, 09:07:30 AM

Freaking Amazing....

True. But we got lucky last year when Lavonte fell as far as he did. If he didn't fall that far , we wouldn't have had the ammo to get back up and get him , and our draft would not be nearly as good. Plus you need willing partners at the right location.  I don't think it's a good idea to count on that type of thing every year.

It's way to many corners in this draft not to have one fall to Tampa in the 2nd round. Dom has shown he knows how to play the early half of the draft.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#54 : March 23, 2013, 09:11:03 AM

Sure there will be a corner there ....but will it be the RIGHT one who can start on day 1  ? Doubtful if we wait until round 2.  If there is a run on CB's at the top of the 2nd , and then we end up with the Arrelious Benn of corners , it's another season down the drain.

It's too big of a need , folks. We have to pick either Rhodes or Trufant , whether you think it's a reach or not.  Maybe we can trade back a little like last season and make everyone happy.
: March 23, 2013, 09:13:46 AM Fire Mark Dummynik

PewterG@tor

Starter
#55 : March 23, 2013, 01:00:38 PM

I got news for you guys...Trufant is not a reach at 13.  That dude is going top 20 in any type of scenario.  No way he makes it to the 2nd.  He played well in the Senior Bowl, showed well at the combine and has seen a rise in his stock as a result.  I'd welcome him on our team.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#56 : March 23, 2013, 01:36:04 PM

Both Rhodes and Trufant will be top 20 picks, whether it's us who selects them, or not.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#57 : March 23, 2013, 02:44:33 PM

I got news for you guys...Trufant is not a reach at 13.  That dude is going top 20 in any type of scenario.  No way he makes it to the 2nd.  He played well in the Senior Bowl, showed well at the combine and has seen a rise in his stock as a result.  I'd welcome him on our team.
Totaly agree. The guy looked like a man among boys at the senior bowl, and his measurables put those of last years best corner prospect , Moron Claiborne , to shame.  Saying he is not a legit 1st rounder at this point is  just ignorant.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#58 : March 23, 2013, 03:52:12 PM

Whether or not Rhodes and Trufant are 1st round CB's isn't the point.  They both will be taken in the 1st round, but they are not head and shoulders above the next tier of CB's that will be going in round 2.  The CB class is deep.  The elite, proven pass rushing class is not.

Also, don't get too excited about the senior bowl stuff.  Trufant PRACTICED well.  There is a reason that after 4 yrs of gametape, he was looked at as a 2-3 round pick.  I love his swagger, but I'm always very leery of prospects whose stock shoots up between the end of the season and the draft.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#59 : March 23, 2013, 04:32:35 PM

He's got the bloodline also ....Trufant's are proven NFL caliber corners.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jarvis Jones bit the big one at his pro day « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools