Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tavon Austin is custom-built for the modern NFL « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 12

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: March 22, 2013, 12:09:44 AM

The Shutdown Corner.... Evaluating the WR/TE class

..By Doug Farrar | Shutdown Corner 8 minutes ago.. .

Tavon Austin is custom-built for the modern NFL. (Getty Images)

You didn't think that we were finished doing podcasts with our buddy Greg Cosell of NFL Films and ESPN's NFL Matchup just because the NFL season is over, did you? Well, if you did, fear not -- we're back in the saddle (and Greg's now writing for Shutdown Corner as well) to do a new series of podcasts in which we evaluate the draft prospects by position. We've already discussed the quarterbacks and running backs in this year's class, and how it's time to talk about a very intriguing group of receivers and tight ends. Greg has taken his decades of experience, and oodles of coach's tape, and transferred both to the college side just in time for the pre-draft process.

A few words of wisdom from Mr. Cosell:

On Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson: "Patterson will be drafted high solely because of his size, and his dynamic movement. I don't think he's anywhere close to being a quality receiver in terms of the subtleties of how to run routes. In fact, he's so much quicker and more dynamic with the ball in his hands, as opposed to running routes. Running routes, he's not that dynamic, because he doesn't know how to do it yet. He needs to go to a team with a very good receivers coach, and he needs to be taught how to become a receiver."

On West Virginia WR Tavon Austin: "He may be one of my favorite players in this draft, and I spent a lot of time talking about this on Twitter the other day. I would select this kid in the top 10 or 12 in the draft, and I think that this is where the league is going. I wrote about this in my last column on Shutdown Corner. The NFL has now become a passing space league in many ways, and the conventional concepts of how to use receivers -- that's a little old-school. I think Tavon Austin fits where this league is going."

On Clemson WR DeAndre Hopkins: "To me, what stood out -- I think he has excellent hands. He has a great ability to snatch the ball away from his body, and great body control. He's a very competitive guy with the ball in the air. I think he's a little straight-line in his movement, but very strong hands, and deceptive speed. I wouldn't call him a burner, but he has deceptive speed. Guys like this -- he'll obviously play in the league, and he might be very good, but he's not what I would call a smooth, fluid guy."

On Cal WR Keenan Allen: "He's a smoother accelerator than Hopkins. He's got deceptive vertical speed. Again, not a burner, but a smoother, quicker guy. What I really liked when watching him is that he's very compact in his vertical stem -- every route looked the same. I remember talking with cornerbacks years ago, when they played against Jimmy Smith, the old Jaguars receiver, who was really good. They would say that about him, and how he was so tough to defend because of that."

On Notre Dame TE Tyler Eifert: "He's my favorite tight end in this draft. I think his athleticism and movement is number-one in this draft. A very smooth athlete who shows the ability to run routes from split wide receiver positions against cornerbacks. He's made back-shoulder catches in the seam against cornerbacks. In today's NFL, he's a first-round pick."

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 22, 2013, 12:25:39 AM

None of these guys relate to the bucs.

Then again, I was thinking they would've went after a CB by now, so obviously I have no clue what they're doing.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#2 : March 22, 2013, 12:36:18 AM

Austin will be a Buc.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 22, 2013, 01:14:53 AM

At 13? I dunno.

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#4 : March 22, 2013, 08:49:08 AM

I would take him at 13 in a heartbeat.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 22, 2013, 09:20:42 AM

I think that from the perspective of this board, Austin has pretty much become this year's Trent Richardson.

BucsWin31

Starter

#6 : March 22, 2013, 09:27:42 AM

I think that from the perspective of this board, Austin has pretty much become this year's Trent Richardson.
Lol only thing is he could actually be there when we pick. If you're goin BPA he could easily be that pick. I would love it

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#7 : March 22, 2013, 09:35:54 AM

If the Bucs get Revis and they dont trade this years first. I wouldnt be opposed.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#8 : March 22, 2013, 09:39:31 AM

pretty much. everyone wants him but theres no reason to take him. its funny because everyone whines about how bad our defense is but they want to burn our 1st on a WR.  ???

STULAAKE

Hall of Famer

#9 : March 22, 2013, 09:53:37 AM

Is that a good or bad thing?

You must be accountable for your actions!

acacius

Hall of Famer

#10 : March 22, 2013, 10:01:01 AM

Yes.

Seriously though, from *my* perspective, it means that the guy's a very nice prospect who's getting overhyped by people with tunnel vision.  But I see no reason to doubt that he'll be a very good player (just not a generational one that the team would *have* to draft), so it's hard to cast *too* many stones at his fans.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 22, 2013, 10:07:49 AM

Yes.

Seriously though, from *my* perspective, it means that the guy's a very nice prospect who's getting overhyped by people with tunnel vision.  But I see no reason to doubt that he'll be a very good player (just not a generational one that the team would *have* to draft), so it's hard to cast *too* many stones at his fans.

Im willing to cast stones at people that make short sighted comments about us HAVING to draft a guy like this. you have to make moves that improve the areas of the team that are problems. taking a receiver helps the offense but continues to make the defense suck. the defense was the problem with this team last year and is what cost us so many games because they couldnt stop anything. you have to improve the defense before you look at the offense. the onyl positions of priority on the offense are RT and TE. a slot wr is really low on the list

we need to take the BPA in the first few rounds and it needs to be defense. if BPA is a DT or DE or CB you take them. ignore WR and only go OL if its someone like lane johnson

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#12 : March 22, 2013, 10:08:23 AM

You know what?  I actually have changed my mind. Drafting this kid would be a good damned idea. I say, this is actually my favorite guy to get so far.

Austin.
Jones.
Rhodes.
Ogletree.

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 22, 2013, 10:08:28 AM

Austin will be a Buc.
Agreed

acacius

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 22, 2013, 10:11:59 AM

Im willing to cast stones at people that make short sighted comments about us HAVING to draft a guy like this. you have to make moves that improve the areas of the team that are problems. taking a receiver helps the offense but continues to make the defense suck. the defense was the problem with this team last year and is what cost us so many games because they couldnt stop anything. you have to improve the defense before you look at the offense. the onyl positions of priority on the offense are RT and TE. a slot wr is really low on the list

we need to take the BPA in the first few rounds and it needs to be defense. if BPA is a DT or DE or CB you take them. ignore WR and only go OL if its someone like lane johnson
I don't fundamentally disagree with you.  It would be one thing if we were talking about a guy like Calvin Johnson, but we aren't.  I am woefully unconvinced that Austin will stand head-and-shoulders above the guys who'll be there who will better fit the team's needs.  But, he's still a decent prospect, even if he *would* be the team's fourth option (at best) on their offense next season.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 12
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tavon Austin is custom-built for the modern NFL « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools