Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tavon Austin is custom-built for the modern NFL « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 12

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#15 : March 22, 2013, 10:13:22 AM

Austin will be a Buc.
I hope so. Their attempts at rebuilding the secondary has met some measure of disappointment to date. Add to the offense, make it ridiculous.

Jackson, TD Mike, Martin, Austin, Nicks, Blount...some nice toys to play with.

Austin is a better WR than Rhodes is a CB. By far. Draft Austin. I am all on this train. Seriously. Had a moment of clarity. Austin makes so much sense...

STULAAKE

Hall of Famer

#16 : March 22, 2013, 10:14:23 AM

I think that from the perspective of this board, Austin has pretty much become this year's Trent Richardson.
Is that a good or bad thing?
Yes.

Seriously though, from *my* perspective, it means that the guy's a very nice prospect who's getting overhyped by people with tunnel vision.  But I see no reason to doubt that he'll be a very good player (just not a generational one that the team would *have* to draft), so it's hard to cast *too* many stones at his fans.

No need to "cast stones."  We are all talking about one common goal.  See the Bucs win multiple Super Bowls.  I mean, I think most of us are.

The idea of building Super Bowl caliber teams was to acquire as many "very good" football players as possible. 

We agree then, that Tavon Austin is a very good football player that would add offensive and special teams explosion and dynamics that currently does not sit on this roster.

Then why not add a player of this skill set at our #13 overall pick?  If not, why not?

You must be accountable for your actions!

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#17 : March 22, 2013, 10:23:59 AM

I think that from the perspective of this board, Austin has pretty much become this year's Trent Richardson.
Is that a good or bad thing?
Yes.

Seriously though, from *my* perspective, it means that the guy's a very nice prospect who's getting overhyped by people with tunnel vision.  But I see no reason to doubt that he'll be a very good player (just not a generational one that the team would *have* to draft), so it's hard to cast *too* many stones at his fans.

No need to "cast stones."  We are all talking about one common goal.  See the Bucs win multiple Super Bowls.  I mean, I think most of us are.

The idea of building Super Bowl caliber teams was to acquire as many "very good" football players as possible. 

We agree then, that Tavon Austin is a very good football player that would add offensive and special teams explosion and dynamics that currently does not sit on this roster.

Then why not add a player of this skill set at our #13 overall pick?  If not, why not?

ill give you a why not. how many touches can we get him?

doug martin needs to get 20+ touches at rb to execute our offense. Vjax and mike williams also will be getting touches. assuming we get a TE that guy will get a few touches. so hes the 3rd option at receiver. why on earth do we spend a high pick on a guy who isnt going to be a primary player when we have MASSIVE needs in other spots on the team.

NOBODY can argue that we dont have glaring holes at DE, DT, and CB. we cant be wasting picks on a slot player that early and ignore the serious issues we have elsewhere on the team. its like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

austin is a good player but he just isnt the Best Player Available for this team

here are a few players that have at least a 50% chance to be on the board that fit our needs and would make the team better
Bjoern Werner DE
Star Lotulelei DT
Desmond Trufant CB
Xavier Rhodes CB
Javis Jones OLB (i dont even want us to take Jones but id be ok with this pick if the other option is austin)
: March 22, 2013, 10:27:46 AM dexmonkey

STULAAKE

Hall of Famer

#18 : March 22, 2013, 10:28:06 AM

Because you DO NOT draft for needs.  PERIOD!

acacius

Hall of Famer

#19 : March 22, 2013, 10:28:51 AM

Because I feel that the team can add a different player with a comparably valuable skill set that will have a bigger impact on the team.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#20 : March 22, 2013, 10:29:25 AM

Austin is going to be an absolute playmaker....

..but we were waaaaay too stagnant in FA to draft him and will pretty much have to spend the entire draft trying to acquired defensive talent to fill some pretty significant gaps in the lineup/depth.

We also have 2 really good WRs and if we had a great QB who could spread the ball around well enough and could go through multiple progressions, then I would be more open to picking him.

Love Tavon and he will be a Percy Harvin type threat in ST and in the receiving game for what ever team he goes to.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#21 : March 22, 2013, 10:30:01 AM

Austin is a playmaker who will touch the ball multiple times on special teams where he can potentially flip a field. And then he might get a few Benn'e Around plays that actually might generate big yardage. Rather than having absolutely no chance as a result of personnel not having the speed and agility to do so. And then as a true slot receiver, he would get targeted eight to ten times a game. If he gets 6 thrown at him, he could break for yards or points. He is explosion. I will be dissapointed if the Bucs miss out on this kid...

He would see the ball far more than you give him credit for, IMO. He is not a luxury. He is a need, and a need of vital import.

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#22 : March 22, 2013, 10:30:23 AM

ill give you a why not. how many touches can we get him?

doug martin needs to get 20+ touches at rb to execute our offense. Vjax and mike williams also will be getting touches. assuming we get a TE that guy will get a few touches. so hes the 3rd option at receiver. why on earth do we spend a high pick on a guy who isnt going to be a primary player when we have MASSIVE needs in other spots on the team.

I agree with this, would really question if his role in this offense would be that great, although I like him if the offense wouldn't try to be some ball control running attack. Also ok with the pick if they're going to let Williams walk next year and they trade for Revis, but please not for a 1st next year.

STULAAKE

Hall of Famer

#23 : March 22, 2013, 10:30:39 AM

Because I feel that the team can add a different player with a comparably valuable skill set that will have a bigger impact on the team.

If the Bucs have players at different positions ranked equally, so be it.   I suppose that is one of many unknowns.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#24 : March 22, 2013, 10:33:36 AM

Bear in mind Williams is a FA next year, and he is going to cost. The man is going to snag 6-10 TDs for the team, and most in displays of spectacular ability. But after TD Mike and VJax, the Bucs have relative trash back there. One goes down, Bucs are royally fucd.

Austin is a beast, and a NEED!

Do not give up he first!  Draft Austin!

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#25 : March 22, 2013, 10:41:28 AM

Because you DO NOT draft for needs.  PERIOD!

yes you do when your needs are critical. cornerback for example

when danny gorrer is starting for you at corner you are in trouble. all the offense in the world wont help you if you cant stop the other team from scoring. drew brees threw for a million yards and tds this year again and the saints were awful because they couldnt stop anyone on defense. coincidentally we lost to them twice because their offense is better than ours but our defense is just as bad. if we draft another receiver we will continue to suck complete ass

all of the players i listed above are fine BPA fits. BPA doesnt mean actual best player available. its best player available that fits need. the Patriots arent drafting a QB in the first if the best player available is a qb.

jesus is that hard to understand?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#26 : March 22, 2013, 10:43:34 AM

Patriots might. Brady is getting old.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#27 : March 22, 2013, 10:45:53 AM

Patriots might. Brady is getting old.

ok maybe not the best example. Colts or Packers then. they arent drafting another qb

Madman

Hall of Famer

#28 : March 22, 2013, 10:49:37 AM

Austin in the slot with Vjax and MikeWill on the outside would be DEADLY.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#29 : March 22, 2013, 10:52:32 AM

True, but WR is a need on this team. It may not be as dire a need, but it is relevant and needs an infusion of true talent. If VJ or TD19 goes down, the offense reverts to a predictable plod show that will be easy to stifle.

Austin is a significantly better prospect as a WR than Rhodes is as a CB. It's not even close man. Not by a mile.

Bucs can draft CBs in round 2 and 3 and sign a vet like Nnamdi or Winfield to stop the bleeding for a year, and let the Offense carry the team and a more competent secondary with better coaching will slow the other teams passing attack down just enough to secure wins.

Austin is not a luxury. He is a big time need and a big time playmaker. Arguably, THE playmaker.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tavon Austin is custom-built for the modern NFL « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools