Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tavon Austin is custom-built for the modern NFL « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#30 : March 22, 2013, 10:58:34 AM

Reguardless of what comes of the remainder of the free agent period, I'd draft Autstin at #13.  He would complete our offense and be tremendous upgrade to special teams.  There isn't another player in this draft that could do that if we wait until the 2nd round.  From rounds 2-7, Dominik and Schiano can address the defense.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#31 : March 22, 2013, 10:58:44 AM

If the Bucs get Revis and they dont trade this years first. I wouldnt be opposed.
Agreed. Only way it could happen.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#32 : March 22, 2013, 10:59:00 AM

True, but WR is a need on this team. It may not be as dire a need, but it is relevant and needs an infusion of true talent. If VJ or TD19 goes down, the offense reverts to a predictable plod show that will be easy to stifle.

Austin is a significantly better prospect as a WR than Rhodes is as a CB. It's not even close man. Not by a mile.

Bucs can draft CBs in round 2 and 3 and sign a vet like Nnamdi or Winfield to stop the bleeding for a year, and let the Offense carry the team and a more competent secondary with better coaching will slow the other teams passing attack down just enough to secure wins.

Austin is not a luxury. He is a big time need and a big time playmaker. Arguably, THE playmaker.

see this is where i disagree. i dont think austin is significantly better than trufant or rhodes. I think his inclusion as a pick downgrades the team because we cant use that pick for a premium defensive player or a tradeback.

thats my feeling on this matter

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#33 : March 22, 2013, 11:04:19 AM

I think that from the perspective of this board, Austin has pretty much become this year's Trent Richardson.
Is that a good or bad thing?
Yes.

Seriously though, from *my* perspective, it means that the guy's a very nice prospect who's getting overhyped by people with tunnel vision.  But I see no reason to doubt that he'll be a very good player (just not a generational one that the team would *have* to draft), so it's hard to cast *too* many stones at his fans.

No need to "cast stones."  We are all talking about one common goal.  See the Bucs win multiple Super Bowls.  I mean, I think most of us are.

The idea of building Super Bowl caliber teams was to acquire as many "very good" football players as possible. 

We agree then, that Tavon Austin is a very good football player that would add offensive and special teams explosion and dynamics that currently does not sit on this roster.

Then why not add a player of this skill set at our #13 overall pick?  If not, why not?

ill give you a why not. how many touches can we get him?

doug martin needs to get 20+ touches at rb to execute our offense. Vjax and mike williams also will be getting touches. assuming we get a TE that guy will get a few touches. so hes the 3rd option at receiver. why on earth do we spend a high pick on a guy who isnt going to be a primary player when we have MASSIVE needs in other spots on the team.

NOBODY can argue that we dont have glaring holes at DE, DT, and CB. we cant be wasting picks on a slot player that early and ignore the serious issues we have elsewhere on the team. its like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

austin is a good player but he just isnt the Best Player Available for this team

here are a few players that have at least a 50% chance to be on the board that fit our needs and would make the team better
Bjoern Werner DE
Star Lotulelei DT
Desmond Trufant CB
Xavier Rhodes CB
Javis Jones OLB (i dont even want us to take Jones but id be ok with this pick if the other option is austin)

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but when this offense is operating properly the slot wr is #2 in targets. Plus he's touching the ball on every punt and kick return.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#34 : March 22, 2013, 11:06:46 AM

Just sick! Highlight after highlight including his 572 all-purpose yard game against #12 Oklahoma.

: March 22, 2013, 11:09:33 AM Madman

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#35 : March 22, 2013, 11:07:40 AM

Austin will be a Buc.

Fingers, Toes and Eyes crossed.

A lot of things have to fall into place - but if he's BPA.... hell yes please.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#36 : March 22, 2013, 11:12:13 AM

True, but WR is a need on this team. It may not be as dire a need, but it is relevant and needs an infusion of true talent. If VJ or TD19 goes down, the offense reverts to a predictable plod show that will be easy to stifle.

Austin is a significantly better prospect as a WR than Rhodes is as a CB. It's not even close man. Not by a mile.

Bucs can draft CBs in round 2 and 3 and sign a vet like Nnamdi or Winfield to stop the bleeding for a year, and let the Offense carry the team and a more competent secondary with better coaching will slow the other teams passing attack down just enough to secure wins.

Austin is not a luxury. He is a big time need and a big time playmaker. Arguably, THE playmaker.
I disagree. I know a lot of people like Austin and he has a chance to be a good player, but he's extremely limited physically. Rhodes may have some issues in his game, but physically he has everything you'd want. His upside as an every down starting corner is muhc higher than Austin's upside as a slot receiver and return guy.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#37 : March 22, 2013, 11:12:48 AM

Austin is a guy the Bucs need.

Get Rutgers CB round 2, sign Winfield to a rental, maybe lowball Grimes...Secondary suddenly is competent. Not Studly. But better than last year.

Austin is a fast, quick, agile, shifty, tough playmaker of the elite caliber. Draft elite talent.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#38 : March 22, 2013, 11:17:43 AM

I disagree. I know a lot of people like Austin and he has a chance to be a good player, but he's extremely limited physically. Rhodes may have some issues in his game, but physically he has everything you'd want. His upside as an every down starting corner is muhc higher than Austin's upside as a slot receiver and return guy.

Rhodes' upside isn't very high if he can't move his hips better

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#39 : March 22, 2013, 11:19:28 AM

Got to agree about Rhodes...   

saw his first draft segment last night...   not a first rounder IMO.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#40 : March 22, 2013, 11:21:45 AM

Rhodes' upside isn't very high if he can't move his hips better
Whatever your opinion on Rhodes, and I don't really have one, my greater point is that there will be CB's and other players at other positions available that profile as every down starters and not gadget/utility players.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#41 : March 22, 2013, 11:31:46 AM

Again, I do not view Austin as any more of a gadget player than Percy Harvin is, or DeSean Jackson is. Austin is a tough 4.3 shifter that will touch be ball between 10-14 times a game. That is quite a lot, and he is capable of scoring from anywhere. The Bucs lack this element.

EersNBucs

Practice Squad

#42 : March 22, 2013, 11:33:05 AM

Hey everyone,
Long time reader and first time poster. As you may be able to tell from my username my two favorite teams are the WVU mountaineers and TB bucs (weird combo, i know i hear it all the time). I have been reading this board for the better part of two years now and have finally decided to post since I've seen numerous posts about TA, who is my favorite WVU player of all time. He is simply electric. Even if I take away my gold and blue glasses i still have never seen a player that can move the way he does. NONE. I have watched him ever since he committed to WVU back in 2008. He will be a special NFL player and I would probably lose my **** if the Bucs draft him. I do say that we need to sure up the defense for sure. But the way everyone on here with information seems to be hinting that we will get revis or some other form of CB help i see no better choice then tavon if we do get some CBs. When we look back i truly believe that he will be one of if not the top player to come out of this draft and a true game changer. He can do it all, he just needs the ball in his hands and let him do his thing. Anyone concerned about size and about him getting hit need to go watch some film on him and actually count how many "hits" hes taken because he barely takes any. I've never seen anyone who was so quick with his movements that no defender yet has been able to get a solid hit on him. Just watch tape if you don't believe me. And i know some will say well thats college and this is the NFL. I understand that but he didnt just do it against the scrub teams. He torched lsu, oklahoma ,texas, etc,, teams that are stacked with future nfl players. Now obviously my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt because i am a huge WVU homer but ive watched this guy for 5 years and truly believe that he is a special football player who will excel at any level and if he is there at 13 we need to take him if we sure up our D. Thanks to those who endured my entire first post and I look forward to posting on here in the future!

PS
I am highly active on the WVU boards as well so if there are any WVU fans on here or if you guys want to know how other fans feel about TA or other wvu players the best site would be bluegoldnews.com and go to the forum bgn football. Any mountaineer fan would be glad to talk about TA, geno, stedman, or any wvu player in the draft

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#43 : March 22, 2013, 11:36:11 AM

Welcome Eers...

Good post on a potentially elite level NFL player.

I was also impressed with this young man's interviews.   He grounded AND confident without being immature.

I really do hope things work out that he's a Buc.

EersNBucs

Practice Squad

#44 : March 22, 2013, 11:42:16 AM

Welcome Eers...

Good post on a potentially elite level NFL player.

I was also impressed with this young man's interviews.   He grounded AND confident without being immature.

I really do hope things work out that he's a Buc.

Thanks man, Im glad i finally started posting, but just to add to your comment, you are absolutely right. I've had the pleasure of talking to tavon a few times and he is one of the most humble people i've met, He is a true character guy. But if you ever get to watch him on the field or in practice he is constantly talking smack to whoever he can on the opposition. I know that sounds bad but he only does it in a competitive setting and to get into the other guys head. plus tavon isn't oblivious to the fact that he just flat out better than most defenders and he lets them know it. I personally love the attitude he plays with and shows on the field. but when it comes to off field and just being a regular guy, tavons one of the nicest and most respectful people.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tavon Austin is custom-built for the modern NFL « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools