Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano claims that he’s not “married” to Freeman..... but in reality, he is. « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : March 22, 2013, 12:16:02 AM »

In reality, Greg Schiano is 'married' to Josh Freeman

Stephen F. Holder, Times Staff Writer

Thursday, March 21, 2013 11:59am

DANIEL WALLACE | Times
Bucs head coach Greg Schiano is married to quarterback Josh Freeman, and that’s a fact, Stephen F. Holder writes.

Bucs coach Greg Schiano’s media session at the NFL meetings on Wednesday featured, predictably, a lot of talk about quarterback Josh Freeman.

Schiano’s comments after the season in which he indicated he’d like more competition behind Freeman introduced all kinds of questions about the way he views the player the Bucs have always portrayed as their franchise quarterback.

Naturally, the questions are still coming.

As Rick Stroud reported from Phoenix, Schiano, in a way, said all the right things. He reinforced that he thinks the Bucs can and will win with Freeman and that he believes Freeman is going to have a “great” season.

But Schiano tempered those laudatory comments with some (valid) criticisms while adding that he’s not “married” to Freeman.

“I've said I believe we can win and achieve all the goals we want with Josh Freeman as our quarterback. But to say you're married, well, nobody is married to anyone in this game,” Schiano said. “The reality is this is a performance-based game. You've got to win. They're not married to me. You've got to win or I'm not going to be the coach. Everybody in this game gets that.”

One quibble: Schiano is married to Freeman, and that’s a fact.

Here’s the situation: If Freeman stinks up the joint in 2013, odds are the Bucs will move on and begin a search for another quarterback. And barring them uncovering the next Russell Wilson, that’s going to be a long and arduous process. The success of rookie quarterbacks in 2012 – like Wilson, Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III – was a once-in-a-generation occurrence. Rookie passers generally experience plenty of hardship before experiencing success.

If the Bucs have to go that route, it means Schiano would be coming off two seasons of subpar results after a 7-9 record in 2012. What are the odds of the record improving drastically with a young quarterback at the helm? And what are the odds of Schiano sticking around long enough to see that process through?

Schiano is a smart guy. He understands all of this. It’s why he was quick to point out that Bucs ownership isn’t married even to him. That’s another way of saying, if Schiano doesn’t get the job done, he knows they’ll find someone else who can.

But as it relates to Freeman, the Bucs have invested four years in him. They have seen shades of the exciting things he can do (though not consistently enough). And if they’re going to have success in the short term, it’s going to be largely because Freeman played lights out.

So, while Schiano often doesn’t sound like he’s all in with Freeman, the fact is Freeman’s performance will go a long way toward to determining Schiano’s future.

In that sense, the two are linked – or, if you prefer, married – whether Schiano thinks so or not.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #1 : March 22, 2013, 12:22:44 AM »

Sully's future rides on free as well. If he coaches him up, the HC doors will open up quickly.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #2 : March 22, 2013, 07:39:45 AM »

Everyone's does really. It is extremely hard to win a playoff game without a QB. Throwing 4 picks in a game makes it very hard to win. Truth is we could have made the playoffs last year. With better defense or a few less picks by my man Freeman.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #3 : March 22, 2013, 07:47:39 AM »

They are most definitely married. His regime wouldn't last through the developing of yet another rookie QB ....

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #4 : March 22, 2013, 09:21:19 AM »

Josh may be "married" to Dominick, but not Schiano.
    Hopefully the addition of McNulty as our QB coach will accelerate Josh's development.
« : March 22, 2013, 09:22:51 AM NotDeadYet »

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

« #5 : March 22, 2013, 09:43:38 AM »

Ok

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #6 : March 22, 2013, 11:08:10 AM »

I disagree. I think if Schiano can improve the pass defense to around #23 but Freeman continues his good QB/bad QB routine and the team decides to move on, Schiano will be given an opportunity to bring in his own QB and not expected to win right away. I believe if he goes at it with a rookie in 2014 and the team goes 5-11 or something, it won't be a dealbreaker and he'll see 2015.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
« #7 : March 22, 2013, 11:09:31 AM »

I disagree. I think if Schiano can improve the pass defense to around #23 but Freeman continues his good QB/bad QB routine and the team decides to move on, Schiano will be given an opportunity to bring in his own QB and not expected to win right away. I believe if he goes at it with a rookie in 2014 and the team goes 5-11 or something, it won't be a dealbreaker and he'll see 2015.
+1

ryan24

Hall of Famer

« #8 : March 22, 2013, 12:04:51 PM »

FRG....that's going to be real tough. That would mean the Bucs would have had losing seasons, likely, in 5 out of 6 seasons, have a new GM, and a completely disinterested fanbase....despite the fact that this would be hard to believe. He might survive that, but it would be tough.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #9 : March 22, 2013, 12:37:51 PM »

FRG....that's going to be real tough. That would mean the Bucs would have had losing seasons, likely, in 5 out of 6 seasons, have a new GM, and a completely disinterested fanbase....despite the fact that this would be hard to believe. He might survive that, but it would be tough.
1. When are you projecting the Bucs getting a new GM? In my scenario Dominik is able to survive moving on from Freeman so long as he demonstrates enough success with the rest of the roster.

2. I know consistent losing is a tough sell but sometimes a coach simply can't do better with what he has than losing. I think there are two main reasons you fire a coach: either the players quit on him or he has a lack of direction. If Freeman continues to be Freeman and the Bucs go 7-9, I can't really blame Schiano unless the defense continues to be atrocious. So if Freeman goes and the team starts a rookie in 2014 and has a losing record, is that really unexpected? I know that would mean three consecutive losing seasons for Schiano, but what more do you expect given the circumstances. I think since there is direction building with the rookie QB, you keep Schiano provided the rest of the team plays hard.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

« #10 : March 22, 2013, 12:58:26 PM »

1. When are you projecting the Bucs getting a new GM? In my scenario Dominik is able to survive moving on from Freeman so long as he demonstrates enough success with the rest of the roster.

2. I know consistent losing is a tough sell but sometimes a coach simply can't do better with what he has than losing. I think there are two main reasons you fire a coach: either the players quit on him or he has a lack of direction. If Freeman continues to be Freeman and the Bucs go 7-9, I can't really blame Schiano unless the defense continues to be atrocious. So if Freeman goes and the team starts a rookie in 2014 and has a losing record, is that really unexpected? I know that would mean three consecutive losing seasons for Schiano, but what more do you expect given the circumstances. I think since there is direction building with the rookie QB, you keep Schiano provided the rest of the team plays hard.

If they part ways with Freeman b/c we're 6-10/7-9/8-8 then Dom is history.  Schiano might get another year or two.  I can see that.  He got a five year deal and the Glazers probably won't repeat Gruden. 

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #11 : March 22, 2013, 01:06:45 PM »

No GM, well GM worth a damn, would want to take it or leave it on someone else's coach...especially a guy like Schiano who isn't a "name brand" that you think is a good NFL coach (actually leave out NFL qualifier because there's no real evidence he's a good college coach). If Dom goes so does Rutgers.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #12 : March 22, 2013, 01:13:49 PM »

If they part ways with Freeman b/c we're 6-10/7-9/8-8 then Dom is history.  Schiano might get another year or two.  I can see that.  He got a five year deal and the Glazers probably won't repeat Gruden.
We know from Doug Williams that Dominik was not the driver with the Freeman pick. While all picks ultimately fall on the GM, I think there's enough insulation that Dominik won't get fired solely for Freeman proving to be not worth an extension. For whatever Freeman's faults are, he's going to hold every team record after five years, so even if he's not worth extending, he's certainly not a bust nor a firable offense. It's not like he drafted Blaine Gabbert. If McCoy stays healthy and makes the Pro Bowl again, if Clayborn comes back and puts up 7-9 sacks, if Bowers comes on and gets 6-8 sacks, and if they make some strides in pass defense, Dominik can say he's done enough to keep going and try with a new QB.

GIJoeWasThere

Hall of Famer

« #13 : March 22, 2013, 01:19:29 PM »

FRG is correct as far as the entire team. Schiano isn't married to Freeman.

Your Daddy

Second String

« #14 : March 22, 2013, 01:22:58 PM »

I think what Schiano is basically saying is that he thinks Freeman CAN be great, but that he has to make it translate into production on the field.

Which is exactly where I am at with Freeman at this point. I think that, with a healthy Nicks and Josephy, Martin and Freeman will be very productive this season.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano claims that he’s not “married” to Freeman..... but in reality, he is. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools