Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How much can a man pay for a one night... « previous next »
Page: 1 2

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« : March 22, 2013, 04:49:14 PM »

Joe Biden's $585,000 hotel bill makes no sense
There's no way the vice president and his entourage could rack up those kinds of charges in Paris or London.
By Kim Peterson 45 minutes ago
Share39

Traveling with Vice President Joe Biden has its perks.

Just ask the large entourage that went with him on a recent trip to Paris. A blog with the conservative news magazine The Weekly Standard points to a government document showing a $585,000 contract for Biden's stay at the Intercontinental Paris Le Grand hotel.

Biden did spend an evening in Paris in early February, but there are no details in the document about whether this contract is accurate or what the final hotel bill came to. A standard room in the hotel costs about $475 a night, and the royal two-bedroom suite runs about $3,900 a night.

The Weekly Standard also points to another government contract for Biden's London hotel stay in early February. The contract, to the Hyatt Regency London, totaled $459,339. An associated document with that contract said it was for 136 rooms for 893 room nights.

But none of this makes sense. For 893 room nights, that would mean that the 136 rooms would be reserved for at least six nights each -- longer than Biden's entire five-day European visit.

So let's say that Biden also needed 136 rooms for his one-night stay in Paris. Even if every single room rang up the $3,900 nightly cost of the royal suite, the total still wouldn't meet the reported $585,000 contract cost.

Biden spent five days in Europe in early February in the first overseas trip of his second term. He started with a Feb. 1 visit with German Chancellor Angela Merkel in Berlin, spoke at a security conference in Munich on Feb. 2, visited wounded U.S. veterans at a German hospital on Feb. 3, met with French President Francois Hollande on Feb. 4 and finally met with British Prime Minister Cameron on Feb. 5.

Twitter was lit up Friday with people enraged by the spending listed in Biden's hotel contracts. The vice president's office could calm the waters by releasing the actual numbers showing what was spent. So far, though, his Twitter account and his spokespeople are mum.

Sequester this...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #1 : March 22, 2013, 05:30:35 PM »

I am thinking they would have taken an entire floor for security purposes. Then they would have had it for at least 2 or 3 days before hand so that it could be swept and cleared. As bad as it might sound and look, you might find that there is a logical explanation for it.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #2 : March 22, 2013, 06:25:11 PM »

There hasn't been a good explanation as of yet.  Even a floor for a week doesn't get you there.  It will be interesting IF an explanation is provided.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #3 : March 22, 2013, 06:55:35 PM »

disturbing what our government routinely spends - and don't tell me this just started recently and other administrations haven't had similar expenditures

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #4 : March 22, 2013, 10:35:45 PM »

Must be that day in the year - okay here we go.  You're not wrong Morgan

Hotel Contracts for Biden Trip to London, Paris Totaled $1 Million 

By Arlette Saenz

Mar 22, 2013 8:08pm
Vice President Joe Biden’s trip to Europe last month led to a hefty tab with over $1 million for hotels for himself, staff and security for two nights in London and Paris, government documents show.
As first reported by The Weekly Standard, documents show that the U.S. State Department obtained contracts with two five-star hotels in London and Paris where the vice president stayed for two nights during a five-day tour of Europe last month.

One contract was awarded to the Hyatt Regency London for a total of $459,338.65 while another went to the Hotel Intercontinental Paris Le Grand for $585,000.50
While the figure may be eye-popping, a State Department official said these costs are par for the course in high-level international trips as they also include accommodations for staff, security details and military personnel.

“These costs are nothing out of the ordinary. They are in line with high-level travel across multiple administrations,” the State Department official said.  ”The contract costs cover the entire range of support, including accommodations for military, communications, secret service staff, and other support professionals.  Security experts are also required to travel in advance of the president or vice president. Safety and security are not negotiable.”

A 1999 GAO report showed that trips President Bill Clinton took to Africa, Chile and China in 1998 cost $42.8 million, $10.5 million and $18.8 million, respectively – adding up to over $72 million. There were 1302 travelers to Africa, while 592 and 510 people were on the trips to Chile and China, respectively.

The White House normally does not disclose the amount paid for the vice president and president’s travel.  Last year, an Air Force official told ABC News that one hour of flying time aboard Air Force One totaled $179,750 in FY2012.

White House press secretary Jay Carney would not reveal how much the president’s day trip to Illinois earlier this month would cost when asked about it by ABC News’ White House correspondent Jonathan Karl.

“I don’t have a figure on the cost of presidential travel.  It is obviously something, as every president deals with because of security and staff, a significant undertaking,” Carney said. “But the president has to travel around the country.  He has to travel around the world.  That is part of his job.”

In an interview during the campaign last year, President Obama said the decisions about travel are not up to him when he was asked if he was out of touch with ordinary Americans when his family is “jetting around” on Air Force One.

“The fact of the matter is, I think if you look at my track record, I’m raising a family here. When we travel, we got to travel through Secret Service, and Air Force One, that’s not my choice. I think most folks understand how hard I work and how hard this administration is working on behalf of the American people,” Obama told KMOV of St Louis.

Even Barry is bristled on this topic - wonder what his travel cost are....  And I don't really care how much these bills have been in the past.  As long as we can't have tours of the White House - the Royals can considered themselves grounded. 

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #5 : April 03, 2013, 01:20:33 PM »

" I think most folks understand how hard I work and how hard this administration is working on behalf of the American people"

I must not be "most people" because I don't see that much "hard work". I kinda doubt this guy has EVER experienced "hard work". Did BHO ever work construction in the summer to earn money for college? Bus tables, wash dishes, deliver pizzas to 5th floor dorms w/no elevators? I'll tell you what, Mr. President; spend 2 weeks on a boat pulling shrimp nets or crab traps and watch as 1/3rd of your pay goes to taxes and then tell me about "hard work"

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #6 : April 03, 2013, 04:10:37 PM »

http://www.ntu.org/tax-basics/history-of-federal-individual-1.html

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #7 : April 03, 2013, 04:11:35 PM »

" I think most folks understand how hard I work and how hard this administration is working on behalf of the American people"

I must not be "most people" because I don't see that much "hard work". I kinda doubt this guy has EVER experienced "hard work". Did BHO ever work construction in the summer to earn money for college? Bus tables, wash dishes, deliver pizzas to 5th floor dorms w/no elevators? I'll tell you what, Mr. President; spend 2 weeks on a boat pulling shrimp nets or crab traps and watch as 1/3rd of your pay goes to taxes and then tell me about "hard work"

Manual labor isn't the only form of "hard work".

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #8 : April 05, 2013, 10:20:43 AM »

There hasn't been a good explanation as of yet.  Even a floor for a week doesn't get you there.  It will be interesting IF an explanation is provided.

Well I'm sure they did reserve a floor, i'm also sure they had a ton of extra staff on and special accomodations. Not justifying it, but when the pres or vice pres drives around he doesn't just jump into his car. He has a large detail of security and other things.

I guess the most ridiculous part is the fact that I'm not shocked by how much it cost.

dbuc, I'm sure no explanation will be given. They don't have to be accountable.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

« #9 : April 05, 2013, 11:59:18 AM »

Actually Spartan made a good point about security. This article is nothing but faulty journalism unless they are intentionally trying to get people upset by throwing out numbers. If they list numbers they should justify at least reasons why it costs so much. You know secret service usually patrols the area several days (for all we know) prior to Biden getting there. Since he is the Vice President I am sure they buy at least at a floor or two of rooms. I serious doubt they'll send him to a Motel 6 so it wouldn't surprise me if he stays at a hotel with an expensive rate. Factoring in the logistics to move people and equipment should drive up the costs too. Just saying the government spent whatever hundred thousand dollars doesn't paint a quarter of the picture.

McBarron

Pro Bowler

« #10 : April 05, 2013, 02:41:39 PM »

Great post.

gone

Hall of Famer
« #11 : April 05, 2013, 10:45:35 PM »

C'mon Stan.  it's hard work to keep a straight face when you know every word coming out of your mouth is a lie. 

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #12 : April 06, 2013, 11:46:34 AM »

I am thinking they would have taken an entire floor for security purposes. Then they would have had it for at least 2 or 3 days before hand so that it could be swept and cleared. As bad as it might sound and look, you might find that there is a logical explanation for it.

sounds about right to me

-------------------------------------------------------

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #13 : April 06, 2013, 10:19:51 PM »

how about a group discount or something?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #14 : April 07, 2013, 10:40:46 AM »

sounds about right to me
The Weekly Standard also points to another government contract for Biden's London hotel stay in early February. The contract, to the Hyatt Regency London, totaled $459,339. An associated document with that contract said it was for 136 rooms for 893 room nights.

But none of this makes sense. For 893 room nights, that would mean that the 136 rooms would be reserved for at least six nights each -- longer than Biden's entire five-day European visit.

Then break out your calculators....

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How much can a man pay for a one night... « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools