Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Make believe" Reality TV and its popularity? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 11

Runole

Hall of Famer
: March 23, 2013, 08:19:16 AM

It truly baffles me at the overall popularity of these shows that are as phony as a three dollar bill yet continue to flourish with outstanding viewership. Is the overall popularity due to the declining intellect of the US population that truly lacks the discernment to see how contrived these shows are, or is it a deeper psychological issue of incredibly low self esteem that allows the viewer feel good about themselves as they watch the reality? performers show the world how stupid they can be? 

Is this just the next phase following the  popularity of shows a few years ago like JackA## etc.?   

Anyone wish to share opinion on why people actually wish to make "Celebrity Stars" out of these people? 

I was listening to the radio and the Hard Rock Cafe was inviting people to an autograph session to meet the 4 members of Pawn Stars! WTF?  unbelievable!   

Actually, that show is one of the lesser reality ones in that it only shows how proprietors of a pawn shop screw customers out of property by offering mostly 1/3 or less of what an item is actually worth.

Regardless those (4) consider themselves absolute celebrities that the country worships which apparently they do?

I guess my experience as a  Camera operator for TV shows just jades me completely on these make believe reality shows where conflicts are staged for the audience.

It really saddens me that so many in our current society adore such shows that are so contrived and phony. TV fare just gets more pathetic every year. 

Does anyone else find themselves watching less and less TV whose programming either sucks or has so many commercials that it essentially unwatchable unless you can skip the commercials?

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 23, 2013, 08:29:00 AM

Bread and Circuses.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#2 : March 23, 2013, 05:12:49 PM

You mean television is not all real?  Television shows actually make things up?   Television contrived and phony?  Stop the presses.   

Thank goodness runatroll is back.  Laughing at vinnie peanut butter and cbw the spin meister has grown kind of boring.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 23, 2013, 05:36:34 PM

Those scripted or fake reality shows are lame.  I like the real ones like Amish Mafia  and The Devils Ride.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#4 : March 23, 2013, 07:13:27 PM

You mean television is not all real?  Television shows actually make things up?   Television contrived and phony?  Stop the presses.   

Thank goodness runatroll is back.  Laughing at vinnie peanut butter and cbw the spin meister has grown kind of boring.
''

As usual PR's village idiot tries to be funny but fails miserably or perhaps this is Olaf's way of stating he thinks these reality shows are quality programming.

Sorry you are so offended by me making light of your favorite TV fare.

Honey BOO BOO!  Is that you:?    :P

Runole

Hall of Famer
#5 : March 23, 2013, 07:29:34 PM

Those scripted or fake reality shows are lame. 

Glad you feel that way there may be hope for America after all.  The problem is they are all contrived conflict that is totally staged for the camera. BUT BUT BUT OLAF says they are real! LOL

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#6 : March 23, 2013, 08:38:05 PM

Those scripted or fake reality shows are lame.  I like the real ones like Amish Mafia  and The Devils Ride.

YES!!!!

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#7 : March 23, 2013, 08:39:55 PM

Glad you feel that way there may be hope for America after all.  The problem is they are all contrived conflict that is totally staged for the camera. BUT BUT BUT OLAF says they are real! LOL

Hey maybe you can start a thread complaining about water being wet .......   then you can learn how to use the quote function

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#8 : March 23, 2013, 08:41:38 PM

it's a beautiful life

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#9 : March 23, 2013, 08:43:01 PM

sweet now vinny peanuts chimes in, if we can get cbw in here we cam laugh at all three in one thread

Runole

Hall of Famer
#10 : March 24, 2013, 12:36:45 PM

Hey maybe you can start a thread complaining about water being wet .......   then you can learn how to use the quote function

YES, TV programming is of as high quality as it has ever been! :-[   Thanks again for showing you continue to have less intellect than god gave a pea.  :-* Since you contribute nothing to the question why are you even on this thread? ;D

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#11 : March 24, 2013, 08:56:38 PM

It truly baffles me at the overall popularity of these shows that are as phony as a three dollar bill yet continue to flourish with outstanding viewership.

verrrrrrrrrry intellectual post

keep 'em coming

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#12 : March 24, 2013, 11:21:23 PM

It truly baffles me at the overall popularity of these shows that are as phony as a three dollar bill yet continue to flourish with outstanding viewership. Is the overall popularity due to the declining intellect of the US population that truly lacks the discernment to see how contrived these shows are, or is it a deeper psychological issue of incredibly low self esteem that allows the viewer feel good about themselves as they watch the reality? performers show the world how stupid they can be? 

Is this just the next phase following the  popularity of shows a few years ago like JackA## etc.?   

Anyone wish to share opinion on why people actually wish to make "Celebrity Stars" out of these people? 

I was listening to the radio and the Hard Rock Cafe was inviting people to an autograph session to meet the 4 members of Pawn Stars! WTF?  unbelievable!   

Actually, that show is one of the lesser reality ones in that it only shows how proprietors of a pawn shop screw customers out of property by offering mostly 1/3 or less of what an item is actually worth.

Regardless those (4) consider themselves absolute celebrities that the country worships which apparently they do?

I guess my experience as a  Camera operator for TV shows just jades me completely on these make believe reality shows where conflicts are staged for the audience.

It really saddens me that so many in our current society adore such shows that are so contrived and phony. TV fare just gets more pathetic every year. 

Does anyone else find themselves watching less and less TV whose programming either sucks or has so many commercials that it essentially unwatchable unless you can skip the commercials?

UFO Joe used to film that Pawn Stars, not sure if he still does though.  That one dude on one of those Storage Locker shows, came out a month or so ago, sayin they plant items ahead of time. That got his azz canned.  Like that was a big secret?

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 24, 2013, 11:43:35 PM

They're dirt cheap to make compared to actual shows with actors so they will roll on and on and on and even lowish rating can still be a win.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Escobar06

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 25, 2013, 12:51:23 AM

The only reality show I like is Big Brother, and that's because there is a bit of strategy involved and live feeds. With the live feeds you don't have to accept the heavily edited nonsense the producers want you to see, you can actually see what happens yourself. Having said that, it's no secret production steps in at times to provide "twists" or practically forces people to vote certain ways to save popular contestants to protect their ratings, I've heard contestants say as much in interviews and even on the live feeds during the season.

Other than that I agree, reality TV is straight trash.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Make believe" Reality TV and its popularity? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools