Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Good article on the Bucs run defense « previous next »
Page: 1

YReceiver14

Starter

« : March 24, 2013, 10:28:57 AM »

Nice read breaking down the run defense.  Too many pictures to post here:

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/3/22/4101768/analyzing-the-defense-part-1-the-run

I thought the blitz-slant-contain combo that was referenced was interesting, especially as I think it's only marginally effective as a pass-rush generator.

“Before you can be labeled elite, you’ve got to get a lot closer to having rings.”  --Josh Freeman, May 2012

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #1 : March 24, 2013, 10:43:34 AM »

Miller can be replaced but the Bucs need to make an effort to do so.  Gibson was good in spurts last season, but I am not sure he can do it for the long haul as a day one starter. 

YReceiver14

Starter

« #2 : March 24, 2013, 10:49:35 AM »

Miller can be replaced but the Bucs need to make an effort to do so.  Gibson was good in spurts last season, but I am not sure he can do it for the long haul as a day one starter.

Many mocks are showing Star Lotulelei falling to us.  Perhaps that's the reason Dominik is hanging on to the 13th pick?

While the shaded nose in this D doesn't seem to be involved in pass rush, it also seems that it's more complex than the typical 3-4 space filler.  I wonder if Schiano wants a premium talent at the position.

“Before you can be labeled elite, you’ve got to get a lot closer to having rings.”  --Josh Freeman, May 2012

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

« #3 : March 24, 2013, 10:53:04 AM »

GM's don't plan around who's available in round 1 of the draft unless they are picking number 1. It's too speculative.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #4 : March 24, 2013, 10:54:42 AM »

Defensive tackle play isn't so simple, which is why Miller at times early in his career was on roller skates. But having Miller play a shaded nose indeed did resolve the lolrollerskates issue as it played more to his strengths.   I don't think the Bucs need to drop a first to find a DT capable of playing a shaded nose (lots of DT's that are a fit for the scheme), but they can't expect to go into the next season with Gibson as the starter either.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
« #5 : March 24, 2013, 01:36:30 PM »

Lietui
Rhodes
Honey Badger

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

« #6 : March 24, 2013, 01:51:03 PM »

Defensive tackle play isn't so simple, which is why Miller at times early in his career was on roller skates. But having Miller play a shaded nose indeed did resolve the lolrollerskates issue as it played more to his strengths.   I don't think the Bucs need to drop a first to find a DT capable of playing a shaded nose (lots of DT's that are a fit for the scheme), but they can't expect to go into the next season with Gibson as the starter either.

There are a few people on this board that say don't replace XYZ until you have something better.  I wonder where they're at because they have been noticeably silent on some moves.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

« #7 : March 24, 2013, 04:50:47 PM »

There are a few people on this board that say don't replace XYZ until you have something better.  I wonder where they're at because they have been noticeably silent on some moves.

Why would they? Its fa and those players are already gone. Were not talking about cutting or trading a player. Most the conversations that revolved around keeping a guy until you have a replacement, were regarding cuts/trades. Guys that hit fa arent on the team. How do you keep them until theres a replacement if they are already gone?

If you paid attention at all to anything other than your own agendas, you wouldve seen quite a few people wanting to bring back miller, bennett, and a couple others. But thats not the same as your teeble attempt to call people out is it?

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Good article on the Bucs run defense « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools