Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Once again message board GMs had no clue. Bennett is injured! « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16

DeadmenTNT

Starter
« #120 : September 24, 2013, 10:49:10 AM »

Well he ended up signing for one year at $5M.....so it is reasonable to think we could have got him for a reasonable price if we had sat down with him and actually tried. We simply decided Bowers was our man and Bennett wasn't worth the time or money without ever even making an effort.

These quotes from Bennett would seem to suggest that (a) he and the Bucs were indeed "negotiating" and that (b) he seemed
to think he should be getting something far north of what he got from the Hags.

http://bucsscene.blogs.theledger.com/13845/tampa-bay-free-agent-defensive-end-michael-bennett-wants-the-love/

"Michael Bennett has never been an actor. But the defensive end and Cuba Gooding Jr., who played football player Rod Tidwell in the movie “Jerry McGuire” have on thing in common, both want to get paid.

Bennett, who led the Tampa Bay Bucs with nine sacks in 2012, is on the verge to seeing that happen.

On Tuesday at 4 p.m., Bennett will be able to sign with any team he chooses.

While he said he would want to remain in red and pewter, Bennett said the Bucs have to “show him the money.”

“We’re still talking,” Bennett told radio station 98.7 FM on Monday. “I put everything in playing for the Bucs and done everything, overachieved in everything they asked me to do. I came in undrafted, started, had 13 sacks, mostly played behind the line of scrimmage. I just want to be compensated properly for what I did. Hopefully I can be back with the Bucs but I’m not sure if that’s going to happen or not right now.”

Sounds like the Bucs were keenly aware of Bennett's "asking price" and keenly intent on not paying it.

Doctor StrangeJosh or How I Stopped Caring About Completion Pct and Learned to Love the Bomb - J C DeLatorre

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #121 : September 24, 2013, 10:56:37 AM »

First Bennett said this.....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/11/michael-bennett-says-hell-give-bucs-chance-to-match-offers/

“I’ll give the Bucs the chance to match any offer I get,” Bennett said. “I love the Bucs and want to finish [my career] here.”

Then, when asked if he would let the Bucs match the Seahawks offer he said this....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000151247/article/michael-bennett-puzzled-by-tampa-bay-buccaneers

"They acted like they didn't want me, so no, I didn't go back to them," Bennett told Tampa Tribune reporter Roy Cummings on Friday. "I just didn't feel any love from them at all. And that's kind of disappointing, because for a team that you put everything you had into for four years to do that, you're just kind of, 'OK, whatever.'

"You do everything you can to grow as a player and get better as a player and you prove yourself over and over again for them, but I guess that's just who they are."

Seems pretty obvious that the bucs showed zero interest in him.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #122 : September 24, 2013, 11:01:14 AM »

Also, if you think back, the big rumor all offseason was about how Michael Bennett's brother Marcelius Bennett wanted to come play with him. If we had kept Mike, we'd probably have a very solid Tight End right now too. Most likely could of had both guys for $5M per year each....and we'd be a much better team right now.

Marcelius has 12 catches for 135 yards and 3 TDs through the first three games, and PFF ranks him as a top run blocker.

But I know. I am just being a know it all Message Board GM. These ideas are crazy and the Bucs regime knows best. They are still enacting their secret plan that the rest of us are too simple to understand or comprehend.
« : September 24, 2013, 11:05:07 AM JDouble »

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #123 : September 24, 2013, 11:16:36 AM »

Marty-B wasn't leaving Chi-town, IMO.

But no doubt that we shoulda made more of an effort to keep our own Bennett.

DeadmenTNT

Starter
« #124 : September 24, 2013, 11:17:55 AM »

C'mon JDouble, a one year $5 mil deal is not 'showing him the money" or the "love". No effing way he resigns here on a one year deal for $5 mil after we gave the likes of Clayton and Trueblood long term deals with $10 mil guaranteed. Even Zuttah got $8 mil guaranteed with his long term deal.

The only thing that all this proves is that Bennett and the Bucs had far different perceptions of his present and future value. Nothing more.

Doctor StrangeJosh or How I Stopped Caring About Completion Pct and Learned to Love the Bomb - J C DeLatorre

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #125 : September 24, 2013, 11:18:46 AM »

I think if Mike had already been resigned by the Bucs, Marty B would have never gone to Chi-town. He made it pretty clear he wanted to play with his bother if possible.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #126 : September 24, 2013, 11:20:02 AM »

C'mon JDouble, a one year $5 mil deal is not 'showing him the money" or the "love". No effing way he resigns here on a one year deal for $5 mil after we gave the likes of Clayton and Trueblood long term deals with $10 mil guaranteed. Even Zuttah got $8 mil guaranteed with his long term deal.

The only thing that all this proves is that Bennett and the Bucs had far different perceptions of his present and future value. Nothing more.

I never said anything like that. But it does show that we could have probably got him for something like a 4 year $20M deal with $10 guaranteed.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #127 : September 24, 2013, 11:22:07 AM »

http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/654/carroll-says-bennett-is-better-than-expected?src=mobile

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #128 : September 24, 2013, 11:36:28 AM »

http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/654/carroll-says-bennett-is-better-than-expected?src=mobile
What does Pete Carroll know about coaching?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

DeadmenTNT

Starter
« #129 : September 24, 2013, 12:23:26 PM »

Don't know if you guys actually read the article, but it's not exactly a 100% glowing scouting report, thus perhaps explaining why Bennett
is working on a one year prove-it deal.

"He had shown versatility to play inside and outside, but I didn’t appreciate how constant he is effort-wise. I didn’t have that sense about him watching him on film."   So, he's playing harder this year than his past game tape would indicate. That's a good thing, if you're a Seahawk fan. Not so much for the Bucs and their fans.

"He’s not the fastest guy, but it’s that anticipation that he has that makes him special."  Yes, it took him a few Offsides and Neutral Zone infractions while he was a Buc before he got that "anticipation" down pat.

“He’s a risk-taker on some of his rushes,” Carroll said. “But with good guys around him it, allows him to take some chances. He’ll make some mistakes at times, but he’ll also make some huge plays. He has demonstrated that he can do a lot of stuff.”  Some good, some bad.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #130 : September 24, 2013, 12:28:07 PM »

Meanwhile...DTN and DQB do next to nothing.

Face it, it was a bad move. On so many levels it is borderline absurd, definitely stupid.

DeadmenTNT

Starter
« #131 : September 24, 2013, 12:36:43 PM »

I never said anything like that. But it does show that we could have probably got him for something like a 4 year $20M deal with $10 guaranteed.

Remind me not to hire you as my selling agent for my house. My point is that the $10 mil g'teed is the floor in this negotiation. And I'm only doing that deal after I check out other bids. My "asking price" is closer to the ceiling set by Jackson, Nicks, and Wright.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #132 : September 24, 2013, 12:41:29 PM »

Don't know if you guys actually read the article, but it's not exactly a 100% glowing scouting report, thus perhaps explaining why Bennett
is working on a one year prove-it deal.

"Bennett is better than expected" = not a glowing scouting report.

Whatever makes you people feel better about the team not making good personnel decisions.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #133 : September 24, 2013, 12:46:31 PM »

It's a shame our DL doesn't get to face Chad henne and the jags.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #134 : September 24, 2013, 12:47:46 PM »

It's a shame our DL doesn't get to face Chad henne and the jags.

Yeah, they only got to play a second round QB playing in his very first NFL game.

Page: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Once again message board GMs had no clue. Bennett is injured! « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools