Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Once again message board GMs had no clue. Bennett is injured! « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16

Hate

Hall of Famer
#90 : March 25, 2013, 11:08:19 PM

I think its funny that many people consider Bennett as the Bucs best pass rusher based on sack total only. First off, I think McCoy and Clayborn are the Bucs pass rushers. McCoy drew tons of attention and still had a good year for a DT regardless of sacks. Whos to benefit most from that? Bennett. Bennett was drawing Rts and TEs all year yet put up marginal numbers. teams have been able to target McCoy and Clayborn and its showed. Both have played well, but haven't been able to rack up the sack numbers and have both been the targets of protection by opposing offenses. Clayborn going out this year and McCoy playing DT have seem to have crowned Bennett by default.

Clayborn put up comparable numbers as a rook going up against a generally better athlete week in and out at LT as opposed to RT. Add in McCoy and Clayborn have generally drawn more attention, Bennett should have been putting up better numbers.

Bennett is average. Great against the run and average against the pass. the Bucs aren't losing much in the pass rush department losing Bennett. In the run game that's a different story. if anyones view reflects that, I have to respect it. Considering him as  a pass rusher is just silly though. Does anyone really think a LE run defender with adequate pass rushing is worth multiple years at over $5 mil? in 30 games over the last 2 years Bennett has 13 sacks. that's about 1 every 3 games yet guys are acting like he had the production of Ray Edwards(whos overrated) and should've been locked up.

Clayborn in his 19 games has 7.5 sacks and close to 1 every 2 games playing a more difficult position by most standards. hell, in 21 games, McCoy has 9 sacks at a position that the elite generally only hit 5 or 6 a full year. basin the measurements of basic averages and position totals, McCoy and Clayborn out perform Bennett.

The biggest loss with Bennett is his run support. the same could be said for Miller. The Bucs had a top run though and its likely that the staff think that assignments and execution led to that over Miller and Bennetts skills. I don't think anyone could really argue that fact given the result they've had the few years prior to schiano.

Is it a loss? yes to some extent....mostly in the run game. Can that production be replaced? IMO, yes it can and moderately easily.  don't think they've addressed that issue yet, but its weeks from the draft and FA isn't really winding down until week 1. If that production hasn't been replaced on paper by then, feel free to freak out. I also realize uncertainty about clayborn after his injury plays some part, but his effort or heart has never been an issue and one can only assume hell do everything he can to be as close to 100% by the start of the season as possible.

The Bennett loss means very little IMO as long as the find someone whos capable of being a #3...maybe a #2 DE if injuries present itself. beyond that, Bennett was marginal. Same can be said for Miller IMO. His new found resurrection was because of scheme more than talent IMO, They bring the NT to do everything he can to disrupt the LG and C and try to force them into leaving McCoy in 1 on 1s. Even with a scheme geared to that, McCoy saw way more attention than he should with a tilted nose next to him. So why Miller was improved and the run d was tops, Miller wasn't effecting the matchups as much as he should have.

believe me, Im concerned with what/who they are going to field, but its far from the time to worry or trip out.

This^^^^^^ You don't pay five million a year for a backup DE.
Send an email to the Seahawks - they seem to disagree

When your franchise QB is only making $500k, you can invest in other areas.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#91 : March 26, 2013, 12:00:57 AM

I think its funny that many people consider Bennett as the Bucs best pass rusher based on sack total only. First off, I think McCoy and Clayborn are the Bucs pass rushers. McCoy drew tons of attention and still had a good year for a DT regardless of sacks. Whos to benefit most from that? Bennett. Bennett was drawing Rts and TEs all year yet put up marginal numbers. teams have been able to target McCoy and Clayborn and its showed. Both have played well, but haven't been able to rack up the sack numbers and have both been the targets of protection by opposing offenses. Clayborn going out this year and McCoy playing DT have seem to have crowned Bennett by default.

Clayborn put up comparable numbers as a rook going up against a generally better athlete week in and out at LT as opposed to RT. Add in McCoy and Clayborn have generally drawn more attention, Bennett should have been putting up better numbers.

Bennett is average. Great against the run and average against the pass. the Bucs aren't losing much in the pass rush department losing Bennett. In the run game that's a different story. if anyones view reflects that, I have to respect it. Considering him as  a pass rusher is just silly though. Does anyone really think a LE run defender with adequate pass rushing is worth multiple years at over $5 mil? in 30 games over the last 2 years Bennett has 13 sacks. that's about 1 every 3 games yet guys are acting like he had the production of Ray Edwards(whos overrated) and should've been locked up.

Clayborn in his 19 games has 7.5 sacks and close to 1 every 2 games playing a more difficult position by most standards. hell, in 21 games, McCoy has 9 sacks at a position that the elite generally only hit 5 or 6 a full year. basin the measurements of basic averages and position totals, McCoy and Clayborn out perform Bennett.

The biggest loss with Bennett is his run support. the same could be said for Miller. The Bucs had a top run though and its likely that the staff think that assignments and execution led to that over Miller and Bennetts skills. I don't think anyone could really argue that fact given the result they've had the few years prior to schiano.

Is it a loss? yes to some extent....mostly in the run game. Can that production be replaced? IMO, yes it can and moderately easily.  don't think they've addressed that issue yet, but its weeks from the draft and FA isn't really winding down until week 1. If that production hasn't been replaced on paper by then, feel free to freak out. I also realize uncertainty about clayborn after his injury plays some part, but his effort or heart has never been an issue and one can only assume hell do everything he can to be as close to 100% by the start of the season as possible.

The Bennett loss means very little IMO as long as the find someone whos capable of being a #3...maybe a #2 DE if injuries present itself. beyond that, Bennett was marginal. Same can be said for Miller IMO. His new found resurrection was because of scheme more than talent IMO, They bring the NT to do everything he can to disrupt the LG and C and try to force them into leaving McCoy in 1 on 1s. Even with a scheme geared to that, McCoy saw way more attention than he should with a tilted nose next to him. So why Miller was improved and the run d was tops, Miller wasn't effecting the matchups as much as he should have.

believe me, Im concerned with what/who they are going to field, but its far from the time to worry or trip out.

This^^^^^^ You don't pay five million a year for a backup DE.
Send an email to the Seahawks - they seem to disagree

When your franchise QB is only making $500k, you can invest in other areas.
A franchise qb based upon one year?  I think I have heard that song before here in Tampa and recall laughing.  And for the record they have more then two DEs.  Handy - I am thinking the bucs will be spending more on DEs and CBs before they are successful.  And if the bucs get those spots filled, they will struggle with cap - as do all good teams. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#92 : September 24, 2013, 08:01:05 AM

Hmmm....2.5 sacks and a FF through three games. Good thing we let him walk and went with Bowers. That rotator cuff is killing him!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#93 : September 24, 2013, 08:05:50 AM

The Bucs raised him well. Led the team in sacks, the league in TFL, played through injury, and then...

We let him fly the coop because some said, "Trust me."

Coach and GM letdown. Bad bad decision.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#94 : September 24, 2013, 08:07:04 AM

Hmmm....2.5 sacks and a FF through three games. Good thing we let him walk and went with Bowers. That rotator cuff is killing him!

And we're top 5 in the NFL in sacks against two elite QBs who are known for not taking sacks. Just not missing him right now. Let's be a little objective and give a few more games before we declare him missed or not.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

CaptainStagger

Hall of Famer
#95 : September 24, 2013, 08:12:51 AM

Are some of you really **CENSORED**ing about the pass rush......really??????

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#96 : September 24, 2013, 08:13:37 AM

And we're top 5 in the NFL in sacks against two elite QBs who are known for not taking sacks. Just not missing him right now. Let's be a little objective and give a few more games before we declare him missed or not.

Our linebackers are racking up sacks. We only have 4.5 from our d-line. 2.5 from Clayborn, 1 from McCoy, and one from Akeem. Those three have all been getting after it and causing disruption. Adrian has a FF and they have all had stuffs and hurries.

Over at LDE though....DTN, Bowers, and Trevor Scott have all been invisible.

* DTN did have one fluke sack on Geno Smith in week one. Other than that, he has been non existent.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#97 : September 24, 2013, 08:15:01 AM

True BucNY ....we don't miss him right now ....in fact our pass rush is ten times better than last season. 

So , dredging this crap up AGAIN is kind of pointless at this point in time....maybe later .

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#98 : September 24, 2013, 08:16:50 AM

Yeah I'm bringing it up because you still have people saying it was the right thing to do and Schiano knows best. It's bullsh!t. It was a stupid **CENSORED**ing move. One of many recently.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#99 : September 24, 2013, 08:17:30 AM

Losing Bennett sucks. Period.

If we resigned him the pass rush would be a holy terror.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#100 : September 24, 2013, 08:21:41 AM

Maybe it was, but that move is on Dummynik not Schiano. Bowers is HIS guy.

.... and , besides , we aren't losing games because of lack of pass rush . We are losing them because of offensive ineptitude.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#101 : September 24, 2013, 08:22:15 AM

Wow, Bschucher must feel stupid.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#102 : September 24, 2013, 08:24:23 AM

An extra pass rusher that produces, will make a large impact. Bennett can get a QB off his landmark. DTN and DQB can't.

Holy terror I tell ya!

Management/coaches blew it.

S's new catchphrase? 

"Trust me."

Pffff...

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#103 : September 24, 2013, 08:29:09 AM

Are some of you really **CENSORED**ing about the pass rush......really??????

We have the 16th ranked defense. Maybe that is good enough for you, but I'd like to think we can do better. If we had Bennett on the left end, we would be. Instead of being surprisingly good....we might be down right dominant. Plus, we'd have a more talented roster to hand our next coach. Instead, we just have another hole that the next guy will have to fill.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#104 : September 24, 2013, 08:44:27 AM

Wow, Bschucher must feel stupid.
Once again message board GMs had no clue.  Bennett is injured!

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Once again message board GMs had no clue. Bennett is injured! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools