Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why I am confused. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

#15 : March 25, 2013, 12:17:46 PM

It would be interesting to look around the league and see if there's a team out there without a legit starter at as many positions as the Bucs do at the moment. Right now 2 CBs, SAM and NT are beyond the "two guys competing" stage and really need to be filled.

this would be interesting, and hopefully someone has the time to check. If found, I would doubt they are all on the same side of the ball too.

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#16 : March 25, 2013, 12:21:58 PM

Nothing I can add here that hasn't been already said...I'm just here for the thoughtful rebuttals.

\"I seen his aura or whatever...I seen it...it\'s orange...\"
- Un-named source on Lovie Smith

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#17 : March 25, 2013, 12:24:40 PM

Normally when someone is confused, it's because they don't have all the facts.

As fans this offseason, we are all in that boat.   (We have needs to fill a roster and they are not doing it.)

Leads me to believe that for whatever reasons, there is already a plan being executed and we won't get to find out what that is until they are ready to let us know.

It's a tough nut to crack for most, But we are going to have to patient.

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

STULAAKE

Hall of Famer

#18 : March 25, 2013, 12:25:24 PM

I disagree with your take that the Bucs need a backup RB.  I believe DJ Ware could and can handle those duties.  I also believe Casillas is the addition to address the LB position.  Based on their lack of attention this offseason to the OL, it seems to me that this FO disagrees with your assessment that the depth at that position is "awful."

However, your other takes re:  the CB position and the DL position I would agree with.  I believe both of those areas can and will be addressed in the draft.  Therefore, your opinion that this front office should be sniffing around the remaining FA's I think has been happening, but this regime probably feels that a rookie on a 3, 4, or 5 year deal is better long term for this team than a veteran on a 1 year deal at those positions.
: March 25, 2013, 12:28:40 PM STULAAKE

You must be accountable for your actions!

Al Bundy

Pro Bowler

#19 : March 25, 2013, 12:31:35 PM

As far as the depth at DE, I am starting to think that Schiano and the guys think Aaron Morgan is that depth. I could be wrong.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#20 : March 25, 2013, 12:35:04 PM

JD,

Just guessing at some of the answers, but I think the current plan is to keep our draft choices for this year and still get Revis for next years 1 and 2.

Draft either a DT (Star?) or a DE (Ansah?) with the first pick addressing our need on the line.

Use our 2nd pick on a CB to start in the secondary.

With our 3rd and two 4ths, we have the ability to move up and get someone in the 1st round if necessary. Use two of the picks to address LB depth, TE or OL.

If we don't fill those needs prior to the draft, a number of the players you mentioned will probably still be available post draft.

So I'm not worried, a bit apprehensive perhaps, but I don't see the need to sign players today.

JMO.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#21 : March 25, 2013, 12:35:19 PM

Normally when someone is confused, it's because they don't have all the facts.

As fans this offseason, we are all in that boat.   (We have needs to fill a roster and they are not doing it.)

Leads me to believe that for whatever reasons, there is already a plan being executed and we won't get to find out what that is until they are ready to let us know.

It's a tough nut to crack for most, But we are going to have to patient.

I'd hope there's a plan in place. The question really is "is it a good plan?" and that remains to be seen.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#22 : March 25, 2013, 12:44:07 PM

JDouble, great post. I completely agree.
Color me confused as to why we have STARTING POSITIONS on this team that remain open and we are not looking to fill them. DT, SAM, and CB1 & 2....who's starting here? You can't pencil in 3rd and 4th round draft picks as starters.

That is how I see it. I mean if a rookie or some unknown scrub on our roster earns the starting job in camp and preseason.....awesome! But shouldn't we at least be getting some cheap, solid, experienced vets at those positions in case nobody steps up and earns that start?

Draft Aaron Donald

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#23 : March 25, 2013, 12:53:38 PM

I disagree with your take that the Bucs need a backup RB.  I believe DJ Ware could and can handle those duties.  I also believe Casillas is the addition to address the LB position.  Based on their lack of attention this offseason to the OL, it seems to me that this FO disagrees with your assessment that the depth at that position is "awful."

I think the OL has depth but is weak at RT at the moment. Had or if the team gets around to filling some of the starting jobs still without a nominee we may see this addressed in the draft and possibly fairly high.

Casillas has been a fairly low level player during his career and is more of a WILL than SAM. So I'm not sure he's the answer other than for STs.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#24 : March 25, 2013, 01:03:23 PM

Color me confused as to why we have STARTING POSITIONS on this team that remain open and we are not looking to fill them. DT, SAM, and CB1 & 2....who's starting here? You can't pencil in 3rd and 4th round draft picks as starters.

i might disagree to an extent.  the SAM is barely on the field.  we certainly didnt miss QBlack last year, did we?  the DT?  Bucs fans hated roy miller...maybe its not so difficult to play the NT in schianos scheme.  the CB's yes, but i thnk its fairly obvious we are going after revis, and with him the need for #2 is lowered imo.

i think everyone would have loved for us to have our roster filled already.  but i dont believe we are in as bad as shape as many peg us to be.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#25 : March 25, 2013, 01:08:07 PM

i might disagree to an extent.  the SAM is barely on the field.  we certainly didnt miss QBlack last year, did we?  the DT?  Bucs fans hated roy miller...maybe its not so difficult to play the NT in schianos scheme.  the CB's yes, but i thnk its fairly obvious we are going after revis, and with him the need for #2 is lowered imo.

i think everyone would have loved for us to have our roster filled already.  but i dont believe we are in as bad as shape as many peg us to be.

With the SAM debate, it kinda a chicken/egg thing. Is the Sam unimportant because ours suck? Or do ours suck because it isn't important?

Something tells me if we had a Elvis Dumervil type guy playing SAM and he was getting lots of pressure and sacks, the SAM position could play a pretty big role. I mean, it's not like we don't blitz the SAM often....we do. We just don't have anyone that can get to the QB so we end up playing defense with 10 guys because Black/Watson/Heyward are being swallowed by an offensive lineman and have no effect on the play.

Draft Aaron Donald

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#26 : March 25, 2013, 01:13:49 PM

I will stick with my theory I proposed in the Revis thread:

I think the pursuit of Revis has frozen all other monetary commitments due to how much he'll command in salary plus the knowledge of future salaries that need to be done. The Bucs may want to sign Grimes, for instance, but can't move until they know whether they're going to be paying Revis. I know the Bucs have 28 million dollars in space and Revis is going to "only" cost 15 million, and there are players whose numbers will come off the cap, but I just don't think they're doing anything until they know if they have that money committed to Revis.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#27 : March 25, 2013, 01:18:38 PM

I think we all have these same questions, but as you listed in your post there's still a ton of these guys out here that can fill these positions of need. I know we're all still patiently waiting on the Revis trade, but in the end I think we basically know that he's gonna be Buc....we just don't know when it's gonna officially happen. Now we definitely need to have another corner or two that are pretty talented because they're gonna get thrown on a **CENSORED** ton just like Cromartie has over the years on the Jets. Tracy Porter or Grimes plus a rookie somewhere in the first 3 rounds would be a good solution for that.

Definitely need a SAM backer and some type of solution to who we want at RT for the long run. I'd also LOVE to bring in Peyton Hillis. Fans would go nuts again seeing a guy like Alstott back in our stable...and I think Schiano is probably a big fan of his as well. If we had Martin, Hillis and Ware I would be more than satisfied with our depth at that position.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#28 : March 25, 2013, 01:26:26 PM

This idea that the Revis trade is all but done is hilarious to me, but let's not turn this into yet another Revis thread. Fact is he is NOT a Buccaneer, so making plans based on an assumption that he will be would be incredibly stupid. I think/hope Dom is smarter than that. You have to cover your bases and if it happens then great, but you can't leave yourself completely **CENSORED**ed if it doesn't.

Draft Aaron Donald

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#29 : March 25, 2013, 01:47:25 PM

I'm not trying to turn this into a Revis thread, but in order to discuss the inactivity, I think Revis needs to be part of the discussion. I believe that the next signing the Bucs make will be a sign that they have removed themselves from negotiating for Revis. I believe that they currently aren't pursuing guys like Abraham or Freeney or whoever people think they should pursue because in doing so, they'd have to stop pursuing Revis and right now, they don't want to stop pursuing Revis. I think that all of it is connected and that it's because of the salary cap, that they're at a fork in the road in terms of how to proceed.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why I am confused. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools