Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A current NFL player considering comming out gay within the next few months « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 13

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

: March 25, 2013, 01:50:24 PM

Based on interviews over the past several weeks with current and former players, I'm told that a current gay NFL player is strongly considering coming out publicly within the next few months -- and after doing so, the player would attempt to continue his career.

I'm told this player feels the time is now for someone to take this step -- despite homophobic remarks from San Francisco 49ers defensive back Chris Culliver and the controversy arising recently at the Indianapolis Scouting combine, when prospects were asked questions about their sexuality.

This player's true concern, I'm told, is not the reaction inside an NFL locker room but outside of it. The player fears he will suffer serious harm from homophobic fans, and that is the only thing preventing him from coming out. My sources will not say who this alleged player is.

There has never been an active openly gay player in a major American team sport, but the information I've gathered on the player in question comes from several current and former players.

"I honestly think the players of the NFL have been ready for an openly gay player for quite some time now," said Fujita, a free agent linebacker who has played for the Chiefs, Cowboys, Saints and Browns. "Trust me, the coming out of a player would create much bigger waves outside the locker room than inside. The way I've seen the conversation around LGBT issues evolve, especially in the past few years, has been encouraging. Guys are more accepting than they used to be. Even those who raise personal objections to homosexuality, some of whom are good friends of mine, would still be able to coexist and accept a gay teammate."

Over the past few days there's been a flurry of activity on the issue including a brief filed by Fujita and others in support of a marriage equality case before the Supreme Court.

The Supreme Court on Tuesday will hear oral arguments on California's Proposition 8, which banned same-sex marriage. Opponents of the proposition say it discriminates against gay men and women.

To Fujita and others, this is an important case that could have ramifications in the NFL. If the Supreme Court overturns Proposition 8, it would send yet another signal to closeted gay NFL players that the environment is changing for the better.

The brief's supporters are impressive. They include: Giants co-owner Steve Tisch; Demaurice Smith, executive director of the NFLPA; Vikings punter Chris Kluwe, Ravens linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo; Marie Tillman, co-founder of the Pat Tillman Foundation; Russell Simmons, founder of Def Jam Records; former UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans; Browns center Alex Mack; and NFL players Connor Barwin, D'Qwell Jackson, Tom Crabtree, Eric Winston and Scott Shanle, among others.

There is a feeling among people who have fought this battle for years that a corner is about to be turned. I don't know. While my faith in humanity remains tepid, it's balanced by my faith in people like Fujita.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/21946093/some-believe-atmosphere-is-safe-for-gay-nfl-player-to-come-out

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#1 : March 25, 2013, 01:55:35 PM

Cam Newton is coming out?

youngone

Hall of Famer
#2 : March 25, 2013, 02:01:45 PM

Rudd?

gbobucsfan

Pro Bowler
#3 : March 25, 2013, 02:04:11 PM

What are the odds that it's a punter or kicker? 

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 25, 2013, 02:12:54 PM

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#5 : March 25, 2013, 02:16:05 PM

all jokes aside, good for him.

I hope he does. Its embarrassing that he hasn't felt comfortable enough to do it yet.

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 25, 2013, 02:17:31 PM

Tebow

traew01

Pro Bowler

#7 : March 25, 2013, 02:19:19 PM

At this point who cares? Makes no difference to me whatsoever.

If he can rush the passer or cover wide receivers, I will gladly take him on the Bucs.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#8 : March 25, 2013, 02:29:10 PM

To Fujita and others, this is an important case that could have ramifications in the NFL. If the Supreme Court overturns Proposition 8, it would send yet another signal to closeted gay NFL players that the environment is changing for the better.

Well then, let's destroy thousands of years of tradition, sacrament and social structure so that a gay football player can come out of the closet. I'm sure that will sway the Supremes.

Personally I don't care if a player is gay or not. If he can play, he can play. As for reasons to implement gay marriage? Aw c'mon, really?

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#9 : March 25, 2013, 02:33:42 PM

Obviously its Matt Ryan.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#10 : March 25, 2013, 06:33:51 PM

That Michael Jackson photoshoot may have been his first attempt at coming out of the closet.

I hate speculating as to what thoughts are in the heads of other people, but I'm going to guess that in the history of gay people, never once has it crossed anyone's that dressing up as Michael Jackson is a way to start the coming-out-process.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 25, 2013, 06:46:24 PM

Maybe I'm behind the times (no pun intended, but laugh if you want), but why is that info?

Why do I need to know about some guy taking it in the poopshoot from another guy anyway? (reminds me of the scene from talladega nights where Ricky Bobby's best friend declares that he spread his butt cheeks for playgirl)....like he needed to tell him that? Lol

It's not like I run around telling people I bang vagina. Big non deal IMO.
: March 25, 2013, 06:51:28 PM Benchwarmer#1

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#12 : March 25, 2013, 07:58:07 PM

Heaven Help Us. Hope it's not a Bucs player-- that would be soooo gay.

I remember when it was legal to throw rocks at gays.

I guess it would be "illegal" to yell gay slurs at the player at a game?? Sad.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#13 : March 25, 2013, 08:09:55 PM

It has been rumored that poster(s) were banned for homosexual innuendo type talk about players, etc.   Not sure if that is true, but will some bans be implemented from this thread?   Stay tuned

as for the topic, good for the player.  Who cares?

youngone

Hall of Famer
#14 : March 25, 2013, 09:42:33 PM

Heaven Help Us. Hope it's not a Bucs player-- that would be soooo gay.

I remember when it was legal to throw rocks at gays.

I guess it would be "illegal" to yell gay slurs at the player at a game?? Sad.

When and where was that legal?
Page: 1 2 3 ... 13
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A current NFL player considering comming out gay within the next few months « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools