Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: why i'm not overly concerned yet « previous next »
Page: 1 2

big_JLB

Starter

: March 26, 2013, 10:32:37 AM

the league year is still only 2 WEEKS OLD ...not only is there the draft, but as many have pointed out, there will be a number of players released or cut between now and the start of the season as well. IMO there is no logical way one can assume that nothing will be done between now and then outside of the draft. now, there are still quite obviously some holes on the roster, so i'm going to take a look at each position as it stands like alldaway did with an OBJECTIVE point of view. as well as adding some potential targets that i think could be brought in as a FA, as a high pick, as a mid-round pick, as a late-round pick or as an UDFA, depending on the position/need. if they pull off another solid draft and bring in a couple more vets between now and the start of camp this team looks to be alright

red = gone
blue = on the bubble
* = value pick

QB: Josh Freeman, Dan Orvlosky, Adam Weber
i still believe someone will be brought in to push #5 although at this point there are few options on the FA market. however, one that stands out as being capable enough to fill in IMO would be jason campbell. if the team decides to not go the vet route i would not be surprised if they pull the trigger on a QB in the draft if they feel like its worth it. tyler bray (who doesnt seem like a schiano-type player) or landry jones (definitely does even though hes a choke), matt scott, or even jordan rogers could all be options
options:
FA - jason campbell
mid - tyler bray (tennessee), matt scott* (arizona)
late/UDFA - landry jones (oklahoma), jordan rogers* (vanderbilt)
UDFA - seth doege (texas tech)

RB: Doug Martin, DJ Ware, Michael Smith, LaGerrette Blount
i'm pretty sure LGB is going to be involved in any potential revis deal. if thats the case then i believe we'll see a couple RBs brought in as either a late round selection or UDFA's as the team has more pressing needs to address with their draft picks. there is also plenty of time to bring in a FA as well. i wouldn't count out michael smith either, as their willingness to deal blount could be an indication of their plans for smith, IMO
options:
FA - javon ringer, deji karim, larod stephens-howling
mid - christine michael (texas A&M), stephfan taylor (stanford)
late - zac stacy* (vanderbilt), dennis johnson (arkansas), rex burkhead (nebraska)
UDFA - robbie rouse* (fresno state)

FB: Erik Lorig
someone will probably be brought in for the sake of competition, but lorig has continued to improve at the fullback position and will hold onto the starting gig

TE: Luke Stocker, Tom Crabtree, Danny Noble, Nate Byham, Zach Miller
still haven't lost hope for stocker yet like some have. it seems like he's always just a bit short in everything...hopefully he can seize the opportunity. crabtree might surprise as an under-the-radar signing. i still think a mid-round draft pick will be spent on the position, especially with the deep class of TE's. if they can get someone like travis kelce or nick kasa (both of which are adept blockers) in the 4th it would be an excellent pick IMO. they seem to be high on danny noble as well, but if a rookie is brought in then smell ya later bro
options:
high - zach ertz (stanford), gavin escobar (SDSU), vance mcdonald (rice)
mid - travis kelce* (cincinnati), nick kasa* (colorado)

WR: Vincent Jackson, Mike Williams, Tiquan Underwood, Kevin Olgetree, David Douglas
ideally some more competition will be brought in not named ogeltree. nor do i think he has the slot on lock. if they come out of left field and take tavon austin in the first the trio of vjax/mwill/austin would be dynamic, which is why i could live with the pick. realistically i think a mid-to-late round pick could be spent on a WR and some UDFA's will definitely be brought in
options:
FA - kevin walter
high - tavon austin* (west virginia)
mid - stedman bailey (west virginia), ryan swope (texas A&M)
late - connor vernon* (duke), josh boyce (TCU)
UDFA - t.j. moe* (missouri), jasper collins (mount union)

OT: Donald Penn, Demar Dotson, Jamon Meredith
IMO the only way penn and dotson arent the starters is if an OT is taken @13. its a possibility, but at this point i don't think it will happen (although i wouldn't mind if it did). merideth showed why he is decent depth at both guard and tackle until he got hurt...which is why i think an OT will be taken at some point in the draft or brought in as an UDFA to fill out the depth
options:
high - lane johnson* (oklahoma), manelik watson (FSU), kyle long (oregon)
mid - david quessenberry (san jose state)
late - rick wagner* (wisconsin), luke marquardt (azusa pacific)
UDFA - vinston painter* (virginia tech), emmett cleary (boston college)

OG: Davin Joseph, Carl Nicks, Desmond Wynn, Roger Allen
along with WR, LB and S, the interior is a strong point of the team. unless someone gets injured i don't see anyone brought in other than the usual camp fodder which is why i put wynn and allen on the bubble...just in case someone comes and takes a spot. allen may have some potential though

OC: Jeremy Zuttah, Ted Larsen, Cody Wallace
if zuttah wasnt signed to a starter's salary i wouldn't be against taking someone like barrett jones and watching the interior of the line eat people, however zut does and adequate job and is relatively secure as the starter. larsen is ok depth as well

DE: Da'Quan Bowers, Adrian Clayborn, Daniel Te'o Nesheim, Aaron Morgan, Markus White, Lazarius Levingston, Ernest Owusu
outside of freeny, osi and abraham there isnt much on the FA market in terms of DE's. nor does it seem like any of them will be brought in. there is little doubt that at least one pass rusher will be brought in through the draft. it could very easily be a high pick if someone falls out of the top-10, however their apparent confidence in bowers suggests that it could be a mid-to-late round pick that gets invested in the position. obviously getting a healthy AC back is huge, and will help make up for the loss of bennett (at the very least against the run). i like aaron morgan as a developmental guy as well
options:
high - ezekiel ansah (BYU), bjoern werner* (FSU), cornelius carradine (FSU), margus hunt (SMU)
mid - devin taylor (south carolina), david bass* (missouri western state)
late - michael buchanan (illinois), quanterus smith* (western kentucky)
UDFA - mike catapano (princeton), dan giordano (cincinnati),

DT: Gerald McCoy, Gary Gibson, Corvey Irvin, Richard Clebert, Matt Masifilo
can you say "wafer thin"...because that's what the depth at the DT position is. going into the season with gibson the starter at NT isnt the end of the world IMO, but he is obviously better suited for a rotational role. like DE its clear that the position will be addressed at some point in the draft. there is still plenty of time to bring in a vet as well. i'm confident that the group as it stands today wont be the same as the one that starts the season.
options:
FA - alan branch, sedrick ellis, sen'derrick marks
high - star lotuleilei* (utah), sheldon richardson (missouri)
mid - akeem spence* (illinois), brandon williams* (missouri southern state)
late - josh boyd* (mississippi state), cory grissom* (south florida), mike purcell* (wyoming)
UDFA - scott vallone (rutgers), william campbell (michigan)

LB: Lavonte David, Mason Foster, Adam Heyward, Dekoda Watson, Jonathan Casillas, Najee Goode, Jacob Cutrera, Joe Holland
another potential strength of the team. i don't mind the casillas signing at all because there was a decent chance that they were prepared to roll with hayward or watson as the starter to replace black anyway. at the very least casillas will provide competition and depth should watson or hayward beat him out. its doubtful that a high or even mid round pick is spent on a LB, but they may be inclined to use a late-round selection if there is a player they like, but more than likely some UDFA's will be brought in
options
mid: keith pough (howard), etienne sabino (ohio state)
late: michael clay (oregon), john lotuleilei (UNLV)
UDFA: philip steward* (houston), nathan williams (ohio state)

CB: Eric Wright, Leonard Johnson, Danny Gorrer, Anthony Gaitor, Keith Tandy, Myron Lewis, James Rogers
unequivocally the worst group on the roster, and like DT there is absolutely no way the CB's as they stand today will be the same group that starts the season. at this point i cant take the team's disinterest and lack of activity in the FA market as anything other than a sign that a trade for revis is a matter of when, not if. would i have liked to see them bring a few in? sure. will i be equally happy with revis + a rookie? absolutely. in fact there will probably be more than one rookie, which is ok in my books because this CB class is deep...alot of solid talent to be had from round 1-6, and there's still enough time between now and the start of training camp to bring a couple FA's in as well (whoever is left that is...) i left wright on the bubble because there is the slight chance that he restructures. if thats the case he's going to have to compete for the #2 spot...in fact, LJ will probably give him a run for the nickel as well (and i hope johnson beats him out)
options:
FA: antoine winfield, kelvin hayden, quentin jammer
high: desmond trufant (washington), xavier rhodes (FSU), johnthan banks* (mississippi state), jordan poyer (oregon state), robert alford (southeastern louisiana), logan ryan* (rutgers), blidi wreh-wilson (uconn), B.W. webb* (william & mary)
mid: leon mcfadden* (SDSU), will davis (utah state), terry hawthorne* (illinois), tharold simon (LSU), nickell robey (USC)
late: josh johnson** (purdue), steve williams* (california), nigel malone* (kansas state), adrian bushell (louisville), kahlid wooten (nevada)
UDFA: demontre hurst (oklahoma), rod sweeting (LSU), greg reid (valdosta state)

S: Mark Barron, Dashon Goldson, Ahmad Black, Ronde Barber(?), Cody Grimm, Sean Baker, Nick Saenz
with the addition of goldson the safety position is another strength of the team. its also safe to say that you can cross it off the list of positions to be addressed through the draft. the combo of barron and goldson is physically imposing and ahmad black is a capable 3rd safety. cody grimm will fight to make the roster again, as baker showed flashes last preseason.

K: Connor Barth
P: Michael Koenen, Chas Henry
LS: A. Economos
: March 28, 2013, 09:35:20 AM big_JLB

DEBUCSOWN

Starter

#1 : March 26, 2013, 10:39:55 AM

You forgot ronde barber!

Go Bucs

big_JLB

Starter

#2 : March 26, 2013, 10:43:35 AM

at this point i'm not so sure he's coming back, maybe they give him the tony G treatment?

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#3 : March 26, 2013, 10:46:54 AM

Fun to read, good post JLB. If it were me, I'd put Michael Smith and Gorrer on the bubble.

- Michael Smith needs to show some sign of life this season, be it as a returner, special teams coverage, or some role playing back.
- Danny Gorrer... well... lets just say if this were Salem a few hundred years ago, I would have blurted out he's a witch and let the locals had their fun with him. Throw him in the river, if he drowns, we were wrong. If he swims, he's a witch, burn him. You just don't drop the damn Eagles game... No. Nightmares... lots of them. Horrible horrible nightmares.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 26, 2013, 10:58:59 AM

Lot of great work and it's appreciated. I think a lot of the frustration is that while there will be guys available after the draft, due to the bizarre buyers market this year much better quality was available early on FA for just as cheap and on low risk short contracts. Plus asvypu point out some of the holes are based on the FO going do or die on one option (Revis)'which is poor negotiating and can end up being costly.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#5 : March 26, 2013, 11:37:47 AM

Good post.

Is Tandy a CB, S or a flex DB? I'm interested in seeing Tandy and Goode play a little more since the team liked them enough to not risk trying to get them to the practice squad.

In terms of in-game analysis, I like to follow Steve White. He's extremely high on Nate Byham and thinks he's one of the best blocking TEs the Bucs have ever had. He also liked Danny Noble. With Stocker and Crabtree as the more balanced receiving/blocking TEs and Byham and Noble as the extra linemen. I really don't think the unit will be addressed in the draft, at least not in the first three rounds.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

big_JLB

Starter

#6 : March 26, 2013, 11:50:16 AM

Lot of great work and it's appreciated. I think a lot of the frustration is that while there will be guys available after the draft, due to the bizarre buyers market this year much better quality was available early on FA for just as cheap and on low risk short contracts. Plus asvypu point out some of the holes are based on the FO going do or die on one option (Revis)'which is poor negotiating and can end up being costly.

it can end up being costly, however dom has to know that that something must be done at some point. if they send a 1st rounder to the jets for revis the fact that it's this year's or next's will say a lot about how they view this team, IMO
: March 26, 2013, 11:57:19 AM big_JLB

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#7 : March 26, 2013, 11:54:50 AM

The team finished 7-9...outside of the safety position, what has been upgraded this off-season?

\"I seen his aura or whatever...I seen it...it\'s orange...\"
- Un-named source on Lovie Smith

big_JLB

Starter

#8 : March 26, 2013, 11:55:25 AM

Good post.

Is Tandy a CB, S or a flex DB? I'm interested in seeing Tandy and Goode play a little more since the team liked them enough to not risk trying to get them to the practice squad.

In terms of in-game analysis, I like to follow Steve White. He's extremely high on Nate Byham and thinks he's one of the best blocking TEs the Bucs have ever had. He also liked Danny Noble. With Stocker and Crabtree as the more balanced receiving/blocking TEs and Byham and Noble as the extra linemen. I really don't think the unit will be addressed in the draft, at least not in the first three rounds.

tandy is def a wildcard...if he's a safety it could lessen the potential blow of barber not coming back (if thats the case), if he's a CB perhaps their comfort with him is adding to the lack of activity surrounding the position? who knows, but at this point i'm much more excited about tandy's chances than goode's. goode seems like a career ST guy to me..

and i knew byham was a good blocker, but i didnt know steve white was so high on him. if they really do like byham and noble then yeah, TE becomes a 4th round and later option. however it's clear that this offence needs a #3 receiving threat, whether that is upgrading the slot or TE position, i have a feeling that one of them will be targeted

Madman

Hall of Famer

#9 : March 26, 2013, 11:57:42 AM

Obvious areas of concern:

CB: Eric Wright, Leonard Johnson, Danny Gorrer, Anthony Gaitor, Keith Tandy, James Rogers
DT: Gerald McCoy, Gary Gibson, Corvey Irvin, Richard Clebert, Matt Masifilo
TE: Luke Stocker, Tom Crabtree, Danny Noble, Nate Byham, Zach Miller (Is Dallas Clark def gone?)
OT: Donald Penn, Demar Dotson, Jamon Meredith

big_JLB

Starter

#10 : March 26, 2013, 11:58:34 AM

The team finished 7-9...outside of the safety position, what has been upgraded this off-season?

it looks to me like DT, DE and CB are the only positions that need serious attention...and there is still plenty of time and ways to do so.

....did you even read the post?

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 26, 2013, 12:02:56 PM

it looks to me like DT, DE and CB are the only positions that need serious attention...and there is still plenty of time and ways to do so.

Sorry man...I'm at work so I admit to skimming. Still not sure how one is so comfy with the situation but hey...do you.

\"I seen his aura or whatever...I seen it...it\'s orange...\"
- Un-named source on Lovie Smith

Madman

Hall of Famer

#12 : March 26, 2013, 12:11:08 PM

DE is pretty solid imo. Bowers and Clayborn with Teo and Aaron Morgan as backups.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#13 : March 26, 2013, 12:11:53 PM

tandy is def a wildcard...if he's a safety it could lessen the potential blow of barber not coming back (if thats the case), if he's a CB perhaps their comfort with him is adding to the lack of activity surrounding the position? who knows, but at this point i'm much more excited about tandy's chances than goode's. goode seems like a career ST guy to me..

and i knew byham was a good blocker, but i didnt know steve white was so high on him. if they really do like byham and noble then yeah, TE becomes a 4th round and later option. however it's clear that this offence needs a #3 receiving threat, whether that is upgrading the slot or TE position, i have a feeling that one of them will be targeted

I agree about the third receiving threat, but I'm not convinced that TE is where it's at in this offense. I'm probably a little too influenced by the Giants connection and the way they use their TEs (mainly as red zone threats). I also think Stocker started looking better down the stretch of the season. I genuinely don't expect the Bucs to address the position further. I think the third receiving threat will be in the form of a slot WR, again, using the Giants as the example of what I think the Bucs want their offense to be.

I'll see if I can find some Steve White comments on Byham. I'm not real good with the twitters.

I understand your point, but we're still only two weeks into the off-season. Mainly, the biggest upgrade regardless of what players they bring in will be that they're in year two of the offense and defense and will spend the offseason improving what they know and not learning new schemes.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#14 : March 26, 2013, 12:12:51 PM

As far as DEs, I would like for them to bring in one of the older, situational rushers like Freeney or Abraham or Osi. I think Freeney is the best, but Osi would be the funniest because it's a "done deal" to Atlanta and screw the Falcons.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: why i'm not overly concerned yet « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools