Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs roster "remains too incomplete " to compete with the NFL's best « previous next »
Page: 1 2

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#15 : March 27, 2013, 11:21:23 AM

carolina is still worse than us. not as much but weve stil got more pieces on this team. theyve got good linebackers but so do we. their DBs are just as bad and their DTs suck too. weve got better receivers and RB is a push.

Champ29

Rookie

#16 : March 27, 2013, 11:22:56 AM

doug martin > stewart or williams

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#17 : March 27, 2013, 11:35:00 AM

i forgot to mention that our OL is better than all of theres except for kalil

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#18 : March 27, 2013, 11:40:54 AM

With even the most mediocre pass defense the Bucs could easily have won three more games and made the playoffs last year.  Incomplete, but only to a degree. Two decent CBs (they don't have to be great), a DT, and an upgrade for QB at SLB, and we're good to go. Cooper is gone to South Florida and Schiano made some adjustments against Atlanta that kept Matt Ryan out of the endzone. The new DB coach and a scheme more fitting to the players we will have, will make a difference.We need depth on both sides of the ball, but we're set for years to come right now at S, two of our LBs, and three players on the DL. The defense went from worst to first against the run largely on coaching. Miller and Bennett were key factors in both years. I consider Bowers and Clayborn to be upgrades at DE. With McCoy and whoever we draft in the middle, our DL will be be much more disruptive against the pass while remaining in the top ten against the run. We face many great QBs this year, so my guess is middle of the league in overall defense. That will be good enough to get at least a WC spot. A division title is possible. Three teams finished 7-9, and all three split with the fowlgoons.

On offense the return of Nicks and Joseph should improve things for Freeman and Doug. A second year in the system has to be good for everybody. Consistency from Freeman and depth are the major issues. Maybe an upgrade for Dotson and eventual replacement for Penn and possibly an impact TE could be considered, but that might be next year. This offense just needs time together. This team has the firepower to go deep in the playoffs.

How about a Bucs Patriots SB in the Meadowlands in a February blizzard with the Bucs favored by two TDs?  Yeah, I know, but if you're going to imagine......imagine big.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#19 : March 27, 2013, 11:52:36 AM

Five years just isn't enough time.

How long do you need?

Average NFL career is 5 years. So by the time you get to year 5, some of your first year pieces will start losing their shelf life.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#20 : March 27, 2013, 12:05:17 PM

Five years just isn't enough time.

How long do you need?

Average NFL career is 5 years. So by the time you get to year 5, some of your first year pieces will start losing their shelf life.

Sarcasm alert

Champ29

Rookie

#21 : March 27, 2013, 12:06:59 PM

tommy kelly got cut....i say we sign him to a 1 year deal to shore up the DT spot next to mccoy ...i dont trust gibson as a starter

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#22 : March 27, 2013, 12:38:20 PM

tommy kelly got cut....i say we sign him to a 1 year deal to shore up the DT spot next to mccoy ...i dont trust gibson as a starter

You don't trust Gibson but you want to add a slob that gives up on plays and got trucked by Dougie for 251 yrds?????

rikes

Starter

#23 : March 27, 2013, 12:45:41 PM

I feel that the Seahawks are getting way too much hype. Their defense is very solid, but the offense just has too many question marks for me to consider them top 5 in the league.
where do you see a question mark in their offense? on their line? They have a top notch running back, a very smart play caller, they just picked up a very dangerous WR. I don't see any holes on the offensive side.

Champ29

Rookie

#24 : March 27, 2013, 12:59:25 PM

You don't trust Gibson but you want to add a slob that gives up on plays and got trucked by Dougie for 251 yrds?????

lol...i just dont trust gibson as a starter....him and kelly could alternate on the line

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#25 : March 27, 2013, 01:34:09 PM

What has baffled me throughout this off season is that the better teams have gotten better players and the Bucs have been content with signing role players and a starting Safety. Right now the only team we are better than in our own Division is Carolina. And that is even questionable.

You are under the misguided idea that signing older FA makes teams better. When in fact if that player is overpaid and underachieves, ala Eric Wright, he can make the team worse.

So I would agree that other teams have signed more people than we have, you honestly have no way of knowing which teams improved the most from the signings. Give it a rest chump and let this thing play out before giving yourself a thong wedgie over us not signing Grimes, Aso, DRC or any of the other CB with questionable production, health or salaries.

The one guy we knew would make us better, we got. We can do better than the FA CB we "missed out on" so far.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#26 : March 27, 2013, 01:35:39 PM

lol...i just dont trust gibson as a starter....him and kelly could alternate on the line

I honestly don't either. But I do see the Nose as a SLB position on this defense. Eat up blockers, hold his ground so apparently we don't value that position to much. I think we will add someone there before next season though.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#27 : March 27, 2013, 03:32:39 PM

What has baffled me throughout this off season is that the better teams have gotten better players and the Bucs have been content with signing role players and a starting Safety. Right now the only team we are better than in our own Division is Carolina. And that is even questionable.

You are under the misguided idea that signing older FA makes teams better. When in fact if that player is overpaid and underachieves, ala Eric Wright, he can make the team worse.

So I would agree that other teams have signed more people than we have, you honestly have no way of knowing which teams improved the most from the signings. Give it a rest chump and let this thing play out before giving yourself a thong wedgie over us not signing Grimes, Aso, DRC or any of the other CB with questionable production, health or salaries.

The one guy we knew would make us better, we got. We can do better than the FA CB we "missed out on" so far.

Did B40 say that those players would absolutely make us better? Sure, there are FA signings every year that don't work out, and there are some that do....just like draft picks. What signing a few more of the wanted FAs would have done is: solidify the roster...and also would have given us vets with actual starting experience. There were(and still are) vets out there who could have been signed for cap friendly deals and would have come in to at least be a solid starter at very key positions.

The Bucs seem to be rolling with what is on the roster and will try and improve things through the draft...and that's what we have to accept...but lets not fool ourselves in thinking that signing a few more players could have not lessened the burden on both the FO to find multiple instant contributing rookies, and could have not lessened the burden on the rookies and current players on the roster by adding seasoned vets who are solid contributors themselves.

I'm fine with the argument that the Bucs: A. Just were not passionate about much of the FAs that a lot of fans wanted. B. That they wanted to add young talent who may fit the system better than ___FA.

...but the salary/money argument against signing those FAs is a cop out and a cheap retort.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#28 : March 27, 2013, 06:19:57 PM

We may have no choice but to start a rookie CB this year. Trufant is a plug and play guy. Ryan may be as well. 

The depth on the OL has always been an issue. I don't see Dom addressing that with FA, or draft.

NT isn't the hardest position to fill. Nor is SAM LB.

I would prefer to fill the positions in FA and then draft BPA rather than go into the draft with so many needs.
I'm just afraid that we may have to trade down again in the 2nd or 3rd rounds because we are drafting for need.
Or else reach for a player in the 1st round for the same reason.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#29 : March 27, 2013, 08:55:59 PM

I feel that the Seahawks are getting way too much hype. Their defense is very solid, but the offense just has too many question marks for me to consider them top 5 in the league.
where do you see a question mark in their offense? on their line? They have a top notch running back, a very smart play caller, they just picked up a very dangerous WR. I don't see any holes on the offensive side.

The SeaChickens are loaded man, and now they have added Percy.  They have a nice team, that is why their front office people are getting hired all the league.

As far as the Bucs, if we land Revis, move up for Milliner, we would be in pretty good shape .   I was reading somewhere today, the Chiefs are begging teams to take that #1 off their hands.  Could come cheap.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs roster "remains too incomplete " to compete with the NFL's best « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools