Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: So Who's Your First Round Pick? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#15 : March 28, 2013, 12:13:21 AM

We may move up, stay put, or move back, but in order of my preference.....

1. OT Eric Fisher
2.  DT Shariff Floyd
3. DE Cornellius Carradine
4. DE Bjoern Werner
5. OT Lane Johnson
6. TE Tyler Eifert
7. CB Xavier Rhodes
8. OLB Jarvis Jones

Draft Aaron Donald

idliketoproposeatoast

Rookie

#16 : March 28, 2013, 12:13:47 AM

If we stand pat at 13 the pick should be Jarvis Jones as long as he checks out medically, which it sounds like he has/will, for all the reasons previously mentioned.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#17 : March 28, 2013, 12:18:08 AM

What is Jones' position in the NFL? Linebacker for two downs and DE on third/passing downs?

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#18 : March 28, 2013, 12:19:46 AM

What is Jones' position in the NFL? Linebacker for two downs and DE on third/passing downs?

In our defense that's what he would be.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#19 : March 28, 2013, 12:22:17 AM

Cool, I know he had bad measurables, but every video I've seen of him, he sure looks fast and dynamic. I'm for anything that gets pressure on the QB.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#20 : March 28, 2013, 12:25:11 AM

Cool, I know he had bad measurables, but every video I've seen of him, he sure looks fast and dynamic. I'm for anything that gets pressure on the QB.

He's a beast on the field.

idliketoproposeatoast

Rookie

#21 : March 28, 2013, 12:30:58 AM

The guy is an epitome of a football player, I'm a Trojan out here in LA and while he didn't get the chance to shine for us that he did at UGA he had always showed those flashes of brilliance in the limited time he got here, as others have said, he's not a guy that's going to wow the scouts in positions drills, etc. but the guy can just flat out play football, and that's exactly what this team needs

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#22 : March 28, 2013, 01:01:35 AM

Lande's (NFP) scouting report on Jarvis Jones:

STRENGTHS - Jones is an explosive athlete and when he anticipates the snap he can burst off the ball and has the speed to beat the OT around the corner. Despite lacking ideal bulk/weight, when he bull rushes aggressively he is a powerful bull rusher - His ability to rush with leverage and use his hands aggressively to jolt OT helps him play so strong. Although he almost never uses an inside pass rush move, when he wants to he can change directions fast and has an explosive burst to beat the OT back underneath. Unlike many undersized defenders, Jones does an excellent job of taking on run blocks with leverage and good hand use, which enables him to easily hold ground at the POA. He does an outstanding job of shedding TE run blocks and flashes ability to shed OT run blocks. On running plays away he consistently gets off the ball and inside backside block quickly and has the elite playing speed to chase down ball carrier in pursuit. When offenses try to pull the OL over him, he bursts into the backfield before the trapping OL can get to him and he makes the play behind the LOS. On running plays to his side of the field he does an excellent job of taking on run blocker with good technique, maintains outside force/contain, strings the play out, can shed and makes tackle.

WEAKNESSES - Despite flashing the ability to be an impact pass rusher, too often he is a non-factor rushing the QB. While he flashes rare initial quickness and the speed to get the corner, more often than not he does not burst off the ball and when he doesn't he cannot threaten as an edge rusher. He has a bad habit of stopping his feet and quitting on pass rush if his initial pass rush move is stopped. He is an upright and mechanical looking player when dropping off the ball into pass coverage. He is going to need a lot of work to become productive in pass coverage. Although he makes it look easy taking on and defeat TE run blocks, he only flashes the ability to defeat OT run blocks. Too often if an OT gets their hands on him they can tie him up and ride him out of the play, this is why he is best suited to playing OLB where he can align wider and deal more with TE blocks. His tendency to play high and bad use of hands to deal with low/cut blocks leads to him getting cut to the ground way too easily. Most concerning is that after suffering a neck injury during his freshman season at USC, he was not cleared to return to play at USC again, so it is unknown how he will fare when he takes NFL physicals.

SUMMARY - Unfortunately, Jones is one of the more disappointing players I evaluated this season because he just did not produce at a high level consistently. For a player who flashes elite explosiveness off the ball combined with the ability to make game changing plays, too often he disappeared and was a non-factor. Most effective when aligned wide in a 2-Pt Alignment, he fits best as an outside linebacker in a 34 scheme, but will need to improve playing off the ball in pass coverage to become a good all-around starter. If he is going to become a consistent pass rush then he must improve his get-off consistency and maintain leverage and aggressiveness when rushing the QB. Overall, Jones is definitely going to be drafted significantly higher than I have him rated, but I doubt he will ever become the consistent player that he flashes the ability to be. If he does not learn to pass rush with leverage and aggressiveness every snap, then he will never be consistent pressuring the QB at the NFL level because the OT's he will face at the next level are significantly better than those he faced in college. .

danlowe748

Starter

#23 : March 28, 2013, 06:38:06 AM

I think they should take one of the following guys.

1. DE Bjoern Werner
2. TE Tyler Eifert
3. QB Matt Barkley
4. WR Tavon Austin

I know I will take some heat for the QB suggestion.   But it's time they brought in a guy who can challenge Freeman for the starting job.   

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#24 : March 28, 2013, 07:25:17 AM

Xavier Rhodes
Desmond Trufant
Jarvis Jones
ZIggy Ansah
Bjoern Werner.

It's got to be one of these guys , period. You guys talking about drafting a WR or a NT are off your damn rockers....

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#25 : March 28, 2013, 07:41:36 AM

You wanna reach for Trufant at 13, but Sharrif Floyd would make us off our rockers? Hmmm.....K.

Draft Aaron Donald

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#26 : March 28, 2013, 07:56:39 AM

You wanna reach for Trufant at 13, but Sharrif Floyd would make us off our rockers? Hmmm.....K.

Yes , because Trufant is NOT a reach in the 1st round , by almost ALL expert accounts , and the corner position is one of the most valuable commodities in the league. We need some DESPERATELY.

Shariff FLoyd would be playing a position that is not of of much value in our system at all . The impact Floyd could make eating double-teams all day as compared to Gibson is minimal at best. When are you morons going to learn that NT is a space-eater and nothing more in an over/under scheme ?  Plugging a talented player in there isn't going to do much except waste that players talent.

After Booger Macfarland and Gimpy Cheeseburger you'd think we'd have learned....

El Diablo

Starter

#27 : March 28, 2013, 08:01:13 AM

Floyd can play 3 tech as well but he is gonna be a raider I think.  Jarvis Jones, who is also a beast, is a scary pick with his spinal stenosis that is a degenerative condition. If Werner is there still he is my favorite guy in the draft. None of these cb's look like first rd talent to me.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#28 : March 28, 2013, 08:09:11 AM

. None of these cb's look like first rd talent to me.

Xavier Rhodes :  6'1 , 4.41 40yd dash ,  40 inch vertical

Desmond Trufant : 6'0 , 4.38 40yd dash  , 37.5 vertical

Last season , Moron Claiborne who everyone assumed was  a legit 1st rounder : 5'11 , 4.51 40 yrd dash , 34.5 inch vertical . 4 on the wonderlic

....and it's not like they have terrible film . These guys can play . So how are they not 1st round talents again ?? I call bullsh!t.

El Diablo

Starter

#29 : March 28, 2013, 08:17:15 AM

. None of these cb's look like first rd talent to me.

Xavier Rhodes :  6'1 , 4.41 40yd dash ,  40 inch vertical

Desmond Trufant : 6'0 , 4.38 40yd dash  , 37.5 vertical

Last season , Moron Claiborne who everyone assumed was  a legit 1st rounder : 5'11 , 4.51 40 yrd dash , 34.5 inch vertical . 4 on the wonderlic

....and it's not like they have terrible film . These guys can play . So how are they not 1st round talents again ?? I call bullsh!t.

You said it..The film on these guys isn't really all that great. Rhodes played
ACC talent and wasn't the best corner on his own team until the other cb got kicked off the team. So enjoy your combine numbers. I think Reid and honeybadger will be better in the NFL than either of these guys.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: So Who's Your First Round Pick? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools