Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Tommy Kelly the Perfect Match for Gerald McCoy and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : March 28, 2013, 12:18:03 AM »

Is Tommy Kelly the Perfect Match for Gerald McCoy and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers?

Mar 27th, 2013 at 9:16 pm

by Leo Howell

The Oakland Raiders have been getting rid of veterans left and right this offseason, and the latest to go is massive defensive lineman Tommy Kelly. Inside Bay Area reported today that he was the third defensive tackle let go by the Raiders, and saved the team five million dollars in cap space. With the Tampa Bay Buccaneers sitting on a stack of cash, and a space-eating, monstrous nose tackle on the market, will the Buccaneers pursue Kelly?

The main concern here is price. Kelly was making obscene numbers in Oakland, and considering that he’s past 30 and has not shown any consistency in his NFL career, he’s likely not going to get the kind of paycheck he wants. He’s got the size needed to play the nosetackle position in the Buccaneers’ defense; he’s actually bigger and stronger than Roy Miller. But remember that Tommy Kelly was one of the defenders who allowed Doug Martin to have his breakout game this season in Oakland. In other words, there is good as well as bad when it comes to Tommy Kelly, and he’ll have to settle for a price lower than he probably would like, even outside of Tampa Bay.

The upside of bringing in Tommy Kelly is that he provides a huge tackle partner for Gerald McCoy. McCoy came on last season and showed why he was a first round pick, but still has to work to give the Buccaneers value for their money. He’ll need a partner in crime to make sure he can attack as the 3-technique (Warren Sapp style), so the other defensive tackle will need to occupy the center and opposite guard as much as possible. The 330 pound Kelly could do just that, and he’s disruptive enough that he commands a double team based on skill and not just on size. In fact, Kelly would play as the 3-tech tackle in Oakland at times, but still command double teams.

There are certainly questions among other reporters and experts about Kelly’s focus and drive, but it’s tough to judge a player stuck in the Black Hole in Oakland for as long as Kelly has been. If Coach Schiano and Mark Dominik take the time to sit down with Tommy Kelly, they might find the perfect partner for Gerald McCoy. It’s all dependent on mindset and attitude.

This is the kind of player that could be worth the Buccaneers’ cash, because there will be less competition for his signature after many teams have spent their free agent budgets. If I had to guess, I’d say the Buccaneers won’t sign him. But I would not be shocked to see him in Tampa Bay, and I would be excited at the possibility of having a dynamic duo at defensive tackle.

http://thepewterplank.com/2013/03/27/is-tommy-kelly-the-perfect-match-for-gerald-mccoy-and-the-tampa-bay-buccaneers/

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

« #1 : March 28, 2013, 12:38:48 AM »

He has the size to play the NT but he is FAR from a NT. He is a 6'6 330 DT that plays like an UT. Took plays off last year for the Raiders and probably would hate to the dirty work as the tilt tackle.

He'd make a wonderful pass rushing DT next to McCoy on third downs though.

spurzo

Second String

« #2 : March 28, 2013, 12:41:44 AM »

Doesn't seem like a buc man but he's been a beast at points in his career... might respond well to some tough coaching but probably not.  We gotta get something at some point, I'd say do it

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #3 : March 28, 2013, 07:34:28 AM »

We are not going to drop big money on a NT in this defense. Period  . But it might be nice just so people would shut the hell up about Star Lotulelei....

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #4 : March 28, 2013, 07:45:32 AM »

We got future HoFer Gary Gibson....we good.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #5 : March 28, 2013, 08:31:50 AM »

Short-term, he would be a nice complement with Gibson and an upgrade over Miller. Long-term, no; maybe a couple years left, as it's a long season...
    The "tilt"-tackle concept was used because Roy Miller was far more effective as such. Schiano tries to get the max out of every guy, so it made sense. With Miller now gone, we'll see if the Bucs continue to use that... or not...

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #6 : March 28, 2013, 08:39:05 AM »

If you find a guy that is such a beast he can play at a hof level at NT in this defense,  guess what?  We are going to shed Mccoy and his huge contract and move him to Undertackle .

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
« #7 : March 28, 2013, 08:41:24 AM »

Pass

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

« #8 : March 28, 2013, 08:42:31 AM »

no thanks. the guy is a bum and didnt even try at all last year

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #9 : March 28, 2013, 09:05:05 AM »

Schiano tries to get the max out of every guy

So why was he leaving crappy corners on islands all season? Why was he moving our best pass rushers laterally and backward?
« : March 28, 2013, 09:06:46 AM bradentonian »

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #10 : March 28, 2013, 10:00:23 PM »

Schiano tries to get the max out of every guy

So why was he leaving crappy corners on islands all season? Why was he moving our best pass rushers laterally and backward?

One of the great mystery's of the 2012 season.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

BucD

Hall of Famer

« #11 : March 29, 2013, 09:00:55 AM »

It would be nice to grab Tommy Kelly.

Wouldn't cost much and would provide some excellent help along our currently pathetic (outside of McCoy) DT list.

Won't happen though, unfortunately.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #12 : March 29, 2013, 09:41:47 AM »

He'd have to come cheap...   and I think that might be very do-able.

Bit concerned about him disappearing during games though - although if he's playing shaded NT all he has to do is occupy two olineman.

Alternatively, a quality  3rd or 4th rounder could do the same thing cheaper and with more upside.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

McBarron

Pro Bowler

« #13 : March 29, 2013, 09:52:20 AM »

We are not going to drop big money

Fixed it for you, Jason. The rest of your post was not needed.  ;D

SpeedInSpaceBucs!

Hall of Famer

« #14 : March 29, 2013, 10:43:13 AM »

I would like to avoid ex-Raiders if at all possible...
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Tommy Kelly the Perfect Match for Gerald McCoy and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools