Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tyrann Mathieu aces LSU pro-day workout « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: March 28, 2013, 12:25:21 AM

Tyrann Mathieu aces LSU pro-day workout

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer    NFL.com

Published:  March 27, 2013 at 09:43 p.m.

After showing adequate speed and excelling in position drills, LSU cornerback Tyrann Mathieu might have helped himself as much as any player at last month's NFL Scouting Combine.

The buzz still is growing after Mathieu's strong performance at LSU's pro day Wednesday.

"He continues to build a case for being one of the most intriguing nickel corner prospects in the draft," NFL.com's Bucky Brooks said from Baton Rouge, La.

NFL executives told Brooks they love Mathieu's versatility, his ability to go inside and his kick-return skills.

"Somewhere in that second day -- maybe top of the third round," Brooks said, "is where Tyrann Mathieu is going to come off the board."

"I think people will look at the playmaking ability, the fact that he created so many turnovers, made so many big plays for LSU in 2011, that they're going to take a chance on him somewhere in the third round," Brooks said.

Brooks grades Mathieu as a second-round talent but believes character concerns will cost the cornerback one round.

Mathieu continues to do and say all of the right things to rehabilitate his image after sabotaging his stock after being dismissed from LSU's program due to repeated drug infractions.

We're on board with the prediction by NFL Network's Deion Sanders that Mathieu will be a "baller" in the NFL.

"I contacted several teams myself, and told them 'If you don't draft this guy, you are an idiot,'" Sanders said on "NFL AM."

"I believe in the kid, and I will put my name by him."

threadkiller

Pro Bowler

#1 : March 28, 2013, 01:18:39 AM

Would take with 3rd.

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#2 : March 28, 2013, 01:28:31 AM

He sure looked smoth.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#3 : March 28, 2013, 07:52:52 AM

Based on tape alone I would love him as a Buc BUT based on interviews I just get the feeling he's only staying clean until he gets a payday and then it's "Party Time"

Balls Out

Starter
#4 : March 28, 2013, 08:19:59 AM

Based on tape alone I would love him as a Buc BUT based on interviews I just get the feeling he's only staying clean until he gets a payday and then it's "Party Time"

Fair enough if you're truly going on gut, but we've all heard, numerous times, how bad of an idea it is to give millions of dollars to 'kids' who have a history of character issues....and I agree with that rule of thumb. However, I truly believe he loves the game because you can't make all those plays he made without really loving it...and it was taken away from him last year.

I'm of the opinion that getting kicked off the team and not being able to do what he loves was the best thing that could've happened to him going forward...somebody's going to get a steal in the 3rd...

"Some birds can only have a back archer if you flick the starter button - spocking the G spot doesn't work on all of them"

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#5 : March 28, 2013, 08:28:06 AM

Fair enough if you're truly going on gut, but we've all heard, numerous times, how bad of an idea it is to give millions of dollars to 'kids' who have a history of character issues....and I agree with that rule of thumb. However, I truly believe he loves the game because you can't make all those plays he made without really loving it...and it was taken away from him last year.

I'm of the opinion that getting kicked off the team and not being able to do what he loves was the best thing that could've happened to him going forward...somebody's going to get a steal in the 3rd...
It is a total gut thing and it does seem like he loves football & is good at it, it's just some of the comments he's made about how much of a struggle it's been staying clean & that is with football on the line, you give him cash and it only.
As they say, there is no such thing as a cured addict, he seems like a nice, honest & talented kid but I think his "demons" are stronger than he is.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 28, 2013, 08:29:54 AM

I'm very intrigued by the guy but I tend to agree. I don't feel an overwhelming sense of remorse or that his needs to take advantage of the "second opportunity" that he has.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#7 : March 28, 2013, 08:38:42 AM

no thanks. some dumb team will take him in the 3rd. guy doesnt have enough consistent talent to be worth taking that high and hes got too many off the field red flags. let somebody else take a chance on him

janoris jenkins was a MUCH better prospect and we passed on him and his off the field issues were less numerous than mathieu

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#8 : March 28, 2013, 10:57:42 AM

I'd take him in the 4th pretty happily.

Maybe the 3rd depending on who's available

SCLOBERNOCKER

Hall of Famer
#9 : March 28, 2013, 12:42:42 PM

The kid is great on the field but he is not even close to the mold of a Schiano player...

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#10 : March 28, 2013, 12:47:17 PM

I agree that it's highly unlikely we are interested

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 28, 2013, 12:49:10 PM

Get outta my head.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#12 : March 28, 2013, 12:52:08 PM

Quote from: MUSCLE_HAMSTER
I agree that it's highly unlikely we are interested
Actually, Coach Schiano himself has stated he is interested in Mathieu for what it is worth.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#13 : March 28, 2013, 12:53:01 PM

Quote from: MUSCLE_HAMSTER

I think someone is going to reach for him in the second, I'd be happy to have him 3rd or later.

Balls Out

Starter
#14 : March 28, 2013, 01:00:32 PM

The kid is great on the field but he is not even close to the mold of a Schiano player...

Yes and no...As I posted earlier, you can't make the kind of plays he makes without loving the game, so if that's the case he meets Schiano's '1A' criteria...'1B' is character/accountability to the team, which is obviously questionable to say the least.

I watched his interview on NFLam and the dude grew up in a neibourhood that was rough...started smoking weed at age 12 or something close to that, and it was the norm where he was from...It doesn't mean he's a bad guy and it doesn't mean he can't turn it around.

It all depends on how much he really loves the game, that needs to be his motivation. So many of these 'character concern' guys never had to pay the price like he did before making the $$$ and that, coupled with his passion for the game, is what I'm banking on as the difference.

It's hard not to laugh at those saying he isn't worth a 3rd after seeing the thread on what the 1st round of the '09 draft produced.

"Some birds can only have a back archer if you flick the starter button - spocking the G spot doesn't work on all of them"
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tyrann Mathieu aces LSU pro-day workout « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools