Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Goldson wants to mentor Wright « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« : March 28, 2013, 12:01:18 PM »

http://tampa.cbslocal.com/2013/03/28/eric-wright-and-dashon-goldson-relationship-with-the-tampa-bay-buccaneers/

Hat tip to Justin.

There has been an ongoing saga and debate surrounding the Buccaneers and cornerback Eric Wright’s guaranteed money in his contract.

After filing an appeal, which was denied, Eric Wright’s guaranteed money is no longer guaranteed and the Buccaneers can release him at any time without having to pay Wright a dime.

The Buccaneers have not released Eric Wright to date, which could lead to many explanations:

-The Buccaneers feel Wright is already the best cornerback on the market.

-The Buccaneers might be willing to hold onto Wright until all other cornerbacks are signed to force him to take less money to stay with them.

-Perhaps, Eric Wright is one of the best recruiters the team has.

What?

According to Eric Wright’s blog, Wright played a significant role in luring Dashon Goldson to Tampa Bay.

I told him about Tampa. It’s not to say that Tampa didn’t do their job as far as going out and getting him and paying him, and all that stuff. But of course, when he’s going over his options, he’s going to ask me about Tampa. I told him it would be a great place for him to continue his career and continue his success as a football player. And obviously, it would help the team.

Dashon Goldson, who’s interview with The Commish Justin Pawlowski will air Friday morning at 10:00, echoed Wright’s sentiments.

“Before my visit {to Tampa Bay} I reached out to Eric Wright who’s a good friend of mine,” Dashon Goldson said. “I just asked him about the city, how is the team and the mindset, how were the players in the locker room, and the coaching staff, and he had nothing but good things to say.”

Despite losing his appeal to the Buccaneers, it does appear that Wright would like to return for another season with the Bucs.

The difference in this game is millimeters and milliseconds. So when you have those little things, nagging injuries, things change and you have to make different decisions. This year I expect to play with a lot more bounce, a lot more energy, look a lot more youthful.

That’s what they brought me in for, and frankly, that’s what I know I can do. They brought me in because they know I can do it, and I hope they still have that confidence in me. I would like to be back, and will continue to express that until something happens where I’m not a Buccaneer.

Goldson understands the situations Wright put himself into in 2012, but feels he has turned things around.

“I know he dealt with some injuries and some other circumstances, but I think as a young player, things like that come about,” Goldson said of Wright’s 2012 season. “I think he’s doing a good job of handling that now. He understands where he’s at and what needs to be done.”

Goldson continued in his interview with Justin Pawlowski to say that Wright might just need some help, and that he might just be the guy to help him.

“I definitely feel that I can be the person that can help guide him and be a positive role model and help him get back to that player he was and I know he can be.”

Be sure to tune into 98.7 The Fan with The Commish Friday morning at 10:00 to hear Dashon Goldson’s interview in its entirety.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

rikes

Starter

« #1 : March 28, 2013, 12:05:53 PM »

To be honset, Eric Wright probably had one of the most exciting touchdown this year for the bucs. Im not upset seeing him comeback especially under the wing of Goldson. Hopefully that isn't code word for doing drugs together.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

« #2 : March 28, 2013, 12:06:38 PM »

I'll give Wright the benefit of the doubt for one more season. When healthy he wasn't that bad. When he got hurt, suspended and then Talib was traded the Secondary got worse. Maybe, just maybe the addition of Goldson and Barber playing nickel (if he returns) makes Wright a better player. We still need Revis or another quality CB though.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #3 : March 28, 2013, 12:07:43 PM »

I could definitely dig a secondary of Goldson, Barron, Wright, Revis and Ronde at nickel.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

RiotHeart

Starter

« #4 : March 28, 2013, 12:08:55 PM »

Nothing but a dealer looking for rich new clients.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #5 : March 28, 2013, 12:18:12 PM »

Yeah riiiiiiiiight.

To the author:

The contract lured him to Tampa. Wright had nothing to do with it, especially when you consider no one knew if he would or ever will suit up as a Buc, again.

Wright is awful.

Grimes is better. Nnamdi is better. Smith is better. Winfield is better. Toler is better.

If Dom thinks Toast-E is better than the dudes I just listed, then I am convinced Dom is JC5100.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

« #6 : March 28, 2013, 12:22:11 PM »

I could definitely dig a secondary of Goldson, Barron, Wright, Revis and Ronde at nickel.

Then draft either Hayden, Banks, Alford, Ryan or Slay in the 2nd to develop as a eventual starter.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #7 : March 28, 2013, 12:24:04 PM »

Draft Ryan. Sign Winfield. Draft a fifth round CB prospect. Revis. Goldson. Secondary fixed.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #8 : March 28, 2013, 12:29:10 PM »

Yeah riiiiiiiiight.

To the author:

The contract lured him to Tampa. Wright had nothing to do with it, especially when you consider no one knew if he would or ever will suit up as a Buc, again.

Wright is awful.

Grimes is better. Nnamdi is better. Smith is better. Winfield is better. Toler is better.

If Dom thinks Toast-E is better than the dudes I just listed, then I am convinced Dom is JC5100.
Okay - that made me laugh out loud

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #9 : March 28, 2013, 12:33:33 PM »

Hopefully Wright won't be around to mentor

youngone

Hall of Famer

« #10 : March 28, 2013, 12:34:49 PM »

I can dig it.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #11 : March 28, 2013, 12:35:54 PM »

Hopefully Wright won't be around to mentor
Similar feelings - would like someone a bit better.  Like an NFL quality CB...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

big_JLB

Starter

« #12 : March 28, 2013, 12:44:29 PM »

Draft Ryan. Sign Winfield. Draft a fifth round CB prospect. Revis. Goldson. Secondary fixed.

if they trade back into the 2nd to take logan ryan and then take josh johnson from purdue in the 5th/6th after landing revis and goldson i would be ecstatic...and i would even keep wright to compete for the 2/3/4 spot (at a severely reduced rate, obviously) with ryan, josh johnson, LJ and gaitor

Sim

Starter

« #13 : March 28, 2013, 12:57:55 PM »

I think Wright should get a second shot and I'd be happy to see him back with the team.

Injuries happen (see GMac) and I don't think we should dismiss the guy after one season. So far, we've only seen flashes of what he can do.

As for maturity/off-the-field issues, the addition of Goldson should help. More importantly, I think the guy is gonna be a dad soon. The dads out there know that is a life-changing experience that should get his head on straight (I hope).

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #14 : March 28, 2013, 01:05:37 PM »

Wright is staying. I've been saying it all offseason. He's had his field issues with and off the field issues. What I think people lose track of is these are young men with a lot of money. They are going to make mistakes, no one expects them to be perfect. Why I'm willing to give Wright another chance is because he seems to have remorse and regret over how things went down, it seems to be genuine. That is not something I've seen or felt from other guys in the same situation.

I think and apparently the FO agrees, that Eric Wright is better than he played in 2012. I will say that pick 6 he had against Eli was one of the best defensive plays I've ever seen. To be in the middle of a blitz, stop because you saw it was a 3 step drop, then time and catch a ball throw very hard no less than 10 yards away and then run a figure 8 in the middle of the field evading defenders and eventually scoring a TD. It was an amazing play. I hope we see that Eric Wright every Sunday.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Goldson wants to mentor Wright « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools