Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Interesting Anthony Becht Tweet Re: 2013 Free Agency « previous next »
Page: 1 2

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

: March 29, 2013, 11:30:03 AM

Anthony Becht ‏@Anthony_Becht
Amazing how so many #NFL FreeAgents aren't seeing the $ like past yrs, & how all the teams are all on same page for 1 or 2 yr deals. Hmmmm

I was wondering when this would be brought up....

Anyone else see the elephant in the room? Just coincidence or collusion?

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 29, 2013, 11:34:38 AM

New CBA.  Vets thought they were getting limits on rookie salaries? Little did they know....

Dominik specialized in acquiring talented players who were bad fits for his coaches. - FootballOutsiders

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#2 : March 29, 2013, 11:36:32 AM

Yep, that flat cap for some time is going to hurt the middle of the road guys.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 29, 2013, 11:44:11 AM

It is a product of the cap not collusion.  That word is taboo.  After what happened to MLB, no way they are going to get on the wrong side of that.

big_JLB

Starter

#4 : March 29, 2013, 11:46:40 AM

the dominik/nix prank call says it all i think

(on the 3 day period)
MD: "whats the point, right? all it does is create leverage for the agents to ask for more money"

BN: "the best thing we can do to do is fight to get this thing done away with...the agents got all the leverage"
MD: "yeah, i agree with that...its not a good play, there's just no benefit to the clubs, i mean i dont see any benefit for us"
BN: "i dont either and we're having a real hard time signing our own guys"

BN: "you know mark, what they're doing is they use this three days to test the market"
MD: "exactly"
BN: "...and not do anything then come back to you and say this is what i'll do"
MD: "you're right. it doesn't do any good. all its doing is making us bid against ourselves"

front offices do not like this and its being reflected in the slower than usual market

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
#5 : March 29, 2013, 11:54:57 AM

Doesn't the cap jump up 20 mil in 2 years? My guess is the players are all asking for those small deals knowing they can get paid later

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 29, 2013, 11:55:02 AM

Not collusion as much as:

1. Cap didn't rise as much as usual
2. DAL and WAS big, big spenders not in the market
3. Changing perceptions of value in the NFL - I think people are accepting this is a league about QB's and, well, QB's everything else is not even secondary but tertiary.
4. Lack of premier talent. This FA had a lot of good players but not a lot of top end great players or guys people could be fooled into thinking were great.

Also, players are taking 1 and 2 year deals to try and get into a better, they hope, market

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#7 : March 29, 2013, 11:59:57 AM

I believe in collusion in the RFA market. Only way it explains Mike Wallace last year and Cruz this year not getting any action.

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#8 : March 29, 2013, 12:12:47 PM

There must be some sort of understanding in play for everyone to behave similarly or is it just the hundredth monkey phenomena?

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#9 : March 29, 2013, 12:19:38 PM

Yep, that flat cap for some time is going to hurt the middle of the road guys.

Yup, short deals make teams able to shed cap space quickly. Also make draft picks more valuable as your 1st rounder won't be the highest paid guy on the team anymore.

Love McCoy but way overpaid.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#10 : March 29, 2013, 12:20:04 PM

I believe in collusion in the RFA market. Only way it explains Mike Wallace last year and Cruz this year not getting any action.

Unless you can "win" at the RFA deal I don't see why teams would do it. I do not, for example, understand NE not doing it when they can push PIT around with the non-poison pill type deal in terms of cap room. I mean Emmanuel Sanders for a 3rd is a steal. That is the odd exception because most of the time you are doing the work of some other team for them.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 29, 2013, 12:20:59 PM

Unless you can "win" at the RFA deal I don't see why teams would do it. I do not, for example, understand NE not doing it when they can push PIT around with the non-poison pill type deal in terms of cap room. I mean Emmanuel Sanders for a 3rd is a steal. That is the odd exception because most of the time you are doing the work of some other team for them.

great examples.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#12 : March 29, 2013, 12:22:09 PM

There must be some sort of understanding in play for everyone to behave similarly or is it just the hundredth monkey phenomena?

When faced with the same conditions most rational buyers behave the same way. americans were big car people until the 1970's. Then, as gas prices shot up, all of a sudden buyers became small car fans. NFL teams are all under similar pressures (a tightening cap) and are behaving in a rational completely expected way. If the cap jumped $50m next year you'd see them respond by spending like drunken sailors.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 29, 2013, 12:45:33 PM

To me Cruz is a win for just about anybody. If he was magically taken off the Giants roster and placed in the draft he would go top 5 if not #1 overall. The Rams and Vikings are playoff caliber teams, have multiple #1s, need a WR and don't add Cruz? I don't get it.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#14 : March 29, 2013, 12:46:52 PM

The CBA definitely didn't service the veterans like they probably assumed it would. The rookie deals are so, so valuable now that it's just not worth signing a veteran to a second deal if there's any chance they can be replaced adequately by a rookie.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Interesting Anthony Becht Tweet Re: 2013 Free Agency « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools