Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL Looking To Make Pro Bowl Selection Reality TV Show « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : April 08, 2013, 12:12:16 AM »

NFL Looking To Make Pro Bowl Selection Reality TV Show

Mike Ozanian, Forbes Staff

Traffic cop at the intersection of money and sports

Forbes.com

SportsMoney        4/06/2013 @ 7:00AM

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell believes keeping up with the Kardashians may be the solution to reversing the Pro Bowl’s long march towards irrelevance. I believe he is right.

HONOLULU, HI - JANUARY 27: Jeff Saturday #63 of the Green Bay Packers heads off the field after a play with the AFC team against the National Football Conference team during the 2013 Pro Bowl at Aloha Stadium on January 27, 2013 in Honolulu, Hawaii.  Saturday retired from the NFL after the Pro Bowl. (Image credit: Getty Images via @daylife)

It was reported in March by Ian Rapoport that the league was considering some changes to its all-star game, such as letting the AFC and NFC captains pick their teams. Now a source familiar with the league’s plans tells me the NFL has expanded the concept into making the roster selection process into an annual reality television show.

Why not? The NFL brought reality television to sports with Hard Knocks. The series put up decent ratings and more importantly expanded the NFL’s brand and demographics.

Come to think of it, why stop with the Pro Bowl? The NFL should turn the annual college draft into a reality television show too. Sports is increasingly becoming a bigger part of the entertainment industry. The difference between how actors, musicians and athletes are consumed is getting smaller. There will be little difference in how they are packaged and sold (thus, Jay-Z, an owner of the NBA’s Brooklyn Nets, recently created a sports agency and immediately signed Robinson Cano and Victor Cruz).

In a universe where celebrity is guzzled on television, online and with tweets, there is little difference between the Kardashians and the Mannings.

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

« #1 : April 08, 2013, 01:27:39 AM »

That's so gay.

« : April 08, 2013, 01:31:10 AM TheChronicHotAir »

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #2 : April 08, 2013, 01:31:04 AM »

"That's soooo gay."

Can it be any worse than it already is?   Doubt it.  Anything would be an improvement IMO.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

pljlsplltt

Second String

« #3 : April 08, 2013, 10:24:22 PM »

The sad thing is no matter how "gay" it sounds I know I'd probably watch it every week, especially if they did something with the college draft, like a behind the scenes type reality show.
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL Looking To Make Pro Bowl Selection Reality TV Show « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools