Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rutgers basketball coach fired for kicking and abusing players « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

: April 03, 2013, 05:45:40 PM

Rutgers University fired men's basketball coach Mike Rice this morning after ESPN aired video of his shoving and kicking players while berating them with gay slurs.

"Based upon recently revealed information and a review of previously discovered issues, Rutgers has terminated the contract of Mike Rice," Rutgers Athletics tweeted this morning.

Rice, 44, apologized for his behavior today in an interview outside his house in Little Silver, N.J.

"I've let so many people down: my players, my administration, Rutgers University, the fans, my family," Rice told WABC-TV.

"There's no explanation for what's on that film. There's no excuse for it. I was wrong. And I want to tell everybody who's believed in me that I'm deeply sorry for the pain and hardship that I've caused."

Rutgers Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Tim Pernetti released a statement today, saying, " I am responsible for the decision to attempt a rehabilitation of Coach Rice. Dismissal and corrective action were debated in December and I thought it was in the best interest of everyone to rehabilitate, but I was wrong. Moving forward, I will work to regain the trust of the Rutgers community."

The video caused outrage across social media after it was aired, with thousands, including New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and NBA star LeBron James, chiming in.

"If my son played for Rutgers or a coach like that he would have some real explaining to do and I'm still gone whoop on him afterwards! C'mon," James tweeted Tuesday.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/rutgers-coach-mike-rice-fire-video-kicking-berating/story?id=18868329#.UVyhyVfy1It

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#1 : April 03, 2013, 06:18:51 PM

I've had a couple of coaches bring the verbal tirades and grab guys to get attention but never shove or throw a ball at them. Too many dudes in the coaching profession think R Lee Ermy's character in Full Metal Jacket is a role model.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Escobar06

Hall of Famer

#2 : April 03, 2013, 06:32:26 PM

All of those actions would have been ignored if he didn't say f*gg*t. That's the kiss of death in pro-gay America.

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#3 : April 03, 2013, 08:12:35 PM

I don't mind the grabbing or getting in the faces of the players. Throwing balls at them is something entirely different and some of the words were going a bit too far. I am not all for the politically correct world we live in...I think it's a bit much but there's a difference between trying to tell a player to suck it up and what he was doing.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 04, 2013, 02:33:15 AM

All of those actions would have been ignored if he didn't say f*gg*t. That's the kiss of death in pro-gay America.

Sayin it to 10 year old kids in a basketball camp, should be the kiss of death in any kind of America.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#5 : April 04, 2013, 11:54:42 AM

The bigger kiss of death is LOSING. This guy has had 3 straight losing seasons. You go to Final Fours and win rings like Bobby Knight and you get a wrist slap while the "sweep it under the rug" crew goes into full spin mode. You lose 3 straight yrs and you get axed for saying "dooty head" out loud

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#6 : April 04, 2013, 12:13:02 PM

Winning cures all no doubt.  (well, almost "all")

Part of Bob Knight's "winning,"  included having an ocean full of former players who pointed to Knight as a positive influence in their life.  There were certainly some who felt the opposite, but hundreds of wins (many with non-NBA talent and a team concept) and high graduation rates created a buffer for Knight, no doubt. Not sure this guy had anything near that and the recorded acts cross way over "the line."

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

McBarron

Pro Bowler

#7 : April 04, 2013, 01:18:09 PM

He crossed the line by throwing balls VIOLENTLY at players. That's degrading, and could (SHOULD!) provoke a VIOLENT response from one of his targets. Surprised none of those players beat his ass. Surely deserved it.

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#8 : April 04, 2013, 03:49:55 PM

All of this would have been ignored if this didn't reach the media.

Escobar06

Hall of Famer

#9 : April 04, 2013, 04:24:50 PM

Sayin it to 10 year old kids in a basketball camp, should be the kiss of death in any kind of America.

Kids today aren't exactly angels when it comes to the vocabulary they use. I have several friends who are elementary school teachers, and another who's a school psychologist for Hillsborough county. The things young kids do/say these days would surprise a lot of people. I'm not saying that gives Rice the right to use any language he chooses, but it's a little hard to feel bad when kids themselves use the language on a daily basis.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#10 : April 04, 2013, 06:15:13 PM

and where do you think the kids get this/what does that have to do with a grown man?

Escobar06

Hall of Famer

#11 : April 04, 2013, 07:05:22 PM

I think it's just more a part of our society than it use to be. Video games, movies, the internet all play a big role IMO. I remember the first time I cursed in front of my parents and in front of an adult in general, it was a big deal. I don't think that's quite the case these days.

As far as what that has to do with a grown man, my point is that this would have been a big issue decades ago, but now it's hard for me to take it too seriously when I know kids talk like adults far more often than previous generations did.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#12 : April 04, 2013, 07:32:43 PM

Sorry, but I have a hard time understanding what a 10 year old says has to do with how a grown man acts and how he treats kids on a basketball court.   Especially other people's kids. 

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#13 : April 04, 2013, 08:25:38 PM

Sorry, but I have a hard time understanding what a 10 year old says has to do with how a grown man acts and how he treats kids on a basketball court.   Especially other people's kids.

Its the coach/adult who is supposed to setting the example. Not the teenagers.  Hell, they are not even teenagers yet, 10 year olds.  To see this **CENSORED**bag running his mouth, and being a bully doesn't do those kids a bit of good.

Typical bully, now that he has been exposed, he is standing in front of his home telling reporters, I am so sorry for any harm I did.  Tears flowing big time.

Escobar06

Hall of Famer

#14 : April 04, 2013, 08:41:04 PM

IMO the outcry is a result of an adult themed tirade towards innocent children. But like I said I don't think that line is as clear as it use to be, meaning it has less of an impact than it would have in previous generations. I understand the viewpoint that he's suppose to set an example, but the media (internet, games, movies etc) has been setting the example in this country for quite some time now, not parents or teachers. It's not how it should be, but it's what we've become.

If we care so much as a society then we'd stop allowing so much profanity and sexually suggestive content in almost all forms of our media. I think it's a bit hypocritical, and pointless, to focus so much attention on situations such as this, while ignoring the far bigger problem of what type of content our media puts out on a daily basis. I guarantee you there are millions of parents outraged by this, who have kids in the other room playing games they're too young to be playing, and visiting websites they have no business visiting.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rutgers basketball coach fired for kicking and abusing players « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools